Somewhere near Hotchkiss, CO

The things we do that keep us from being with our Patrol.

Postby plateaucal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Well, it looked forlorn so I took a picture. Still on the quest. Would have asked about it but it was one of those place that looked like I might be greeted with shotgun. Some buddy turned it into a pick-up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Thats gold in them thar hills!
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby plateaucal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:15 pm

True Dat, bro. Its amazing how easily that grill caught my eye at 60 mph. A friendly guy with a decent personality...like you... might get us some parts.
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Stand by for a blast from my past.
L60Boerne Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:04 pm

A young me, before my Patrol awakening with likely the best restored FJ 55 in Texas....but at 6 MPG it just wasn't useful.

L60Boerne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:48 am

Back at you. My Arizona expedition vehicle. And me trying to look like a badass. I eventually sold it and bought a Toyota truck. WTH was I thinking?
plateaucal Offline

Postby plateaucal » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:01 pm

How we roll now. Eleven cup holders and 410 h.p. I either lose my beer or spill it before its finished.
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:36 pm

Plataucal....Those are some cool rigs. I like the Jeep better. Being from Arkansas we never had enough money for gas to get far enough from home to need a camper. Oh how those Jeeps could burn the gas. Those we great off road rigs. We used them from the time I was born...well actually we camped first in the Willy's station wagon with the Hurricane Flathead four.....forded rivers deep enough to where we had to open the doors to let the water flow through so we didn't wash further down the Big Mulberry. Then one Wagoneer after a another ...then they went through a twenty year lull...but they are back now.

However the mud bog I was in two weeks ago at The Lair in CCV4 (3/4 ton Chevy) equalled all jeeps feats of the past. Windshield was so awash with mud I had to stick my head out the side window until my face was plastered as well. I can't believe I made it out of that bog without a walk back to the cabin in the dark. I think the 1200 lbs of corn in the bed game me the traction I needed.

I made it to a corner post I recognized around 8:00pm...then missed a turn and totally got lost for the 3rd time in my like. Ultimately I took a true heading North off my compass and decided to run over whatever trees necessary to keep that heading. Turns out I was 1/2 mile south of where I thought I was. Our little mesquite trees are very brittle and some are too big to run over but desperate times require desperate measures. It was epic. You should have been there.

L60Boerne out.
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:24 am

The Ram has a 3300 pound cargo capacity, riding on 4 coil springs. Rides like a caddy on the road and is a quiet as one too! With four valves and two spark plugs per cylinder, variable valve timing with cylinder deactivation gets me 12,000 pound towing and still 19 mpg unloaded. But, it's a love-hate relationship. I may have to build my own CCV/Expedition vehicle one day. It would be based on a late 70's Ford truck.

I have run just about every brand out there at one time and each had their pluses and minuses. But there is one thing I just can wrap my mind around...a three speed tranny with a non-synchro first gear. What was Datsun thinking!? Hell, my 46 Willys had a fully synchronized 4 speed. Oh yah, that little flathead would get it. Reminded me of 9n tractor. I also had a 78 Cherokee with a 401. It would get 16 on the highway. When they dropped the big Jeeps, it was a sad day.

Just remember, if your not living on the edge, your taking up too much room. Make sure you pack some blankets and granola bars in that Chevy. And if you get stuck, call me. I'll bring the Ram down. The gear driven limited slip is amazing.
plateaucal Offline

Return to What's Up?