Cross Sectional Study - COVID 19 response

General chatter, gossip, gab, hot air, rap session, etc.

Postby plateaucal » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:04 pm

I know this seems like a crazy place to start a post like this, but considering the scare going on right now, and the paucity of reliable information I though it might be interesting to tap our International membership for some "boots on the ground" intelligence. For instance, I have a friend that was laughing it off last weekend but his company is now requiring him to work from home (Washington State). Another friend in San Fran has an overlook of the local docks. She told me that until just this week cruise ships were docking and releasing passengers. That tid bit of info. just hit the news. Now they have finally quarantined the very ship she had just watch unload passengers the week before. She has canceled her travel plans.

I have some fundamental understanding of exposure and epidemiology due to my work in the industrial hygiene field, but I am not an expert. So, we decided to implement basic protocols for hygiene beginning last week. We avoid areas highly traffic by out-of-towners. We are a hub for the local ski area of Telluride. Our enhanced protocol as of today is to limit activities in ALL places frequented by people (grocery stores etc.) So we are buying groceries once a week instead of several times and beginning some basic bulk purchase of things we regularly use or will use (thank goodness I have a accumulated discount points at the liquor store). We are also being conscientious regarding personal sanitation (which I do anyway and anyone should do during flu season). My work requires me to have a full stock of Tyvek suits, N95 form fitting respirators, gloves and disinfectants, so I am all good there but don't feel the need to use any of it yet. Colorado just identified it's first couple Covid 19 cases (associated with a ski area which I called at least two weeks ago). Our third protocol phase is more rigorous and I hope we don't have to get that far.

So, what say you Patrollers, anything weird happening in your locale?
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Edgar » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:45 pm

I work in the software industry and typically travel quite a bit to the east coast. Our company has cancelled our annual user group meeting three weeks before the conference. The expected attendance was approx. 3,000 users from around the world all flying into Salt Lake City. Additionally we are under a "fly for critical meetings only" condition for the next several weeks as we wait to see how all of this will shape up.
Edgar Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:38 pm

That ship they quarantined is responsible for one death and 2 hospitalizations here in CA.

I am already a moderate germaphobe, having had my life destroyed by a bacterial infection - Lyme disease. Here come the Corona and Lyme jokes, I can hear them already. :lol: The Lyme triggered severe rheumatoid arthritis which I am being treated for with high end biologics, hence I am very immune compromised. I have reason to be concerned with this one because the people that are dying have underlying health conditions and a compromised immune system. I volunteer at the local hospital which is always very proactive especially during flu season, always receive an 'A' rating on the audits. The hospital has been sending us notices reminding us of procedures, telling us not to speak to the press, and that as of today they are not treating any cases of COVID. I volunteer with a Therapy dog and we go around visiting patients, I have always already been very conscious about avoiding ER and rooms marked as infectious, hand sanitizing in and out of the rooms regardless, avoiding rooms where I hear someone coughing. Our Therapy dog group also visits senior living facilities, rehab facilities, libraries, schools, colleges, etc. Out of caution I don't go to the senior living facilities and the rehab facilities; when we are at schools I am very wary if a student seems sick. Yesterday was the forth of a four day event at an elementary school, we've been bringing the dogs to the library and having kids come in to read to the dogs. One of the ladies in the group wanted me to sign a get well card for someone that had just had surgery. As she hands me the card she coughs, not covering her mouth, and has a tissue in the same hand with the cards. I backed off, saying I didn't want to take the card because she had just coughed, explaining that I am immune-compromised. She had a fit, snatching the card away, getting all nasty and ultimately calling me ignorant as she stormed out of the library.

I was at Costco week before last. Middle of the day on a Thursday and the place was packed, it was crazy busy. Since then I have seen people posting about how crazy it's gotten there, and they are sold out of toilet paper. Ok, that's a bit extreme I think. Too many people have zombie apocalypse on the brain I think.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:59 pm

I hope you were not to taken aback by your encounter with the woman at the school. I have a saying that applies in my business as well as elsewhere: " You can't fix stupid."

If I am paranoid about anything it is West Nile virus and Lyme. We have both around here.
plateaucal Offline

Postby SBP78g60 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:55 pm

Hey I'm in western Australia, and hysteria has really set in, we havnt been able to buy toilet paper (just our normal amount we buy every week or so) it's not just that but also baby wipes and nappys (we have a baby!!!) pasta, rice and tin food/ sauces. I'm in a pretty large metro area as well..there's only been a couple of cases and one death from my side of Australia but that guy came from that cruise ship. There have been people fighting in shops over things. People appear to be loosing their minds, honestly tho get prepared if you feel the need but be civilised. As has been said "you can't fix stupid"

PS I know I havnt posted but I'm still alive and still working on my patrol
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:23 pm

SBP78g60 wrote:Hey I'm in western Australia, and hysteria has really set in, we havnt been able to buy toilet paper (just our normal amount we buy every week or so) it's not just that but also baby wipes and nappys (we have a baby!!!) pasta, rice and tin food/ sauces. I'm in a pretty large metro area as well..there's only been a couple of cases and one death from my side of Australia but that guy came from that cruise ship. There have been people fighting in shops over things. People appear to be loosing their minds, honestly tho get prepared if you feel the need but be civilised. As has been said "you can't fix stupid"

PS I know I havnt posted but I'm still alive and still working on my patrol

That's just wild.

EDIT: I had to go to Costco again last night. 8:30 on a Friday night and the place was still busy. It's eerie to see empty shelves at Costco. They're out of rice and many other staples, and of course toilet paper.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mdawg4x4 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 am

We have a few people in Japan now and a few more supposed to be headed that way Friday. All travel was reported canceled with those already there being brought back early. However, the guy sitting next to me says those in our department are back on for leaving Friday. Not sure how I feel about when they return. Maybe I need to retire before they get back!
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Postby SBP78g60 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:00 am

Took this today. Pretty strange to see but its everywhere
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:48 am

:o

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Greetings,

In support and addition to Plateaucal's information I'm hearing, like many of you, that a Nationwide quarantine is forthcoming, maybe an announcement as early as Sunday.

I'm not sure how that is possible but that is what I am hearing. The good news is that this "flu" is highly contagious but not as deadly as one would believe.

Me, once back in the country, I'll be stock piling cash and fuel. Even from Central America I was able to order plenty of food for several months via Amazon several days ago, our San Antonio stores are empty, plus our deer camp has endless food.

We need to prepare for unusual times, not deadly just unusual. The best chess players will weather it the best. Maybe a 5 gallon propane tank and burner too. Stuff like that.

Patrolling prepared,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - For Sale (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:35 pm

One thing to NOT worry about is city services..ie water...each city has layers of employees for each job.
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:05 pm

All quiet on the Western Front. Ammo;check, food;check, water;check, board games and cards;check.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Ok, I'm going to say it: can someone please explain why the extreme measures when the numbers and results don't seem to justify it? Why does this seem to be gross overreacting on all levels?

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:56 pm

RiverPatrol,

From what I gather here is the difference(s).
a). A normal "flu" doesn't invade the lungs.
b). Once in the lungs it can leave them scarred and thus with less capacity thereafter....how much less depends on the person.
c). A normal "flu" leaves one the same as before once recovered.
d). A normal flu can't be carried for 14-37 days without the carrier knowing it.
e). A normal flu is 4x less contagious than this Chinese flu

Because the Chinese Flu invades the lungs it requires hospitalization in some cases. Because it is/can be widely spread innocently then it has the potential to require a huge number of ventilators all at once.Those left out of the lottery for beds will likely die. Italy is only giving beds to those with the highest probability of survival. That is government run healthcare in a nutshell.

Because it has the chance to debilitate the survivors, unlike the normal flu, then at some point fuel truck drivers, bankers, hair stylist, fruit pickers, cattle barn auctioneers and grocery store clerks might decide not to go into work and therefore supply issues might develop...in my humble opinion. I just don't think everyone understands what being a survivor might mean. This is what wall street understands...they get the best information, unusually private information and weeks ahead of the investors.....don't you know. US Treasury Bonds went negative today by the way.

Patrolling from a safe distance,
L60Boerne
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

Postby mad4hws » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:13 pm

I live in CT, less than 60 minutes outside NYC. the tri state area has over half of the recorded cases so far. Yesterday, a really good friend of ours and the confirmation sponsor for 2 of our kids was admitted to the hospital with breathing and heart issues. She's only 45, but as David said, she has asthma - so is really susceptible.

I hope that this is an extreme over-reaction. Nothing would make me happier. However, I fear that is not the case and that what we are now seeing is just the beginning. Give it 2 weeks and lets see where we are all at. Hopefully we can look back and say it was a gross over-reaction. In the meantime, shouldn't we all play it as safe as we can and give the experts the benefit of the doubt and heed their instructions?
mad4hws Offline

Next

Return to Bull Session