Cross Sectional Study - COVID 19 response

General chatter, gossip, gab, hot air, rap session, etc.

Postby plateaucal » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:55 am

More fun with facts and graphs from Switzerland. https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Well, if it helps, this is not the first time our government has sacrificed a few pawns. But, the silence is deafening.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 am

plateaucal wrote:More fun with facts and graphs from Switzerland. https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Well, if it helps, this is not the first time our government has sacrificed a few pawns. But, the silence is deafening.

Graphs? Typical, you only look at the pictures. :lol: This is actually a wealth of well researched information, I've blown my entire morning reading and following links there. :doh: A couple good take-aways:
https://swprs.org/on-the-treatment-of-covid-19/
https://www.medicineuncensored.com/a-st ... f-thin-air
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm

Ms. River, I read a whole bunch of stuff but some of the words were really hard.

I did a little more research on alternative treatments, since I doubt I'll be able to get HCQ (see your first link). Quercetin sounds like a possible alternative. I ordered this on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU ... UTF8&psc=1
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Good luck with that. Mind the dosage, it's considerably lower than the article.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:51 pm

There was a big word that I finally figured out called "bioavailability". https://ndnr.com/autoimmuneallergy-medi ... quercetin/

Also the manufacturer says this; https://data.integrativepro.com/product ... -sheet.pdf
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:59 pm

For that matter you could chew on some grapefruit rinds. :lol:

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:14 pm

Well a healthy diet inclusive of fresh fruits and vegetables is good thing. I read that somewhere. But here is another article on quercetin. Some comments in the "comment section" are priceless.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectious ... id19/87373
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:48 am

plateaucal wrote:Ms. River, I read a whole bunch of stuff but some of the words were really hard.

I did a little more research on alternative treatments, since I doubt I'll be able to get HCQ (see your first link). Quercetin sounds like a possible alternative. I ordered this on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU ... UTF8&psc=1

I do know where you can get chloroquine, which HCQ is a derivative of. Legally...

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:47 am

Well, it would be interesting to know.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:45 pm

plateaucal wrote:Well, it would be interesting to know.

PM sent.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:38 pm

From what I have read...yes, I know it is completely unreliable, but it sounds like the Aussies are getting hammered by their government over this whole thing. I am kind of surprised that none of our Oz friends have commented. Maybe their voice was squelched as well. Or perhaps there is nothing going on. Who knows these days.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:51 am

I've wondered the same thing. We hear from a couple of them here that they're still in a lockdown type situation for the most part but that's about it. They were doing real well keeping the numbers incredibly low for a long time, they were under 150 deaths for months. That's incredible. But I guess some folks around Melbourne and/or SW area got tired of lockdown and things started heating up. They're up to 266 deaths now. Still for an entire continent, that's pretty amazing. I've talked to one acquaintance from down under recently and I brought up the fact that they're still in lockdown and seem pretty content with it. He didn't have much response, so they seem pretty content with it I guess.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:58 pm

plateaucal wrote:From what I have read...yes, I know it is completely unreliable, but it sounds like the Aussies are getting hammered by their government over this whole thing. I am kind of surprised that none of our Oz friends have commented. Maybe their voice was squelched as well. Or perhaps there is nothing going on. Who knows these days.

They probably don't want to get involved in our politics, since it's clear for the rest of the world that in the States this issue has been heavily politicized.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Esteban wrote:
plateaucal wrote:From what I have read...yes, I know it is completely unreliable, but it sounds like the Aussies are getting hammered by their government over this whole thing. I am kind of surprised that none of our Oz friends have commented. Maybe their voice was squelched as well. Or perhaps there is nothing going on. Who knows these days.

They probably don't want to get involved in our politics, since it's clear for the rest of the world that in the States this issue has been heavily politicized.

Interestingly, I have been approached by two different acquaintances in two different countries - one of which is Australia but not from this hobby subject - that both prompted the conversation with their concerns about what is happening here, not so much related to COVID. It was interesting to say the least because in the realms that they know me they were never exposed to my views. Both broached the subject very cautiously, not knowing which way I lean. Once they determined that I was tolerant they expanded upon their opinions and concerns. Yes, the world is watching us and they are worried for our future but not because of COVID.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny Roadkill » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi all,

nah, down here we're free to voice opinions - worthwhile and otherwise - in whatever form we wish...for now ! The following words are mine only, and I don't pretend to speak for anyone else, Australian or not...

We've been extraordinarily lucky to avoid mass community transmission so far, with Greater Melbourne in Victoria the notable hotspot at the moment. They never actually got to zero new cases per day for long enough to be sure before lifting restrictions in the interests of economic prudence, and unfortunately they've had a bad run for a few weeks now. Hopefully they will continue to reduce the new caseload over the coming weeks and get this thing back in the box, but realistically the death toll will likely continue to climb (over 300 nationally as of today, but a drop in the ocean compared to some countries) as already infected people sadly lose their fight. Melbourne and Sydney are at a disadvantage because of population, population density and also perhaps a proportionally large number of people with certain characteristics that lend themselves to non-compliance with the guidelines in place. There is also a growing number of people generally who are buying into conspiracy theories on social media that also adds to the difficulty experienced by governance in setting things up to minimise transmission rates (c'mon people - EVERY major government - even those that hate each other - on Earth conspiring to control you by screwing their own economies and making themselves unpopular ? There's an election in the US later this year and of course some will look to exploit the situation there, but here in Australia we're stuck with the current mob in Canberra for a little while yet, for better or worse...).

Economically, the effect is pretty ugly - lots of people out of work, and lots of businesses unable to convince people to work when they can sit at home and get an increased federal government "JobSeeker" allowance without even looking for work. Personally I've been incredibly lucky - living in South Australia where the only new cases are people coming back from interstate or overseas and they are put into forced quarantine on arrival (but that still gets screwed up by people with addictions and compulsions who just can't toe the line), and both my wife and I have jobs that haven't been too badly affected, except that she has to work from home and I have to get up at 4.30am now that my employer has split us into shifts to reduce numbers onsite. In fact my employer (an automotive electronics manufacturer) is starting to get unexpectedly good sales numbers up now that people realise they won't be going overseas anytime soon and are doing up 4wds, camper trailers, caravans and RVs for driving holidays. Silver linings...I also get 2 free hours each day between work finishing and picking up my 3yo from childcare, and the government made childcare free for about the same time my hours were reduced when things were really uncertain so it all balanced out for us. Many have not been so fortunate - our neighbours are a nice couple, both with professional careers but for some time both were surviving on the government "JobKeeper" scheme when their work dried up - and many have it far worse still (non Aus-citizens don't get a cracker)...even our Reserve Bank issued a release yesterday quoting Jim Morrison from The Doors: "The future is uncertain and the end is always near". Strange times indeed !

As for US attitudes toward this COVID thing and politics generally, I can't comment with any real understanding - except to say that reading this thread has been amazing in opening up my understanding of American attitudes toward many things (and I fully appreciate that in a country of 300+ million people there is a vast array of opinions) and I'm learning a whole lot about the hows and whys behind some of the views I have never understood, like how "hard-wired" the hard won Constitutional freedoms are ingrained into many Americans. No judgement here at all, it is really great to start to get a handle on some of that stuff - yes, I'm getting sufficiently long in the tooth to be interested in that stuff. :ugeek: Please continue this discussion with gusto, I'm really enjoying getting to know a bit more about the diversity of thinking in your neck of the woods and it helps me understand better some of the things that have long escaped me, as we hear a lot about what goes on in the US thanks to the Murdoch empire's grip on our local news coverage but the detail (and context/perspective) is often lacking in the reporting. Your words are gold, and I bask in their glow - thank you !

Wishing you all the very best of luck in managing the impossible balancing act this virus has brought upon us globally, and thank you for thinking of us down here on the island continent.

Cheers,
D
'71 P510 Wagon - the smile generator.
'74 G60H - strawberry farm patrol.
'78 G60H Ute Cab - the cherry on top.
'80 G61H - the start of things to come.
'93 Pulsar - my daily driver.
'01 Kessner 7x4 - the pack horse.
'07 Challenge Camper - home away from home.
'12 Outlander - the grumpy bunny, her daily driver.
'14 200EXC - a chainsaw with wheels.
Johnny Roadkill Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

PreviousNext

Return to Bull Session