Cross Sectional Study - COVID 19 response

General chatter, gossip, gab, hot air, rap session, etc.

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:06 pm

It's in the same vein as having the outside lights working, it is simply a measure of comfort. Only because I have experienced humanity at it's worst. When it's all over, they get put away again unused.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:04 pm

David, you must have made it Colorado because I think you got a contact high on your way across the border. I would be more than slightly concerned if I lived anywhere near, LA, San Fran, NY, Baltimore (insert large city name here). But, if you have better ideas, pray tell.

Thank you for the compliment, by the way, Butch Cassidy was a folk hero in these parts. Of course that depends upon whether you owned a bank or not. Interestingly he began is career in Telluride. What a coincidence.
https://assets.atlasobscura.com/media/W ... mllbnQiXV0
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Soooo, got any good guns you wanna trade for Patrol parts, River? That dusty old gun case sounds interesting.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:48 pm

plateaucal wrote:Soooo, got any good guns you wanna trade for Patrol parts, River? That dusty old gun case sounds interesting.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, the dusty old gun chest is interesting. My father built it before I was born. He had an interest in guns when they moved to Montana where I was born. He got into hunting, that is how he put food on the table during the winter when he couldn't work at his profession as a land surveyor. All three of the rifles were his. One is a .22 with a deadly accurate sight on it. The other two are a .243 and a .270, these were his and my mother's deer rifles. My father made them himself, had the barrels made in Billings, put Mauser actions on them and made the stocks himself out of walnut. They truly are beautiful. One of the handguns was his service revolver when he worked security on the train, an S&W .357 with grips he made himself. Inside the dusty old chest are also a couple of spotting scopes and a tripod stand. There used to be a bunch of bench loading equipment but that has disappeared over the years, although there are still dozens of .357 rounds that he bench loaded. This stuff is all older than I am.

The chest and the deer rifles are going to my nephew, the only other one in the family that has any interest in firearms. The rest will likely stay, it's all stuff that I can manage. With a fake right shoulder I can't fire the rifles, got rid of the shotgun a few years ago. But, what kind of parts do you have. ;)

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Oh wow! The history is priceless I am sure. I would have to give you my whole Patrol. I am guessing that .22 has a peep site. Your father could probably nail a head shot on a sprinting rabbit at 30 yards, easy. I am sure your nephew will cherish them. Mauser actions are still the gold standard and many old military rifles were sporterized after the war.

I have a few guns like that. The old timers didn't collect them, they used them. My wife's grandfather gave me his old Mossberg .22 and a Mossberg bolt action shotgun. He did so right in front of his own grandsons. And I heard the stories of regular rabbit and squirrel dinners. I had to give up the .22 to end some "internal family strife". But found another just like it. The old Mossy's are simple but fine shooters. I have mine rigged out for Dove plinking.

You can tell by the way a gun handles, looks and shoots about the person that owned it and how it was used. My wife's grandpa's guns practically speak. I also have my dad's old double barrel. Solid and plainly built just like he was. It's a quick handler and I am sure it dropped many birds.

BTW, my dad was a surveyor too. I still have his old theodolite in my office.

Actually, I have a few parts left. Mostly small stuff, some body parts, electrical stuff and a grille which I am planning on making in to a man cave display. Most of it will probably go to the L60Boerne Patrol Museum and Parlor. However, until that time comes, let me know if there is any thing you need.
plateaucal Offline

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 pm

But it might be best if you PM'd me. I don't want to start a "patrol family" feud.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm

plateaucal wrote: I am guessing that .22 has a peep site. Your father could probably nail a head shot on a sprinting rabbit at 30 yards, easy.

The first time I ever used the rifle, I did nail a head shot on a standing rabbit at 30 yards. I thought I had missed because he didn't move. Got and walked over to him and he still didn't move. Perfect shot right in the head, he died sitting up.

You're absolutely right about how a gun shoots and handles saying a lot about the person. These guns are true prizes.

plateaucal wrote:BTW, my dad was a surveyor too. I still have his old theodolite in my office.

That is an amazing coincidence. When they moved to Montana he was working for the Forest Service, winters were tough.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm

My dad worked for the Corps of Engineers. He was probably working the dam sites in South and North Dakota near the time your dad was in Montana. The case on the theodolite is inscribed in ink with the name "Brownie". I learned that he earned that nickname due his dark tan from many days in the sun of the Northern plains.

Seriously though, send me list. I'll check my stock. I will not let these old parts go to waste. David is not a purest, so he won't mind.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:34 pm

I think I'm good on parts, thanks though.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:11 pm

I think we just came "full circle". Thinking about my dad.....The course of my family life was changed by the death of my little brother from influenza, around 1964. It broke my father down and my mom ended up raising eight kids on her own from thereon. The book I referenced earlier regarding the impact of mosquito borne disease and other epidemics is full of insight. Viruses and bacteria have changed the course of history (and families) since the dawn of civilization. I suspect this will be no different, but I have yet to discern what will be the ultimate outcome. Maybe I am overplaying this, but we'll see.

Thanks for indulging me. We are still in this for the long run.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:04 pm

It will be an interesting ride, no doubt.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Plateaucal, I'd love to be up there but my wife will not leave the nest for now. I'm hoping to fly the coop in about a week for Colorado.

I need to get the latest secret patrol from Eddy's lair to paint and body before I split.

We will see, next week will be good but I'm hearing Nationwide restrictions are coming next Tues to help slow the roll of the Chinese flu.

It is wise to prep and prepare.

Patrolling while prepping,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - For Sale (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:59 pm

I have no idea why you want to watch the demise of civilization, as we know it, from Lake City, CO. No worries, I will find your body, gun frozen to hands probably. Hopefully you will not meet the same end as some locals did back in 1874.
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:19 pm

The view.
63 Soft Top - For Sale (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:06 pm

I found some music for you to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSjPoUtlkyk
plateaucal Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Bull Session