Plates for rubber gear boot brackets

Looking for a part or a vehicle? Post here.

Postby ckhorne » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm not sure how to describe them... There's apparently some kind of bracket that goes around the rubber boots for the parking brake and the 4wd levers. I presume they look like some kind of rectagular donuts with holes in them.

Does anyone have them and willing to part with them? I'm happy to pay for them + shipping.
ckhorne Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 pm

ckhorne wrote:I'm not sure how to describe them... There's apparently some kind of bracket that goes around the rubber boots for the parking brake and the 4wd levers. I presume they look like some kind of rectagular donuts with holes in them.

Does anyone have them and willing to part with them? I'm happy to pay for them + shipping.

The models with the vinyl boots, including the parking brake, have the plates that go on top and are bolted to the captive nuts underneath. Yours is probably like that. I don't recall what year they changed to the wider cover over the transmission with rubber boots for all the levers.

If you already have the rubber boots, you can modify them slightly on the underside lip (to avoid the captive nuts) and install over the cover without any of the metal plates. I did that on mine (65) years ago.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby ckhorne » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Esteban wrote:If you already have the rubber boots, you can modify them slightly on the underside lip (to avoid the captive nuts) and install over the cover without any of the metal plates. I did that on mine (65) years ago.

I have the reproduction rubber boots (sold by anpira83 on ebay). What you're describing would likely be easier... do you have a picture of your setup?
ckhorne Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 pm

I will take a picture tomorrow.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Here are two pictures of the rubber boot for the 4wd and H/L shifters. The hole in the cover is roughly the same as in later models that came with the rubber boots standard.

Shifter boot 1.jpg

In the following photo you can see that I didn't cut the underneath lip to clear the captive nuts, since all were removed. I put some duct tape to cover the holes and prevent fumes from coming in.

Shifter boot 1.jpg

It is possible that you might need to fix somehow the rubber boot to the cover. The boots on mine (except the transmission shifter one) are original from Nissan. The aftermarket ones are not as flexible. I once tried them some 20 years ago, and it was specially a problem with the parking brake boot, that lifted from one side of the cover every time that it was engaged.

The boot for the shifter is from a Mazda or Ford Courier pickup truck. It is hold with tape to the cover since there's no other choice. Since on top I have a carpet felt and then carpet, you don't ever see the redneck solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby ckhorne » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for taking the pictures - that's somewhat what I had in mind when you said that, but that helps visualize it.

I'm not sure if I have enough material there to be able to do that with, but I'll give it a try. I'm in the middle of a restoration, so I'm not sure I'm willing to use duct tape to fill in the gap.... I'll play with it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!
ckhorne Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Ebay seller from Columbia named anapira83 can make them for you if you have the same boots as I have in my 63 and 65s.

He is a good guy, I've used him many times.

Patrolling for parts,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Return to Wanted