Accidental Visitor...

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby Oddbod » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Well folks, I have decided to turn myself in.
I joined and visited this forum in July 2017 with little intention of hanging around as I was just seeking some wiper motor information.
I don't own a Nissan Patrol but have used parts from them and have always liked them as vehicles go.

So that said I don't have any pic's to offer up vehicle wise but approx 18 months later I am still here lurking and posting and find new friends and hopefully making enough of a contribution to justify my continued existence here for now at least.

I live in the belief it is always easy to take, but I also like to think that I can give something back if possible.

To best describe me, I am a hot rodder, I have several YouTube videos titled Cadflat Movies and also known as a bit of a nutty professor at times so my friends so they tell me.

I only have 3 threads on here; one of which I sought wiper arm spring info which never did lead to giving me an answer and the other two posts are self explanatory should you care to review them.
I am sure most folks would find my threads entertaining if nothing else, but hopefully informative too.

I drive a 1959/60 F100 (an ongoing upgrade project) and have a passion for early Cadillac flathead engines in particular as well as Model A & T Fords for hot rod purposes mainly, although I have owned several restored Model A Fords.

I guess you can't own everything so I am sticking to what I like and know.

In the meantime thanks for your interest and patients and may I wise you all and your families a very merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year.

Russ.

https://youtu.be/uYIUzCopjpA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Who needs presents with words like that!

Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas to you and all your family!

The F100 is a gem. Beautiful picture.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:26 am

One of my earliest childhood memories is of an F100 that looked just like yours. I think I was 5, maybe 6. I was helping my dad get the dog in the back of the truck. We were lowering the tailgate when the dog (a yellow lab) got excited and jumped in. The tailgate wasn't all the way down and crashed on my chin, resulting in a trip to the hospital and several stitches. I recovered, I think.

Nice vehicles! Very envious.
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Oddbod » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 am

Yes I am quite fond of it.
I am the 3rd owner since it was manufactured out of the KS Ford factory way back when.
It was only used by an old farmer to patrol his farm and did no hard work so I was told.
It got resold in KS before the owner moved up to OR where it lived until 2004 when I purchased it.

Since then it has done travelled to WA, CA, NV, UT, CO, NM and AZ.
It was not such a good highway driving vehicle as top speed was a problem.
The fastest I have ever gone in it was years ago thru the Rocky's running down hill in neutral when I hit 85mph.
The rest of the time I just sat on a stately 60mph.

The original 223 inline 6 cylinder engine hauled many a heavy trailer load of parts and cars for me, although it was a bit under powered in mountain country and struggled even more in altitude to the point where I almost did not get over the old hill climb on the I25 south of Trinidad CO when loaded.

I tried to take a short cut heading south of Sedona via Cottonwood AZ and thru Jerome AZ, but altitude when loaded killed me I could not finish the climb and got run out of town by the local Sheriff, seems they do not like big trailered loads passing thru that area, due to the nature of the winding road and altitude.
I was lucky enough to have stalled in town and could turn around in a drive way and head down hill again.
The hill climb into Jerome AZ caused me to drive I believe near 9 miles in 1st gear on terribly winding and steep road with no opportunity to get a decent gear change in.
I think I could have done much better hauling at that time with a Nissan G60.

I have since updated it with a Goodwrench SBC engine, o/d auto tranny, disc brakes up front and a/c.
I made a locking lift up lid for the box and installed decent seat belts.
The one thing I need to do is add a radio, since the old original radio has died.

One of buddy's tells me the only thing missing is Lassie, which kinder matches in with your story of the Labrador although I think Lassie was a Collie from memory, probably both nearly the same color though.

Thanks for your interest and kind words,

Russ.
Oddbod Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 am

My mother lives in Cottonwood, I know that road through Jerome. Brave.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Yeah brave maybe, never been thru there before, but the Sheriff had other words to describe my actions, most are not repeatable.
You know that road out of Jerome heading towards Cottonwood when I was run out of town, is so winding and steep, I was actually unsure whether the loaded F100 could make the decent safely.

My first problem was it would not hold in 2nd gear and so I had to physically keep it engaged or else I would have been in a run away situation as I only had unboosted drum brakes all round. I took my lap belt off, opened the drivers door onto the first catch, held the shifter in 2nd gear, said a few hail Mary's and down we went. Thru the grace of God only I am sure, I made it to the gas station at the end of that road in a cold sweat.

I've never been so confronted by such a serious road/driving situation in all my life and hope never to get myself into such a situation again.
Where I come from mountains don't get so high or so steep and I really showed how naïve I was to the area.

I am sure you G60 guys would have some stories to tell about some of the places you guys would have gotten into.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Volkmann77 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:13 am

I had a 1967 Ford F100 before. Should have never sold that truck. :(
Volkmann77 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Oddbod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 am

I hear you, I had a 1961 with the Y block V8 engine and granny gear tranny and that darn thing was just the best. 8-) 8-)
Like you I should never have sold it. :( :(
That thing could haul ass, had great torque for towing and it loved the altitude...
The brakes were its weak spot, they seemed to not be able to keep up with the rest of its performance. :o :o

I also owned for a time a 1967 GMC C15 long bed pickup running a SBC 327 engine with 31" diameter tires.
That thing did really haul ass and with twin gas tanks, even when hauling a load, you could lay down a lot of miles without gas stop interruptions which can be problematic with a big trailer in small busy gas stations...
Oddbod Offline

Return to Introduce Yourself!