Tinking of buying

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby john12 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:20 pm

I got all the wheels off and the brakes apart and cleaned up. looks like the front cylinders have been changed at some time. The back has not, the rubber has deteriorated and the adjusters are frozen up.
I think I will order the shoes and cylinders from 4wdproducts in Australia
The front cylinders cleaned up good and all the rubber seams well so, for now, I will just change the shoes. Where do I find them?
I need to get a master cylinder ordered.
Any tips on getting the rear brake adjusters freed up? I have been soaking in PB Blaster.

I took the radiator to the shop, the guy said it would be ready in about a week.

Sometime I will have to replace all the rubber bushings underneath.
1966 Patrol
Tinker
john12 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby curlrider11 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:22 am

I'm not sure on front shoes, I think they're different than rear, maybe River or Esteban know a source. I think some guys have probably had their shoes rebonded with brake material somewhere though I don't know where.
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:34 am

curlrider11 wrote:I'm not sure on front shoes, I think they're different than rear, maybe River or Esteban know a source. I think some guys have probably had their shoes rebonded with brake material somewhere though I don't know where.

The front shoes are different from the rear, although they have the same drums. They were designed to be relined from time to time, and that's what many members here have done. There are places on the internet were you can send, but the best will be to find a shop that deals with heavy trucks, since they're also relining the shoes all the time. I will go this route. Getting new shoes if available from Australia, will be an overkill. Mine has over 300k miles and I've never replaced with new shoes, always relined them.

john12 wrote:I got all the wheels off and the brakes apart and cleaned up. looks like the front cylinders have been changed at some time. The back has not, the rubber has deteriorated and the adjusters are frozen up.
I think I will order the shoes and cylinders from 4wdproducts in Australia
The front cylinders cleaned up good and all the rubber seams well so, for now, I will just change the shoes. Where do I find them?
I need to get a master cylinder ordered.
Any tips on getting the rear brake adjusters freed up? I have been soaking in PB Blaster.

I took the radiator to the shop, the guy said it would be ready in about a week.

Sometime I will have to replace all the rubber bushings underneath.

Good to know about your radiator! :clap: :clap:

Regarding the wheel cylinders, if you've taken them out, try to see in what condition they are. A lot of times you can run a brake honing tool and polish the cylinder and with the seals, they'll be good to go. Cheap too.

Trying to source the brake master cylinder is also going to be difficult, and unnecessary in my concept, unless you want a true original look for yours. Better to install a Wilwood dual master cylinder. In my notes I have the following at $145:

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/ ... o=260-8794

With the rear brake adjusters, keep at the penetrating oil until they get loose.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby john12 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:07 am

I got the back brake adjusters freed up, new cylinders and shoes. Sent front shoes off to get relined. Still waiting for the guy to get the radiator done, the guy is 80 years old and the only radiator shop around. Waiting on the long brake hose for the front, O'riellys says it is coming.
Been cleaning and tinkering
I took out the dash gauges. Where can I find new face plates? It seams like I saw some vinyl decals available, but can't fine the site.
the wheel stud on one of the back axles are shot than all the rest, the lug nuts don't get full threads. Took them out and tryed to get new ones but the auto parts stores can't fine them so put them back in for now, minus one, when I was sucking them up, one was stubborn and I striped the lug nut and messed the treads up, I will keep looking for new studs.
1966 Patrol
Tinker
john12 Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am

Regarding the dash gauges, maybe member yitzac1990 has the complete panel still available.

https://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=5498

Talking about restoration, member Mattbob53 did a fantastic job redoing his gauges. it's worth taking a look:

https://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopi ... =21&t=4735

Hope another member here can help you with the wheel stud. I will also look if I have a spare wheel stud. The nuts can be sourced at a parts store with the following info supplied by member Zed:

1/2”x20
5/8” length
13/16” hex
Dorman 611-016
Open style fine thread
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Flaggoni » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:36 am

Welcome to the group!
Sent you a PM
Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

Postby john12 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:33 pm

Got the radiator and heater core back $330, but looks good,
Brakes are all done, but I am having trouble finding the 18" long brake hose that goes to the front axel, any ideas where I can get one. I don't want to put the old one back on, most of the rubber is gone. Found the ones for the front wheels, but had to make a clip to hold in place.
I bought the gauge cluster from yitzac 1990. The speedometer cable connection is different than mine. I will have to find a new cable.
I put in new defrost hose.
The gas tank had a small leak, so drained and removed it, beat it with my hand and got about a cup of rust flake out of it. I bought a kit and recoated the inside, took most of the day, got it mounted back, hope it works.
Hope I don't find any more surprises.
John
1966 Patrol
Tinker
john12 Offline

Postby zed » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:57 am

Last bumped by john12 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:57 am.
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself!