New owner here: 1967 Patrol is now in Wisconsin

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby Sconnierider » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:52 pm

After a year, I'm finally able to make some progress on the Patrol. Will to figure out which direction to go on the fuel tank. This thing has more grease fittings than my 42HP tractor with attachments! Front and read diff's already dumped and refilled. Will work on the trans and transfer case tomorrow. Dropping the oil pan to take a look around. It ran pretty well before I started taking it apart, at least it fired up and idled pretty easily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sconnierider Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:32 pm

Looks like you might be a Nissan Ninja the way you are whipping those tools around!

I rehabbed five fuel tanks..just take it into shop and have them scrap as much inner wall lining out as possible...then replace all the fuel lines, rebuild the pump, and you for sure want to keep the mechanical pump, then you are finished with the easy stuff. :clap: :dance:

Rolling and Patrolling,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby Sconnierider » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:57 am

I called all over NE Wisconsin in an attempt to find someone that cleans out varnished tanks to no avail.. Sooo, armed with so old-timer intel from folks up here, I did it myself. Sluiced it out well with soapy water. They went and bought a 2" torch at Harbor Freight. Hooked it up to a gas grill propane bottle and proceeded (https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q= ... ng%20torch) to heat the snot out of every square inch of the tank while alternately beating (gently) on it with a large rubber mallet to dislodge the material loosened by the heat. The chips of tarnish that came out were almost 3/32" thick! Heat / cool / bang until nothing else came out. Painted the tank with a rust inhibitive product. Installed all new fuel line and clear inline filter. My local gas station up here has a non-ethanol 87 octane which I will feed it. Was not able to save the fuel sender so I purchased this setup on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ3SD66R?re ... tails&th=1) but installed the gauge under the drivers seat adjacent to where the battery cover is as I didn't want to alter the look of the factory dash. Simply need to lift the seat the see the fuel level. Keep in mind, this is a local runner..... I don't go far. May not work for someone else.
Sconnierider Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:20 am

Excellent progress and good tips on the tank cleaning.

Very interesting the fuel sender/gauge combo and your setup. Congratulations.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself!