New to the Patrol world

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby poinrobe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:54 am

1966 nissan patrol.jpg
I recently purchased a 1966 Patrol from a friend and couldnt be more excited! I am a lifelong motorcycle enthusiast who got the vintage restoration bug several years ago, I recently finished a complete restoration including a full motor rebuild of a 1963 Triumph. last week i brought it by friends place to give him a look at it. After talking bikes for a while, he asked the obvious question: "what is going to be my next project"? I said I was interested in tackling an old truck project. Whereupon, he said. "well i got the perfect project for you". I lead me out to one of his barns and unveiled the beauty pictured below. Fortunately, It started and I was able to drive it the 20 miles between his place and mine.

That said, It definitely needs alot of help:
1. the roof was heavily damaged when a tree fell on it many years ago. I am currently looking at obtaining a "donor vehicle" with a roof in reasonable shape. If anyone has a line one, please send me the info.
2. The truck runs but smokes BADLY. I anticipate getting the engine professionally rebuilt. I have rebuilt motorcycle engines, but never a truck motor. From the info on this forum, it sounds like most of the parts needed to accomplish this rebuild are still available from forklift supply sources as the same motor was used in various forklifts. Is this a correct assumption?
3. Brakes barely work.
4. Suspension components and steering assembly appear to be in dire need of attention.... Are the various components including rubbers odds and ends still available to accomplish this?
5. The starter motor grinds and will only occasionally engage the flywheel. I anticipate having this rebuilt as apparently, replacements are no longer available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
poinrobe Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby r1lark » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum and to Patrols!

(I have a Triumph too, but it has four wheels instead of two.)
Paul
r1lark Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:23 am

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: Congratulations on your new project. Believe me, if you were able to drive it home 20 miles you're already way ahead of the game.

There's a hard top available in TX here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5668

Yes, engine can easily be rebuilt. Here's a current thread of one being built right now, with great pictures: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5383&start=75

Brakes parts are easily available on eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=p ... 0&_sacat=0

Steering and suspension parts are hit and miss, all depends on what you need.

Pretty much between the forum, vendors and ebay there's nothing that can't be found somehow.

More pics would be great, and if you could provide pics of the ID and engine numbers so I can add it to the Registry that would be most awesome. 8-)
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby poinrobe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:45 am

RiverPatrol wrote:Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: Congratulations on your new project. Believe me, if you were able to drive it home 20 miles you're already way ahead of the game.

There's a hard top available in TX here: https://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=5668

Yes, engine can easily be rebuilt. Here's a current thread of one being built right now, with great pictures: https://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=75

Brakes parts are easily available on eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=p ... 0&_sacat=0

Steering and suspension parts are hit and miss, all depends on what you need.

Pretty much between the forum, vendors and ebay there's nothing that can't be found somehow.

More pics would be great, and if you could provide pics of the ID and engine numbers so I can add it to the Registry that would be most awesome. 8-)

EXCELLENT. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE KIND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT. I WILL UPLOAD SOME BETTER PICS INCLUDING THE ID PLATE LATER TODAY.
poinrobe Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:53 am

Congratulations, I have an almost rust free hard top if you can get to San Antonio to pick it up before the weather gets it. It appears a heavy box was placed on the roof at some point. I think it will pop back out. See my pictures on 66 Rebuild Forthcoming. L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby poinrobe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:09 pm

L60Boerne wrote:Congratulations, I have an almost rust free hard top if you can get to San Antonio to pick it up before the weather gets it. It appears a heavy box was placed on the roof at some point. I think it will pop back out. See my pictures on 66 Rebuild Forthcoming. L60Boerne

thanks for the heads up. i will check out the pics on your rebuild thread and get back to you if I have q's

Mark
poinrobe Offline

Postby poinrobe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Here are a few more pictures. I included one of the starter. It appears to be aftermarket. From my brief perusal of this forum, i thought that there were no aftermarket starter options. Does anyone know if this is correct. Given that this starter is frequently not engaging and thus making a grinding sound, do you think it is worth having it rebuilt?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
poinrobe Offline

Postby PetrolPatrol » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:25 pm

poinrobe wrote:Here are a few more pictures. I included one of the starter. It appears to be aftermarket. From my brief perusal of this forum, i thought that there were no aftermarket starter options. Does anyone know if this is correct.

A user here has this starter on his Patrol and he's pretty happy with it.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00AWMRLGM/ ... _lig_dp_it
PetrolPatrol Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:56 pm

That is a P40 Forklift starter. I can only saw I bought these of those forklift starters and didn't like any of them. I either gave them away or lost them. I'm having Eddy rebuilding OEMs as needed.
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Postby poinrobe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:24 pm

L60Boerne wrote:That is a P40 Forklift starter. I can only saw I bought these of those forklift starters and didn't like any of them. I either gave them away or lost them. I'm having Eddy rebuilding OEMs as needed.
L60Boerne

Thanks again for all your help. The original starter was in the back seat of the truck when I bought it. Unfortunately, someone took the back off of it thus im not sure all the parts are there to reassemble and have it rebuilt... Just 1 of an ever growing To-Do List for this vehicle. :) Fortunately, I am the type of person who enjoys a challenge and I dont mind if the project takes me 5 years to complete...
poinrobe Offline

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!