Thanks for letting me join.

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby RobCar47 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:47 am

Hi everyone, my name is Rob and live in the St Louis, MO area. I appreciate this forum and letting me join. I have read so many forums and threads on so many different topics but never joined any. This is my first so be gentle on me.

There does not seem to be much information out there on the Nissan Patrol series 60s. You guys have the best info that I've seen. That being said, I have just purchased my first Patrol, but know very little about them. The one I purchased seems to be an odd duck. It seems to have features that are factory, but I cannot find any information on them.

I purchased a 1965 Series 60 SWB soft top. My VIN is L60-2-00680. This VIN is confirmed on the title and chassis. When I checked your VIN registry, River Patrol had a 1962 with VIN L60-2-00681. Is the year on my title wrong of do VIN sequences jump around from year to year. Unfortunately my VIN plate seems to be missing from the firewall, so there is no way for me to tell. It has a drivers side spare tire carrier and a drop down tailgate instead of the barn doors. I believe those two are factory options, but cannot find any info on them. I also have a very unusual passenger door. The door has no window crank, instead it has a window that you manually slide up and down. The original window is missing and has plexiglass secured in place. I have searched and could not find any info or pic anywhere on any of these items. I also have a round heater that looks factory, but all the heaters I see on the internet are square. That seems like a lot of weird options on one vehicle. My Speedo seems to be Kilometers, so maybe it's from Canada or South America. The title is from Maryland 1981.

I will include some pics soon.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RobCar47 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:01 am

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: Congratulations on your 'new' Patrol. Don't worry, we're always gently with newbies. :D

It does sound like your Patrol is actually a '62 based on the VIN. The VIN numbers were pretty reliably sequential. It's not uncommon to find them titled with a later year. Sometimes they titled them with the year it was sold instead of the model year.

As for the spare carrier and tailgate, yes, a very rare factory option. It sounds like you might have bought the green one that was recently listed for sale. The passenger door with the sliding window is another very rare feature that none of us have much info on.

The speedo being in KM may or may not mean it came from Canada. If it's the original speedo that's likely, but it may be a replacement and often those are in KM. Pictures would help.

Again, welcome! And - we love pictures!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RobCar47 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:14 am

Thanks River Patrol I’ll try not to make too many mistakes. Yep it is the green one that was for sale in Illinois. I definitely want to put the work into making it run and look good. I’m glad to know about the true year being a 1962. I’ll see if the state will title it correctly.
The speedo may be the original but no way of really telling. The title has the mileage at 13k back in 1981 and it’s now showing 17k. Also great to know the options are kind of rare.
I have to get a top for it. I have not found anyone who makes them that’s current. All the info I find is older and those places don’t exist anymore. Any suggestions?
Thanks again for having this forum, I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions as I start to work on it.
RobCar47 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RobCar47 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:39 am

Here are the pics of the different options. Except for the speedo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobCar47 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RobCar47 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:14 am

After further inspection of the speedo, I was incorrect. The speedo is in MPH.
RobCar47 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:55 am

Cool! Good that the green one found a home, it seems to have some good potential.

The heater was aftermarket but everything else were rare options. I think the very early Patrol didn't have a heater option so there were a handful of aftermarket options.

I don't know how the DMV works in your state but in CA I would just leave the title as is. It's possible that it was originally titled that way because it was sold that year. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to imagine the Patrol sat on the dealer's lot for a few years before someone bought it. Datsun was struggling to make a name at the time and certainly took a long time to gain popularity in the Midwest.

On the top, you might need to have something custom made.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:14 pm

Welcome to 60Patrol!!!

Congratulations on your purchase. You have indeed a one of a kind.

The plexiglass is original to the door as well as how the window is raised. I have an original spare of the same door.

The speedo in the picture is in miles. Is there a different one in the panel?
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RobCar47 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:41 pm

Thanks again guys for all the info. That makes sense River Patrol that the heater is after market, since a lot of the earlier models didn't have them. I agree River Patrol, I'm just going to title it the way it is. Much easier that way. I do have an upholstery shop I've worked with before, so I guess I'll be giving them a call.

Thanks Esteban, much appreciated. I am so excited that you know about the passengers side door window. I could not find any info out there on it. I'm also very excited that you have one. Could you please post a pic. I would like to see how it supposed to look like. I think it's suppose to have a small handle on the top of the plexiglass, I'm sure that's why the door has that notch at the bottom of the window opening. The door also has a type of catch on the top center just above the notch at the bottom. I'd like to have it as close to factory as possible.

I've also been looking around the forum educating myself. Again really appreciate all the info and knowledge you guys have here. It's a fantastic recourse.

Are there any national meets for the Patrols in the US?
RobCar47 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:47 am

RobCar47 wrote:Are there any national meets for the Patrols in the US?

L60Boerne keeps trying to get on together in CO. One day it might happen.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:51 pm

RobCar47 wrote:
Could you please post a pic. I would like to see how it supposed to look like. I think it's suppose to have a small handle on the top of the plexiglass, I'm sure that's why the door has that notch at the bottom of the window opening. The door also has a type of catch on the top center just above the notch at the bottom. I'd like to have it as close to factory as possible.

I will take some pictures showing the details in a couple of days since I’m away from home at the moment.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!