What have you done to your 60 Series Patrol this week....

If it doesn't fit in the others but is 60 series related, post it up.

Postby Avpatrol » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:10 pm

So what have i done this week yo my patrol?hhmm.
Well, i took apart the thermostat housing,water pump and radiator to give them an overnight shower of good old vinegar to get rid of all the accumulated rust from all these years od sitting(btw,vinegar does miracles to these parts,i even filled the radiator with tw0 gallons of vinegar and it worked magic),drained all the oil off the engine,took off the valve cover to see all the gunk and get it ready for a flush.although it doesn't look to bad considering how old this poor thing is,i sanded off the old oaint and rust from the oil filter cannister and gave it a fresh coat of paint.i also received a few parts that i ordered online such as the power break booster,thermostat and all four shocks from gabriel shocks.
I masked the booster to paint the cylinder before installing it. And i think thats all for this week.
My plans for this weekend is to remove all the suspension components to clean them up and change all the bushings, also will bring the gas tank off and wash all the nastiness inside off.
Man is so fun working on these beauties.
Sugestions and advice is welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avpatrol Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Esteban » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Great progress. Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your water pump looks in very good condition, and the paint job done is looking great.

Did you test how good will that paint withstand the brake fluid? I was looking the other day and Eastwood only has a gray color. I would like to paint the same as yours.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Avpatrol » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks.and as far as the paint,i used ceramic heat resistant paint but i did not check if it resist break fluid.
I will have to research it.thanks for noticing that :shock:
Avpatrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Esteban beat me to it - I was thinking the water pump looked to be in good shape as well. The thermostat housing also looks good, sometimes they are rotted out.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Avpatrol » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:06 am

Same thing in my mind when i took it apart,
The water pump seems to be in good shape,there no play in the shaft .i was thinking on trying to have it rebuild but it really feels solid.
Question, is that hole at the bottom of the water pump back plate a drip hole or is just a rotted out hole that i have to seal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avpatrol Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:27 am

Avpatrol wrote:Question, is that hole at the bottom of the water pump back plate a drip hole or is just a rotted out hole that i have to seal?

That hole is correct. Never quite understood its function. Probably aids in draining all the water from the system when opening the petcocks.

Fill the system with a 50/50 mix of Prestone and distilled water, or buy the pre-mixed formulation.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:39 pm

Today we replaced the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder. We purchased the set off of ebay from OEM_Alternatives. There were a couple of modifications that we had to do in order for this to work.

We started with the slave cylinder. the hypothesis was that it was leaking and therefore was the culprit.

The Slave cylinders (new on the bottom, old on the top)

The threads were a little bit different, so i had to use a different line. In the end, I ended up going with BrakeBest BH845517, which matched up well. now i'll have to replace that before I tackle the brake job. After getting the slave cylinder installed, the brake pedal was still hitting the floorboard, so we decided to replace the master cylinder as well. Old on top, new on bottom. As soon as we removed this, we knew the master cylinder seal was the culprit. The pushrod had no resistance and came right out.

We had to instal this a few times. We couldn't get the new adjustable pushrod to adjust down far enough. On the third try, were replaced it with the original after cleaning it up a bit. We also used the original fluid cylinder as it was a little taller and held a little more fluid. It worked like a charm and got the Minion Missile back on the road. Special thanks to Minion #3 (Ann)

Here she is installing the slave

Here she is putting the finishing touches on the master
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Avpatrol » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:19 am

Nice,you have your lil one helping out.
Im the same way with my lil one.
Avpatrol Offline

Postby mad4hws » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:49 am

Ya. That's most the point with this rig, a project that everyone can jump in on and participate. Its actually pretty great. The Patrol is easy enough to work on so that it works out really well. We do a little at a time so that it's not too overwhelming. The minute it starts to feel like 'work' we stop.
mad4hws Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:00 am

mad4hws wrote:Ya. That's most the point with this rig, a project that everyone can jump in on and participate. Its actually pretty great. The Patrol is easy enough to work on so that it works out really well. We do a little at a time so that it's not too overwhelming. The minute it starts to feel like 'work' we stop.

That is one of the great things about Patrols - that they are so easy to work on. It allows a novice mechanic type to get in and fix things and feel confident about it. It's always fun to see someone make a family project out of it.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics