Our 1958 4W65

Rust or bling, we want to see it!

Postby Rayoh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:51 am

Having just joined this forum I thought I had better put up a pic of our 1958 4W65 Patrol. It is one of six that was imported for the army to trial but the idea was dropped due to public opinion and they were sold off. We picked this one up about 15 years ago and restored it over about 6 months. For those that do not know it has a 4 litre 6cyl sidevalve engine, 4 speed box with a creeper first gear instead of low range. I will put up more pics shortly.
[imgImage][/img]
Rayoh Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 am

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomewave:

That is an amazing Patrol. Please share many more pictures of it. I always wondered if there were any of those in Australia. That's even extra cool that you know the history of them coming in. Thanks for sharing.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby bosque » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:33 am

This is very special indeed.
Please post more info and shots when you have time and thanks for sharing with us.
Welcome welcome welcome! :clap: :clap: :clap:
bosque Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby Coyote Patrol » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 am

I like it, thanks for sharing the pic. Can't wait to see more. I would like to se a pic of the engine.
Coyote Patrol Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 am

Welcome, Rayoh. :clap: :clap: :clap:

So glad to see one of the rare examples of this vehicle. You're a lucky guy. Congratulations.

2869ral wrote:I like it, thanks for sharing the pic. Can't wait to see more. I would like to se a pic of the engine.

I second that. Would love to see the pictures, and then try to find pictures of the Graham-Paige engine to compare side by side. It will be awesome.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Rayoh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:52 am

Sorry for the delay in posting more pics but I lost the cable that connects the camera to computer, anyway I found it so here are some pics of the engine bay and one of the interior. If anyone wants more then yell out. Some will notice that it is fitted at the moment with a Stromberg carby, this because the original one is worn out and I haven't been able to locate a replacement. The original one is the same as that on the very early G60. It has now gone from 10mpg to around 18mpg, much better.
Rayoh Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:07 am

Thank you for finding the cable for your camera! :D These are great pictures. This is the first I have seen of the early engine. I am surprised that it bears very little resemblance to the P engine in our 60s. Can we get some more interior shots please? :dance: :clap:

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks a lot Rayoh. :clap: :clap: :clap: Great pictures, and they are the first for me as well.

Agree with RiverPatrol. It's difficult to imagine that the P engine is based on that one. Obviously the L head is deceiving. Would love to see some parts diagrams or service manual ones. Hope you have some.

I do have some personal interest in this model. Around 1965, a great uncle got a farm at an auction. Among the farming equipment, a Patrol similar to yours (not sure about the year) was in a shack. The head was removed from the engine. We were playing there as kids. The next year it was gone! He had giving it away. To this day the remote possibility of owning that vehicle floats in my mind. I didn't new better, nor my older brother, or my dad. Two years later, he bought the 65 Patrol that I still own and drive.

Connecting dots... :think:
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby bosque » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 am

Ray,
You are so lucky. :clap:
Great shots! I really like the steering wheel "propeller" styling. And, that classic cover is ... :think: ....well, classic!

River, ...see! The 4W65 has the battery in the engine bay too. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :whistle:

Esteban, Have your brother look for one (fun to think of finding the "shack Patrol"!) asap...... :think:
bosque Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:42 am

bosque wrote: River, ...see! The 4W65 has the battery in the engine bay too. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :whistle:

And just like the engine, the location of the battery was redesigned also. ;) *snap*

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Show us Your Patrol!