Our 1958 4W65

Rust or bling, we want to see it!

Postby Rayoh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 am

Sorry for the lack of a response but we have been away for a few days. Just to fill in a few gaps about our Nissan. When we started restoring it we found bucket loads of rust. I had to make a complete left hand side floor including the original battery box which was under the L/H seat. As the battery had been moved under the bonnet we decided to leave it there for easy access and the box under the seat is now a tool box. Both sills had to be replaced as well as the rear panel under the tailgate. While on the subject of the tailgates, they were well and truly shot, rusted and battered beyond salvaging, plus they had been welded together So I simply made a frame out of square steel tube and covered it with sheet metal and bolted it into place. The hood and door frames as well as some remnants of the canvas came with it and made it easier to get the canvas work done. Mechanically I had to get one rear axle made as well as a new selector shaft for the transfer case as the original was broken. The rear axles aren't the correct ones and had been changed at some stage of its life. The engine hasn't been touched apart from servicing as I don't know what parts I can get. It does have some piston slap, low oil pressure at idle and a bit of valve noise but while it is going strong I will leave it alone. The Graham Paige connection I was told about a few years ago. Evidently after WW2 as part of the rebuilding of Japanese industry Graham Paige supplied Nissan with engine tooling and what was produced was a fairly close copy. The original seats were shot as well and the drivers seat was a sod to get into so having a bad back I decided to use Landcruiser bucket seats for comfort!! and ease of access. Here is a pic of the front of the Nissan as well as a pic of when we first got it. Sorry for the quality of the second pic but it's the only one I have.
Rayoh Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:34 am

Wow, you did some amazing work on this considering the condition it was in. Not many people would have had the determination to get it done. :clap: Congratulations!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 am

I agree with RiverPatrol. Congratulations. You've done a fantastic job in preserving this treasure. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Rayoh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:26 am

As far as working on it went, about the time I started on it I was retrenched from my job so after a minor operation I spent around 3 months 7 days a week pulling it apart and working on it. We stripped it down to bare chassis rails and started from there. the body was fairly easy to handle as it splits at the base of the A pillar which made for 2 manageable pieces. The only problems I have at the moment are a couple of sticky wheel cylinders (due to lack of use) and I will have to remove and rebuild the steering box, something I am not looking forward to as I think some parts may have to be made so it could turn out a bit pricey. Aah, the joys of motoring. I will chase up some pics of the rebuild and scan them if anyone is interested.
Rayoh Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby bosque » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 am

Yeah.....I'm interested! :dance:
bosque Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Pfffft...of course we're interested. :D

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Coyote Patrol » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:39 pm

x3
Coyote Patrol Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby mdawg4x4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:55 pm

X4
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Postby Rayoh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:29 am

I'm back again. I finally got time to scan some old photos of the restoration so here are some of them. The first one was taken when we first saw it on a mates property. The rest are pretty much self explanatory.
The battery box and L/H floor that had to be replaced.
I can put up more if anyone wants to see them.
Rayoh Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am

That was definitely a labor of love. What is the white on the front fenders? Or is it gray primer and just looks white.

We're addicts, so if you have more pictures to put up we would love to drool over them. This is some great stuff! :clap: :dance: I wasn't even aware that any of these had ever landed in Australia.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Show us Your Patrol!