69 rat house

Rust or bling, we want to see it!

Postby nizmut » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:37 pm

All righty then, back tried to go south on me again. So I jumped on the aleve, Ice packs, and hot baths. Plus made the laborers do their job and sat in the tractor like I'm paid to, two weeks and no missed work.
Back to playing with my toys and yard work. Got the drive shaft and center brake back in and adjusted up the center brake. Talked to the neighbor and found out he is spending $400 for 4 jag wheel cylinders, figure the 4wd products are not as bad as I thought. So ordering parts, and crying about shipping tonight.
20161211_150401 (Medium).jpg

But this turned out all right
20161211_150301 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robin
nizmut Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:46 am

I remember the days when we used to cry about having to pay $150 per cylinder. Then when 4wd showed up it was a Godsend. :lol:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby nizmut » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:56 pm

Wheel cylinders all showed up, figured I would rebuild from the wheel seal out for now.
So I started at the right front hub as it was very stiff. Tore it completely apart, cleaned it up and started to look for parts. Yeah, Warn laughed at me. So I got out the calipers and started hunting for parts. Replaced the outer v-seal with a o-ring, replaced the inner o-ring, removed all the old grease and needle bearings. Cleaned up the bearings, the rest of the hub, repacked and reinstalled the needle bearings and re assembled the hub. Turns like a dream now.
Then since I was climbing around under the truck I decided to pull the speedo drive seal and get rid of my last leak. Pulled the cable housing nut off, housing is still dripping :lol: 5 hours later. Pulled the speedo shaft support, and speedo gear. Pulled the seal with a seal pick knowing I was going to stab my self, yeap, sure enough. Pick slipped off and right in the finger tip. Finished getting the seal out, then washed my hands and started sucking on my finger to get the puncher bleeding. (couldn't bring my self to putting gear oil in my mouth). Looked and called around to no avail, no seal locally, ordered on line.
Pulled the lock nut, lock ring, hub nut and removed the hub and wheel bearings. Popped out the seal. You betchya,I have the wrong ones :lol: Jumped on line and ordered up a pair from socal. So then I just cleaned up the bearings and put it to bed, tomorrow is another day.
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby nizmut » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Well the wheel seals guy refunded my money, no seals. Looks like I can get some that are close from MD, or if I buy 4 from local. So I pulled my bent backing plate and hammered and dollied it back into shape.
20170101_113700 (Medium).jpg

20170101_125301 (Medium).jpg

After that I fixed the spot welds that were broke, yeah didn't purge the welder long enough on the first one.
20170102_134429 (Medium).jpg

After that I pulled the traca joint apart :o what a mess. Looks like a whole tub of dirty grease in there. The manual says to coat the parts with grease. So need some help here, liberal coating, or whole tub?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby nizmut » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:39 pm

How come every time I try to fix something, I end up taking more apart.
Have the right side stripped to the front end housing. Decided to clean up the tracta joint, and after pulling the tie rod noticed notchy pivoting on the king pins. Lower race is done. Is there any where to get the big seal for the housing pivot? Seems most of the grease around the tracta joint was pumped in the axle housing bushing.
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby nizmut » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:16 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swivel-Hub-King ... 3ababe2512

Yeah baby! Guess I'll tear the other side apart while I am waiting on this.
OH and Robert, How did you clean yours out with only 10 shop towels?
20170209_183019 (Medium).jpg
20170209_182846 (Medium).jpg
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 am

Please keep posting pictures of the progress.

Keep the parts from one side totally separated from the other, especially the Tracta joint components.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby moore_rb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm

nizmut wrote:OH and Robert, How did you clean yours out with only 10 shop towels?

HAHA- I didn't..... I used ten ROLLS of shop towels... 8-)
"Saving the world- One Patrol at a time..."

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby nizmut » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:37 pm

moore_rb wrote:
nizmut wrote:OH and Robert, How did you clean yours out with only 10 shop towels?

HAHA- I didn't..... I used ten ROLLS of shop towels... 8-)

Yeah, that sounds a little more believable. :lol:
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby mad4hws » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:52 am

I'm following this part closely. will need to do this to the minion soon.
mad4hws Offline

Postby nizmut » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:46 am

So the storm passed through early and the driveway dried out so I did a little work. The goal was to have the front dif in the shop by dark because another storm is supposed to hit in the morning.
So first I had to clean up a space to move all the parts from the right side to on the bench. Then clear a section in the middle of the shop for the dif. Then Haul all the tools out to the Patrol once the concrete mostly dried up.
After getting ready, and double standing the right side because it was all ready taken back to the axle housing(yes I have had jackstands fail before, and a friends brother was killed by jackstands failing), I disconnected the right shock, sway bar, sway bar end link, both stearing stabilizers, and droop stop. Then with the left tire still on I rolled under the patrol and did the same on the left side plus the main brake line and tie rod from the pitman arm. Then I removed the left tire and ball joint so I could haul the tie rods into the shop. I had removed the front drive shaft a Sunday afternoon so that was all ready out. Then with both sides on double stands I removed the u-bolts and straight bolts holding the axle housing to the springs. At this point I put stands under the axle and pulled the front shackles.
20170216_175338 (Medium).jpg

Got all the tools picked up and the axle slid out right at dusk. That thing is a heavy pig to get out of there by your self. But in the shop before dark :)
20170216_183319 (Medium).jpg
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby nizmut » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 am

Quick locking hub rebuild. I didn't document the disassembly, but will point out the one catch.
Here are all the parts cleaned up
20170220_183922 (Medium).jpg

And here are the o-rings I used for the rebuild
20170220_184536 (Medium).jpg

The middle sized one is a v seal on the hubs, but I replaced it with a o-ring because sourcing became a pain.

The small and middle sized o-rings go on the brass dial adding a little lube as you go.
20170220_185006 (Medium).jpg

Then you flip the dial over and push it in the outer housing.
Then you flip the housing over and set the thin plate over the end of the brass dial, lining up the holes.
20170220_185234 (Medium).jpg

20170220_185351 (Medium).jpg

Now the threaded cup with the pin at the top left gets a little lube on it and threads into the gear at the bottom left. Then orient the the pin on the center piece and the dowel hole on the ring gear so the threads are flush on the inside with the dial in the locked position.
20170220_190250 (Medium).jpg

Now slide the ring gear over the dowel in the outer housing while sliding the dowel on the inner cup into the dial. Tighten down the allen screw in the center and check that the dial turns to both locks.
Now here is the little catch. Before you could disassemble the hub you had to burr out a swedge on the allen screw, now you get to make a new one :)
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby nizmut » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 am

The center part of the hub is simple.
Pull the snap ring, slide out the center, don't lose any rollers, they are free like a u-joint.
After cleanup, pack the bearing race with grease and stack in the rollers. It is easier to load the bearings from this side.
20170220_191421 (Medium).jpg

Then flip it over and drop the gear in and install the snap ring.
20170220_192639 (Medium).jpg

Another thing I did was chamfer the bolt holes in the outer cap as the lock washers had deformed the aluminum against the bolts.
The large o-ring goes in the groove of the center section that slips into the factory hub.
Robin
nizmut Offline

Postby mad4hws » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 am

Very helpful picks. Thanks for sharing.
mad4hws Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Excellent How-to with pics! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Show us Your Patrol!