1970 LG60 MWB soft top

Rust or bling, we want to see it!

Postby Kdiv_n_tx » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:50 am

All-

Just got some pics from my shop as we prepare to get started on my wishlist. Oso is a 1970 LG60 MWB with engine/tranny swap (currently has a SBC 350 mated to a TH350 transmission per seller) and what appears to me to be an aftermarket soft top frame. Inside, there is mix of original and new gauges, new steering wheel but otherwise in decent shape. Brand new Patrolee here so I still have stars in my eyes (hell, bought the first one I ever saw . . . and yes, I thought it was a Land Rover at first) but welcome critique and direction.

Oso front quartering.jpg

Oso front passenger quartering.jpg

Oso back - quartering.jpg

Oso dash.jpg

Oso driver.jpg

Will post progress pics once we start making some.

Kirk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kdiv_n_tx Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: That looks like a fine little toy there. I will be interested in knowing how it performs with the powertrain mods, and whether the 4wd works. Either way, it looks like it will be fun to use. And it's got both side steps! :o

The soft top frame does appear to be custom. They did a decent job though.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 am

Welcome to 60Patrol !!

Please post some pictures of the engine/transmission combo.

Also the axles. Curious to see what they've done.

What will your plans be?
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mdawg4x4 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:07 pm

Welcome to 60Patrol.
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Kdiv_n_tx » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Esteban wrote:Welcome to 60Patrol !!

Please post some pictures of the engine/transmission combo.

Also the axles. Curious to see what they've done.

What will your plans be?

Just got it home for the first time to really spend some quality time with it. I will take additional pics and get under the hood and under the Patrol so we can see how big a mistake I have made :lol: . Pics will be up sometime this weekend.

Plans are to fix rust issues (passenger floorpan), brakes are weak at best, electrical workover and suspension sag. After that, it will be paint (thinking something like Land Rover's Marine Blue), tall skinny tires, better wheels, LED lighting all the way around and recover all the seats and new airline-style seatbelts.
Kdiv_n_tx Offline

Postby Kdiv_n_tx » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi all,

Having spent the weekend with Oso for the first time, I am very happy with the purchase but have more questions than answers at this point. Decided that this was originally a hard top and someone changed that along the way (clues are the home built soft top frame and a wire that likely powered the dome light poking out of windshield in the upper right hand corner above passenger). The "like new" soft top that came with it is full of rips and is several inches short in multiple dimensions -- we will be stitching up a new one at some point or need a source.

RP - the engine is great, starts right up and has way more power than this vehicle needs right now. 4x4 does indeed work - in fact, I am at a loss on how to get it out of it! Where the original Patrol had two levers, only one sits now. My bride and I tried multiple times to shift it out of the current state but Oso complained LOUDLY so we backed off. PO added an electric fan on the front of the radiator that seems to run opposite the switch on the dash - regardless, she is running hot so we will need to investigate that.

Esteban - I took the following shots at your request - given Oso is from SA, not sure what axles are here or if they are even original. I do know the brakes need a LOT of work as do the springs and other suspension components. Alcan seems to be the best domestic source -- need advice here.

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Lastly, my loyal sidekick enjoying the view and attention, even if not entirely for him.

IMG_0678.JPG

So, given all this evidence, any thoughts?

Kirk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kdiv_n_tx Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:16 pm

It looks like the major stuff works then, it just needs some fine tuning. Do t know what to tell you about getting out of 4wd, I'm not familiar with that setup.

Brakes might just need proper adjusting and bleeding. It appears that at least the rear wheel cylinders are relatively new. Maybe they just didn't finish the job properly.

You're right about it being a hard top originally.

I had to laugh when I saw the dual exhaust. :lol:

Your sidekick has me longing for a golden. I've been having Golden Retreiver-itis lately anyway. :|
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny Roadkill » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Kdiv_n_tex,

unless I've been thrown by the usd piccy, that isn't a stock transfer case - might explain the lever removal ? Has a drum transbrake instead of the 60 Patrol's inside-out version...

Any idea what it is from ?

cheers, and thanks for the pics !
D
'71 P510 Wagon - the smile generator.
'74 G60H - strawberry farm patrol.
'78 G60H Ute Cab - the cherry on top.
'80 G61H - the start of things to come.
'92 Pulsar Ti - my SR20 powered daily driver.
'01 Kessner 7x4 - the pack horse.
'07 Challenge Camper - home away from home.
'09 Prado - the family fourby and her daily driver.
'14 200EXC - a chainsaw with wheels.
Johnny Roadkill Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Kdiv_n_tx » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Johnny-

Many mysteries to be solved - dealer/agent said it was the original transfer case but I think anything is up for interpretation at this point. Esteban asked for pics underneath and truthfully I have lived a sheltered life and really don't know transaxle from bushing from, well, anything outside the driver's seat. Part of the appeal here that I will teach myself and my boys a bit about cars.

Kirk
Kdiv_n_tx Offline

Postby Kdiv_n_tx » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:It looks like the major stuff works then, it just needs some fine tuning. Do t know what to tell you about getting out of 4wd, I'm not familiar with that setup.

Brakes might just need proper adjusting and bleeding. It appears that at least the rear wheel cylinders are relatively new. Maybe they just didn't finish the job properly.

You're right about it being a hard top originally.

I had to laugh when I saw the dual exhaust. :lol:

Your sidekick has me longing for a golden. I've been having Golden Retreiver-itis lately anyway. :|

The exhaust note is awesome - certainly turns heads everywhere. Drove it Friday night to the neighborhood watering hole and when I returned had a card on the seat of someone who wanted to buy it. I guess I should get used to it.

Too much fun.
Kdiv_n_tx Offline

Next

Return to Show us Your Patrol!