RED DOG 79 ute build

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RED DOG » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi all, have been working on my ute with my cousin lately, its a bit of a team effort and partnership really.
The car was purchased from an older gentle man earlier this year who had grand plans with changing the whole driveline and painting it a weird metallic green colour :doh: luckily for me it was left to rest in the paddock for the last few years untouched!
Trying to get the car road registered by February 2020, still a bit to go but ticking things off the to do list quite quickly this Christmas break.
Have managed to so far clean up and rebuild a stromberg carburetor and oil bath air cleaner 6808 rebuilt the dizzy and alternator 6806 radiator has been professionally cleaned, rear wheel bearings replaced and wheel cylinders been rebuilt- luckily for me someone has already gone to the trouble of stainless sleeving them! :dance: 6728 6771 new shock absorbers installed, i didn't have any original seats for it so chose to install some 79 series landcruiser seats that i had laying around 6805 Also got the clutch hydraulic lines remade and all installed and air bled out of the system.
hopefully i attached the pictures correctly, stay tuned as theres more to come yet! cheers
RED DOG Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RED DOG » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:55 am

RED DOG Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:21 pm

It looks like it's coming along nicely, good work!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Congratulations! Everything is looking great.

Would have been great to see a picture of the sleeved cylinders.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RED DOG » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks, Esteban unfortunately this is the only pic i took of the sleeved cylinders.
RED DOG Offline

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:49 pm

Great picture! Thanks.

The job done with the sleeving looks tops.
Esteban Offline

Postby Peter60 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 am

In Oz it is common for master cylinders and slave cylinders to be lined with stainless steel tubes, especially for older types vehicles.

I'm not sure about the actual brake cylinders, but obviously it can be done.

I have always opted to buy new ones. It seems easier and faster but maybe they don't last as long.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RED DOG » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:39 am

Hi peter60.
From what I have learnt the biggest cause to failure with the wheel cylinders is moisture, the brake fluid is hydroscopic and there for the alloy housing starts to corrode, which in turn with use the rubber cup/seal gets scratched/scored - damaged by the corrosion/pitting in the bore.
I got a quote a while back from a brake shop, i wanted to stainless sleeve my 40 series landcruiser wheel cylinders, $80 each they told me, and there's 8 of them! Was cheaper and easier to just go and buy new ones like you said.... fingers crossed the front wheel cylinders are sleeved aswel! Might tackle them in the next couple of days.
RED DOG Offline

Postby G60michael » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:52 am

Great Post Cobba Love it mate, fingers Crossed she'll be ready in time for the Trip.

I've Been Pretty Busy myself as Dave and the other guys know, Dave has done pretty much similar work to me prepping the old G60s up for Rego ready to take away later next year.

Keep the Pics coming Dave, we love seeing regular posts, also helps keep the Motivation there to keep pushing on, it also gives us justice that there is also other dedicated members out there trying to bring them back to life, as unfortunately we all can agree a lot of people under take "Such" Projects and then Sit on there hands and kickback waiting for the car to fix its self, great work make keep it going, carnt wait to see her next year, was a bloody tidy old unit a few months ago when we caught up.
G60michael Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RED DOG » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:03 am

The past week or so has been very busy! Now all wheel bearings have been changed, and all the brakes have been replaced or rebuilt, but as always not without drama! Upon removing the front hub i noticed a piece of steel shim stuck in the grease between the 2 wheel bearings! Closer inspection revealed that both bearings had an issue some time in the past and the larger inner bearing had to be cut off with an angle grinder, you can see the marks on the stub axle.
I tried the fit of the new bearing on the stub and it was worn badly and flopping around, so obviously someone has tried to use the shim and pack out the worn part to bearing ID, so then off on a half hour drive to where i have access to a parts car and got another stub.
Next day and back at it, at this stage i really wished i picked up the hub from the parts car aswel, because the original hub had been damaged and been machined inside with a spacer inserted, a good job had been done on repairing the hub but for me its just 1 of those things that will be on the back of my mind when driving out in the middle of no where, then finally putting the free wheeling hub back on 1 of the studs stripped the thread! :( great! More to fix
Unfortunately unlike the rear brake wheel cylinders, the fronts were not stainless steel sleeved, infact they were rusted solid! So new cylinders fitted
Its always good when working away most of the day and someone stops in for a chat (especially when they drive their g60!) and to see what progress has been made, a beer and some encouragement is sometimes needed.
So now that all the brakes had been adjusted and wheel bearings done i thought what better time than to tackle the bullbar, the upright parts on the ends seemed to be blocking the indicators and just looked too bulky, i wanted to fit a winch so the bar had to also move forward and new mounting points fabricated. This is the end result, i think it turned out pretty well, just need to fit the rollers for the cable, fit the uhf aerial and spot lights.
Hopefully soon there will be more progress pics and less drama haha cheers, Dave
RED DOG Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Great progress! Typical project, one thing after another.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RED DOG » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:11 am

Well more progress! Finally fitted a good sized fuel tank, i used a gq patrol tank because it fits between the chassis rails nicely and its around the 95 litre mark so im told, so i should be able to drive quite some good distances without topping up.
Had to make some custom brackets to hold it but thats just part of the fun!
Because i got the original radiator rebuilt I thought it would be a good idea to do a coolant flush before I install it so as it doesn't potentially become blocked again with all the sludge from inside the block, i had another old radiator on hand so temporarily fitted it and ran the motor as instructed on the bottle of flush, good thing I did this process because the colour of the water that came out of the block was like mud!! Down side is the water pump was still full of crud so i opted to pull it off for a freshen up.
Also removed the heater to fix a broken vent and I kind of got carried away haha
Well as they say, rain, hail or shine the show must go on! Well it certainly did today! We were in for 100mm of rain (4 inches) over the weekend and it certainly felt like we got it all in 1 day! Yes i know I am a bit crazy but I need to get this car finished, here is some pictures from today! Could almost say "as happy as a pig in mud" haha
Hopefully by next weekend there is more to report back!
RED DOG Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Great progress and good pictures. Many of us will relate to your words "and I kind of got carried away haha"

There's always something going on withing the project that will divert our core attention. But it is part of the charm!
Esteban Offline

Postby RED DOG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Well its been a little while since my last post but there still has been some progress, some of the rust repairs that I have been doing.
Just recently finished rebuilding the gearbox and transfer case, someone had attempted to rebuild it before me and failed :snooty:
Look at where the trust washer is for the transfer idler gear, they completely missed it when installing the shaft and so the gear had alot of endfloat, it also ground away part of the case from spinning around in the wrong spot.
The gear was not in good shape either, with a broken tooth! I had a spare transfer in storage and it was in like new condition so I used it to save me some work.
The input shaft wasn't in great shape with alot of pitting in the case hardening where the needle rollers run inside it, I made a sleeve and got it case hardened, then made a jig to hold it and use a cylindrical grinder to grind the outside of it true, i bored out the hole in the shaft on the lathe and ground it finished to accept the sleeve, a nice interference fit with some high strength loctite did the trick to seat the sleeve home,
Then drilled out the 3 oil holes before putting the shaft back onto the grinder to finish the inside diameter, I'm very happy with how it turned out and time will tell if it lasts, here's the finished product.
Earlier this week i also managed to finish the exhaust, it sounds pretty nice with a 2.5 inch pipe haha
Well thats all for now folks, progress will be a tad slower now as this corona virus has stuffed up alot of peoples plans and all of the local camping areas and tracks are closed, so no need for me to keep pushing myself to get the car finished in time for a trip we had planned, stay safe everyone and keep on Patroling! :animals-dogrun:
RED DOG Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Congratulations! Beautiful work with the input shaft. Textbook!

Did you do the lathe work yourself?
Esteban Offline

Next

Return to Projects