Rehab of Patrol L60-2-00655

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby r1lark » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:23 pm

Thanks Esteban! You got me curious, so I googled "KYB GR-2" and found this on the KYB site:
What is the difference between the KYB GR-2 and the Excel-G products? We apologize that this is a bit confusing. Both products are identical, except for the product name and paint color. KYB sells products throughout the world. Some part numbers fit vehicles from various countries that share the same chassis platform but, have different nameplates. At one time there were several KYB brand names, but we are now moving toward one name and color. So in the future all new part numbers will be branded as Excel-G and have black paint.

The GR-2/Excel-G shocks are attractive as far as price at RockAuto, but like you I think the Gas-A-just shocks may be better suited for the Patrol.
Paul
r1lark Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby r1lark » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:08 pm

Got the rubber bushings for the shock links machined down.......who said you can't cut rubber pieces on a lathe? :D
DSC09318 resized.jpg

Old links and new links:
DSC09319 resized.jpg

Plus, the new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks came today. Ended up getting them from Amazon, free shipping, one day delivery, and just slightly more than RockAuto:
DSC09320 resized.jpg

DSC09322 resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby r1lark » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:10 pm

Went to my Mom's today, and got a little bit done on the Patrol.

Installed the sway bar links and tightened down the sway bar bushings:
DSC09348 resized.jpg

The bracket attached to the frame rail to the left of the sway bar link is part of the Western snow plow setup, it will come off soon and be stored away with the rest of the plow parts.

DSC09352 resized.jpg

I've had a pretty good sized leak under the Patrol every time the engine has been run. I had hoped for quite a while that it wasn't the rear main seal. Decided to pull the clutch inspection cover today to look at what was in there. Thank goodness the 'front' side of the flywheel was dry, and the clutch was also dry:
DSC09350 resized.jpg

DSC09351 resized.jpg

Thinking now the oil leak is coming from the top of the engine in the rear drivers side area. Next trip I'll get my brother's pressure washer and clean up the engine so I can hopefully :) find the leak.

Also pulled the front bumper off so the frame horns can be cleaned and painted, and took the bumper home to do some straightening and painting:
DSC09353 resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:11 pm

The sway bar links and rubber look great! Good finds.

I’m glad the oil leak is not coming from the crankshaft. I will use a mirror and inspect the rear of the valve cover before the cleaning with the pressure washer.

Very good pictures.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby r1lark » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:12 am

Esteban wrote:The sway bar links and rubber look great! Good finds.

I’m glad the oil leak is not coming from the crankshaft. I will use a mirror and inspect the rear of the valve cover before the cleaning with the pressure washer.

Very good pictures.

Good idea Esteban, thanks.........I'll bring my inspection mirror next trip.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby r1lark » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:42 pm

Went to my Mom's yesterday. As suggested by Esteban, did look with a mirror and a light at the back of the head/valve cover, and pretty sure the oil is not coming from there. It looks like it may be coming from the far rear of the valve spring/lifter area cover, but not sure. Borrowed my brother's pressure washer, sprayed the Patrol engine down good with degreaser, and gave it a good cleaning. Unfortunately, while I had the pressure washer, I busied myself with cleaning some other 'non-Patrol' stuff that needed it, including my Mom's shed. So by the time I got all that done, it was getting close to 4pm and I still had a 90 minute drive home. Figured I had time to let the Patrol run and see where the oil was coming from, but couldn't get it to start without pouring some gas down the carb. Checked the tank, and it was empty (again). :( Didn't have time to run to a gas station that had non-ethanol fuel, so just pushed it back into it's parking space.

Next time I'll bring more gas and run it and verify the exact location of the leak.

Doesn't look like there is too much room between the distributor and block to get the valve spring/lifter area cover off and out. Can it be reasonably done without removing the distributor (again)?
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby r1lark » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:50 pm

Verified today that definitely the oil leak is coming from the valve spring/lifter area cover, right at the very rear lower corner. I had a gasket with me, but it was such a nasty day in NC today and starting to rain, so next trip the cover will get a new gasket.

Now I need to decide how I'm going to duplicate the exhaust downpipe. Should I even try to get the nuts off the studs, or just cut them off? The intake/exhaust gasket needs to be replaced anyway, so I can replace the studs while the intake/exhaust manifolds are off. And rebuild the carb..............
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby r1lark » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:47 am

Worked on the Patrol yesterday.........tackled the oil leak from the lifter/pushrod area cover. Pulled the distributor to get access:
IMG_20240408_102846087 resized.jpg

The gasket on the rear corner of the cover had either not been installed correctly, or shrunk significantly. The cover looks kinda nasty on the gasket side, but cleaned up really nice. :
IMG_20240408_102908036 resized.jpg

Had a NOS set of gaskets so used the lifter/pushrod cover gasket out of the set.
IMG_20240408_103220357 resized.jpg

The new gasket was in good shape, not brittle, and not shrunk. Used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket on both sides of the gasket.

Unfortunately when I got back to this after lunch, I forgot to take any additional pictures! :x Didn't have time to run the engine before I had to go, but have confidence that the leak will be gone.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Previous

Return to Projects