Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Volkmann77 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Wish i could take the rims off your hands. :(
Volkmann77 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby faux40 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:46 am

Volkmann77 wrote:Wish i could take the rims off your hands. :(

It's been a long crazy few months...but then that seems to be the new normal. Anyway, I finally removed the tires from the split rims... used a sawzall to cut them off! The rims without tires are still quite heavy, but at least then should be ups shippable (in individual boxes).

I'd like to see them to to a good home... Some are kinda rusty, some are not-so rusty. Actually, I can't promise condition, so how about this...

Free if you pick them up here in Sunny Roseville, $50 plus shipping if I have to box them up and ship them!

They even have the little hubcap clips

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Last chance on the split rims (I think they even have the super-rare hubcap nubbies on them -- Basically free to good home. You just need to pay to pick them up or pay for shipping

IMG_0130.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Next -- and more importantly -- we've started working on our Patrols again!

The parts Patrol is now down to a frame and axles. This way, they can be stored in much, much less space which means Aerogrl can be moved out a little and we can fix the damage to the front end and update the brakes that resulted in its bumps and bruises!

This is the "BEFORE" image of our Green '66 Patrol

And the "AFTER" image -- This, and the steering column are all that is left of that '66. All the other parts have been spread around the Patrol world (River has something, Bosque has parts and...). As for now, the plan is to recondition this frame then build our other '66 onto this frame. (This is Pete -- He loves to play fetch. Now if I could only get him to bring me the correct tool!)

These springs are pretty much dust at this point - One of the eyes is completely broken off and there are a few cracks in the leaves... They're on their way to be recycled into something new and exciting! (aka, the dump)

Speaking of dust -- When I tipped the frame over, this pile fell out of the cross-member while the frame was up on it's side. A few rust flakes, but mostly just dirt

Kinda excited to get rolling again!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Nice to see some action happening there!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 am

Nice!

After getting the body back onto the chassis of my 66, I realized that I only have one frame/chassis left to restore (the 62's) and that fact gave me much joy, because next to bodywork, de-rusting the frame is the second most "I hate it" task associated with re-doing one of these rigs.... 8-)
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am

STOP! Well, I wish Joe had been able to when he ran into that tree with our Patrol... ;-)

Our plan for updating the brakes on Aerogirl is moving along... well, I'm thinking about it lots! There is no question that we'll be switching to a dual master cylinder. We may... or may not... use a vacuum booster as I'm also likely to switch to front disks. Aesthetically, the booster cantilevered way out isn't ideal... but it does look much better than the crashed front end! The rears will probably remain drums.

Now, the big question... while doing the hydraulic shuffle, I'm thinking of switching to the later hydraulic clutch system -- I know Rob prefers mechanical... less to leak! But, I love the absolute simplicity of the hydraulic system! Plus, my mechanical linkage is nothing short of lumpy. It has never had a good feel.

Can someone share some close up pics of the hydraulic clutch system for me? Specifically how the slave mounts to the bell housing and where the hose mounting tab is located (where the steel pipe ends and the rubber flex-hose starts) -- the pics in the manual aren't so clear. Also, if someone has a firewall with both master cylinders removed, a head-on shot of the mounting points would be awesome too so I can create a drill-template.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 7.21.08 AM.png

Lastly, does anyone have a spare clutch slave cylinder bracket? Or, can someone loan me theirs so I can duplicate it?

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby 50car » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Under my Montana Patrol gallery in the body reassemble set, there is a pic showing the firewall with no master cylinders installed. I may have a spare slave cylinder bracket also floating around. Will have to dig in a couple of boxes of "stuff". If you need measurements of firewall holes let me know.Under the Montana Patrol gallery, there is also a pic of the slave cylinder and bracket not installed but bolted together.
Jeff
50Car
50car Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby faux40 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:09 am

Thanks for the pics! I still can't visualize how it mounts to the transmission! I'd really appreciate it if you can take those firewall measurements! And yes, if you have an extra bracket...

Thanks!

50car wrote:Under my Montana Patrol gallery in the body reassemble set, there is a pic showing the firewall with no master cylinders installed. I may have a spare slave cylinder bracket also floating around. Will have to dig in a couple of boxes of "stuff". If you need measurements of firewall holes let me know.Under the Montana Patrol gallery, there is also a pic of the slave cylinder and bracket not installed but bolted together.
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:49 am

I made a little REAL progress on the Patrol today!

I took the radiator support and radiator out today. You can see the damage to the front ends of both frame rails.

Here's the damaged parts

And the fan-print on the radiator

Close up of the worst part... OUCH!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects