1967 Family Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Esteban » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:40 am

Excellent pictures John. Thanks for sharing and taking us along with your progress.

Regarding the pulley seal surface, one possibility will be to polish it in the lathe, shaving as minimum as needed, and finding another seal with a smaller inner diameter. Or, if you find the smaller seal, turn the pulley to the new diameter to match.

In any case, you'll need to polish it to begin with, otherwise the seal will be worn easily. Measuring the diameter at the beginning and end. I doubt you'll take more than 0.010". The seal will still do its job.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby faux40 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:36 am

This evening was the great gas tank finale!

I pulled the tank skid pan out of the patrol and set it up in the shop. The original felt strips that protect the tank from rubbing on the skid pan are kinda gross, so I picked up a 2" wide x 1/8" thick x 10' long roll of rubber to use instead. I would have preferred black, but the price was right and the tank will be hidden!

In case you are interested -- it's SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber). An oil and temperature pliable rubber. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P3Q7DRF

Here's the skid pan has the rubber strips in place and is waiting for the tank.

Here the tank is secured in place! I left the strips run long and put the seam on top. I used the full five feet on each side.

I didn't take enough pictures, but boy adjusting the fuel sender was a chore! I wanted it to read full when it the sender float is about 1/8" from the top and empty when the float is about 1/8" from the bottom. This will add some error... It will read full when it's slightly less than 100% full, and more importantly, it will read empty a bit before it's actually empty -- my version of a gas warning light!

Fitting the fuel pump was far less difficult than the sender... except that I wanted to keep the filter about 1/16 of an inch off the bottom. Luckily the filter sock has a plastic spacer that holds it about 1/8" proud as it's literally touching the bottom! What happened was I cut the tube to length then "slipped" the pump outlet onto the tube... except it stopped slipping about 1/8" from all the way in! There was nothing I could do to push it in further or even pull it out at all! So, it's a tight fit fuel pump ;-)

And now -- it is installed in the frame! There is something gratifying about something moving from the shop and ending up installed on the Patrol ;-)

Next stop, brake and fuel plumbing and assembling the engine...

J
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:06 am

Looking good that fuel tank. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I probably missed the fact that you were going with an electric fuel pump. Will have to go back and read about it.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:04 am

Great idea on calibrating the fuel sender. I've never trusted the original and always fill up to prevent running out. Looks great!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:03 am

I did a thing!

I often look at my pile of Patrols and wonder if I will ever get Aerogirl back on the road... Someday! Anyway, I need to finish assembling the engine. So today, I removed all pieces from the intake/exhaust manifolds. They are in excellent shape, but very DIRTY! I plan to drag them up to the local radiator shop and see if they'll give them an overnight in their hot tank -- I could wash them myself. In fact that was the plan... the plan that I never got to! Anyway... I need to build a small cabinet washer ;-)

So, all stripped down and ready for a dunk! Not a big day, but I did a thing!

Happy Superbowl Sunday!

J
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Projects