Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 am

Kids and mud. The best! :lol:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Did you go through that mud in 5th gear..?

Or, is 5th gear still sitting in a crate on your garage floor? :twisted:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:21 pm

moore_rb wrote:Did you go through that mud in 5th gear..?

Or, is 5th gear still sitting in a crate on your garage floor? :twisted:

It's sitting right next to 4th gear if you must know! ;-) Someday...
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:28 pm

I just watched your video - and all I can say is that you're lucky there weren't any members of the Sierra Club out there to witness your debauchery and rampant disregard for that mud's rights to be left undisturbed... You might have gotten a stern talking-to by the Birkenstock Brigade... :twisted:

and then, I switched over to the previous video, and what do I see? Three flagrant juvenile delinquents, conducting themselves in callous disregard for California's legal driving age - out there putting the lives of everyone on that dry lake bed in danger, all just to have a little fun, flouting society's conventions... And to top it all off, there's some old guy with a camera out there cheering them on...?!?!?!?!

"Way to go kids! You just keep on driving without a license - Grandpa will pick up the fine if a cops catches us...."

This is how society breaks down- Today it's illegal dry lake bed joy rides - Tomorrow they'll be knocking over the local liquor store to score some cigarettes and Colt45 in a can.

But then, what should I expect from the offspring of a felonious odometer tamperer, and mattress tag ripper-offer...? I guess the apples don't fall far from the tree... :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Actually, I loved both videos, and they made me want to hurry up and get one of my Patrols back together so I can go out and do some driving of my own :mrgreen: )
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:47 am

Things have been kind of quiet in the Family Patrol Land lately -- Stupid work gets in the way of everything! Anyway, Jay showed me a site he used to better understand how an engine works -- Really, really well done. Even if you totally understand how engines work, it's completely worth a look. There's also one for how a jet engine works -- super, super cool!

http://animagraffs.com/how-a-car-engine-works/
Here's a screen capture of the site -- On the site, everything is animated so it's super cool!
Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.44.51 AM.png

Enjoy! I sure did!

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:13 am

It's been quiet around here... aside from work of course. Anyway, Patrol season is here. Just about time to decapitate Aerogirl for the summer. Of course, I need to give it an oil change but haven't been able to get around to it. BUT, our local Nissan dealer put out a Memorial Day coupon for a super discounted oil change. It's not far from our house... So, I took it in. Thinking ahead, I figured they might not have the filter in stock so I dragged one of my NOS ones along. I was right, they didn't.

There she sits waiting for an oil change with all the new kids

It was pretty funny -- One of the service reps uttered to the other "What on earth is that? That is cool". Two mechanics fawned all over it... one kinda sprinted for the paperwork. The sales people seemed a little confused too. Anyway, since I brought my own filter, they even plan to discount my discounted price by the cost of the filter.

Really, why did I take it in for an oil change and not simply do it here since I already have all the oil? Here's my top 5 list
5) I've been procrastinating far too long on the oil change. --> This solved it.
4) It was cheap
3) Because I thought it would be fun to see their reaction... it was.
2) -- And this the second biggest reason -- Because they will lube any zerk fitting they find!

1) Because they will do a million point inspection and will give me a report of the "issues" they find.

Sadly, I brought it to them near the end of the day so our little Patrol gets a sleep-over party locked up in the shop. I think this the first time it's spent the night anywhere except here since dragging it home for the first time.

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:46 am

Too funny! :laughing-rolling: Having worked at dealerships in a past life, I totally get it. :lol: I must do this some day. :D

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mattbob53 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:17 am

Hopefully the new mechanics know what to do when there computer doesn't plug in

Matt
Mattbob53 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby faux40 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:25 am

Almost exactly three years ago (July 27, 2013), we bought our first Patrol -- for the kids! We were looking for something to work on with the kids -- Joe was 12 at the time and had started talking about what cars he was "GOING" to have when he started driving. Of course, our family rules are 1) you must learn the basics of car repair and 2) you have to take the driving test in a stick shift; and 3) young drivers get slow vehicles (e.g. no hot rodded V8 Mustangs Joe!).

We'd been trolling Craigslist for something old, simple, interesting and not fast. On the options list included Datsun 510s, MGBs (Em still want's one of these), and old MOPARs. We just stumbled on the Patrol. I'd heard of them, but had never actually seen one in person. It really caught our eye. We drove out to see it in the morning. It was cool so we immediately made the deal. It was perfect. Needed tons of work (that particular one still does of course), is super simple, and very, very interesting!

Back to the current era --
Sadly for the safety of those living in Placer County -- Joe finally got his driver's permit. He's had his required lesson with a professional driving instructor and can drive on the California streets and highways with us panicking in the passenger seat. A couple days ago, I introduced Joe to the stick shift in our old Nissan Frontier. Just like many new relationships, they really didn't get along famously and actually argued a bit. Joe would ask the truck to start moving... the truck would buck like a bronco for a bit, then die. This when on for a while, but it was fun... and funny at times!

Anyway, last night -- as in after dark -- Joe got his first taste of driving the Patrol. Just like with the pickup -- you know, the one with the smooth clutch pedal, easy shifting 5-speed (with syncros in first gear!) and easy to start fuel injection -- Joe's relationship with the Patrol started off every bit as rocky as with the pickup. Perhaps even a bit more rocky! They argued about getting moving, lane position and even stopping! Despite all that arguing, Joe learned:
1) The Patrol is harder to get moving with the parking brake on (and it creates that lovely smell in a hurry even when moving at low speeds!).
2) It prefers to have some throttle when the clutch is let out quickly.
3) It will screech the tires when it's revved up and the clutch is let out super fast!

Joe actually recognized that his beginning driving technique is likely really hard on a vehicle and suggested he learn in our old Nissan Frontier since parts for that are easy to find! I retorted -- we bought the Patrol as a family vehicle... and you've fixed it once already!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:49 pm

Congratulations Joe! :clap:

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects