1967 Family Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby faux40 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 am

I still haven't fixed the leak or started it up... Hopefully will find some time, but right now I'm wondering if I could re-purpose a dash light as an oil pressure idiot light... hmmm.

On another note, I haven't been hiding out... just got involved with a couple of bands! Playing in a band was my teenage dream! Now, I'm totally living my midlife crisis! Last Friday, we even got on TV!
http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/v ... ress-play/
http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/v ... play-pt-2/

If any Sac Locals are interested -- We're playing at the El Dorado Saloon in El Dorado Hills on Saturday 5/19 (I'm talkin' to you offroadkid! ;-)

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue May 08, 2018 8:13 am

faux40 wrote:
On another note, I haven't been hiding out... just got involved with a couple of bands! Playing in a band was my teenage dream! Now, I'm totally living my midlife crisis! Last Friday, we even got on TV!
http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/v ... ress-play/
http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/v ... play-pt-2/

If any Sac Locals are interested -- We're playing at the El Dorado Saloon in El Dorado Hills on Saturday 5/19 (I'm talkin' to you offroadkid! ;-)

John

Very cool! 8-) Good for you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you, I am sure my Patrols will fall victim to this weakness. Please send some pictures of the failed nylon tube. I must get mine replaced ASAP.
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby Flaggoni » Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm

The nylon tube we’re referencing comes with aftermarket oil pressure gages that people usually mount on top or under
the dash. The stock Patrol gage is electrically operated, so you’re safe unless modified.
Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby faux40 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Flaggoni wrote:The nylon tube we’re referencing comes with aftermarket oil pressure gages that people usually mount on top or under
the dash. The stock Patrol gage is electrically operated, so you’re safe unless modified.
Mild Bill

Mine has both! The mechanical gauge is located under the hood by the hood hinge -- Installed it way back when I was having all that trouble getting oil to the top (remember the backward cam bearing?). Never got around to taking it back out. Doh! Assuming it's actually the culprit, it's a four minute fix... except that everything under the hood is slimy right now. Once fixed, the first trip will be to the bath!

J
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Success! I found the leak... not where I expected though.

Joe and I came up with a plan... we topped off the oil (it was barely still-on-the-stick) and then set up a gopro in the engine bay pointed where the oil pressure line enters the oil galley... That's the most likely spot for that little nylon like to leak, right? We set the camera to 240 fps so we'd get some good slo-mo leak-action of the oil spraying everywhere. We started it up and let it run for about 30-seconds with the hood shut (I don't need an oil shower right now!). We opened the hood and discovered the leak was not way down there, but up near the firewall... here:

See the little pinch -- Oil was flowing out at a pretty good clip

On the bright side, it appears that no damage was done; the gauge has been removed (the dash gauge works... somewhat -- it moves about 1/4" between engine-off and high idle so we can tell if we have oil pressure); and now we're off to the car wash for a little de-greasing!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Sat May 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks Bill. You are most appreciated. Mine are original, I think as I don't see any lines like the picture shows.

This forum is such a safety blanket for people like me.

Patrolling when possible,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Postby faux40 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 am

Ugh -- It's been a long couple of weeks. Joe (my 17 y.o. son) had another crash... He's fine, but our little nissan truck is not so fine. In fact, I'm sure it's totalled. Both air bags deployed, frame is bent and the transmission is broken internally. Internally, it's stuck in reverse but the shifter will still let you put it into additional gears at the same time! It got towed home and I had to back it around the block to get it into the driveway!

IMG_20180523_220937.jpg

I love that truck! I've had it since new... very sad day.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Very sorry to hear about this mishap. Hope your Joe is ok, and that something positive will come out of all this. :(
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby faux40 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Luckily Joe and all involved are fine. The poor truck will be heading to the wreckers soon... Not sure who will be deemed at fault, but either way our poor truck drove it's last 1/4 mile in reverse! Anyone need some cheap 2000 Nissan Frontier Parts? ;-)

In the mean time, Joe's earned himself quite a track record -- he's totaled both of our primary family vehicles in the past year! We're down to just my truck! Good thing I bought the 4-door model or we'd be in real trouble! Maybe this will inspire Joe to be a super-defensive and double-bonus safe driver!

On a tangentially related note, between this and my medical bills (emergency kidney stone surgery -- ouch!), I'm sadly considering selling off part of the Patrol herd.

John

Esteban wrote:Very sorry to hear about this mishap. Hope your Joe is ok, and that something positive will come out of all this. :(
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects