1967 Family Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby moore_rb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 pm

faux40 wrote: I'm sure I could find a shop that could do it... But if you already have a shop, would it be easier for me to send it to you and you can have them do it? PM me.

John

Dude- If you trust me that much with a piece you just brought halfway around the world, then yes, I can make it happen.

PM sent; and THANKS in advance!

maybe soon we will BOTH be 5-speeding... :auto-driving:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Peter60 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 pm

FAux40. Could you explain what that piece is and why you needed it? Did the Marks break or some compatibility reason?

Just interested since I run with a Marks.

Tks
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby G60michael » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 am

Great to see its arrived mate, was getting a bit worried there when it said awaiting clearance for about a week, was starting to think you may never of seen it, I hope you can be out driving the 67 soon mate now you have that vital part.

Peter60, as moore_rb mentions he has a Marks 5 Speed also that is interestingly enough missing the same part that John (Faux40) Needed for his, turns out I had one lying in a Divorced Transfer from an old Marks 5 Speed and never thought to double check or was even aware of it being still in the now divorced transfer, its wasn't until I received Johns message one day asking me if I could point him in the direction of finding one, that's when I decided to check.

So there for the bloke who ended up with my 5 speed is now in the same boat as Moore_RB and John (Faux40) :lol:

Id Like to thanks John for sourcing me some Gearbox bearings that I was having trouble finding a while back, I did since locates some locally from another place after a lot of Cross Referencing, I do have more Gearbox's to do up one day so the bearings for john ill come in great use.

Got to love a community like those of us here on 60Patrol, its not the first time, wont be the last time that ill be swapping and trading bits with other members, such a good way to operate as it plays a big factor in keep each and everyone's old g60's going for many decades more.

Thanks a lot Cobber, and enjoy the shaft.

G60michael Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby moore_rb » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 am

Peter60 wrote:FAux40. Could you explain what that piece is and why you needed it? Did the Marks break or some compatibility reason?

Just interested since I run with a Marks.

Tks

Pete- The shaft replaces the Patrol's stock transfer case input shaft - the Marks trans has an 18 spline output, and the Patrol TCase needs a 10 spline input.

This piece is the adaptor that has 18 spline female on one side (to fit up to the trans), and 10 Spline male on the other side (to fit into the TCase)

When I saw that John and Michael were working on a possible trade, I started to :pray: hahaha

As Micheal states- if you ever separate the Marks from the Patrol TCase, this piece will slide out of the marks and will stay attached to the Transfer case

Only if you had a stock Patrol Tcase sitting next to it would you notice the difference :geek:

When John's shaft arrives at my place, I'm going to work with a machinist that can make a replica, and I will post pictures of the difference between this shaft and a stock Patrol shaft

HUGE thanks to G60Mike -- Turns out you are helping more people than just John with this trade... Good one, Mate :clap:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 am

Yep -- That! I just know that I'm thrilled that G60michael had the piece I need to get to 5-speed bliss! ;-) What a great Patrol community!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby G60michael » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 am

Hi guys,

Who would of ever thought that an old disused transfer lying under my shed would hold such a vital part to it :lol:

I didn't even deem it good enough to pack into dry storage :lol: but after opening it up to remove the shaft for John, its appears to be very clean inside, great for parts so I'll Strip it down and store the bits in dry storage in the next couple of weeks.

Now while you have it apart mate, please take 10 minuets to inspect the Counter Gear Shaft in the Transfer Case ( I have circled it in Red in the Below Picture) This is also The Donor case for you marks 5 speed part pictured, it has some noticeable wear and damage to this counter gear shaft were the hard facing is letting go and chipping away. 6859

I've Recently diagnosed this as a Flaw within the driveline of an old G60, However there would be many old g60s out there going to several more thousands of KM's like this unknown but if your plan is to do it once and do it right please take the time to inspect it first and repair It if need be.

I'm Rebuilding a transfer case at present for my 1977 G60 Ute, there was also damage to this Counter Gear shaft, very minimal, but being a mechanic by trade I'm not the type to turn the light of, put it back together and call it good :lol:

I then hunted up a Serviceable shaft from my spares, I do need to mention that I had to open a further 3 transfer cases until I found a serviceable shaft!! The same problem with the others I raided showed the same problem with the hard facing failing on the shaft.

I think this needs to be addressed in the future, possibly with a shaft with thicker hard facing.

Here is the 77 G60 Shaft I found during the teardown and inspection before I rebuild it, you can see the damaged needled roller and the damage to the hard facing on the shaft to the left of the bearing 6856

Below image is The shaft from the Donor Transfer the marks bit came from, this is the worst one I have seen yet, only good for a paper weight :lol: but

There was another shaft I inspected but did not take photos of it, this pic is the "serviceable shaft" I found (I did not want to raid anymore of my spares incase it was a waste of time :lol: ) there is some slight discoloration but I think it will be perfectly fine, hard facing is in great shape.

Sorry for Hi-Jacking the thread Guys but I thought I should share my $2 worth while you'll be playing around in this department, fingers crossed it will be sweet for your sake mate, take care G60mick
G60michael Offline

Postby faux40 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:46 am

So, Aerogirl has basically been sitting since the brake fail. Last November, I had the fenders, hood and radiator support sandblasted... and there she sits. Recently I've been thinking about getting it back on the road so I've been watching youtube videos on car things -- body work, engine swaps, whatever piques my interest at the moment.

Anyway, I realized that there are really only two ways folks work on old cars...

1) They get them running, then keep them running, fix this, fix that as they progress toward their finished product.

And, what the pro's do --

2) They disassemble it, clean it, do what needs to be done to put it back together.

I've always been more of a get it running and keep it running person... only fixing what I have to all while saying "yea, someday!" But recently I've been seriously thinking about the Patrols -- I have three and a half, two rebuilt engines, a Marks 5-speed and countless other goodies... so much so, my back driveway is full and a huge chunk of my garage is full of Patrol goodies.

I realized that I need to either sell all my Patrol goodies -- or, work like the pros do. -- I chose to go pro

Step 1 -- Remove the hard top and sides.

Step 2 -- Remove the tub

Step 3 -- Remove the firewall & floors/seatbox

Step 4 -- Probably this week, all these goodies (plus the tub, floors and firewall) will be heading to the sandblaster for cleaning and primer.

I am really worried what the roof will look like -- There is a pretty thick layer of surface rust on the underside of the roof. Plus, I'm positive that there is bondo and likely fiberglass all over it. But, I either fix it now or it rusts away anyway. If it's fixable, I'll find a way to fix it... otherwise, I mount that soft top frame on it and make it a softie!

This is after removing the headliner -- there are far more rust flakes coming out of the visor section that I would like. Hopefully it's not as bad as I expect... but it's probably gonna be worse!

All the glass is out -- The windshield has a couple small cracks, so I'll need to get a new one cut. But the wings, door glass and back glass are good. I have a set of sliders and new rubber for it tucked away somewhere in the garage. I will need to find some compatible rubber for all the windows soon too.

I may have removed the diamond-tuck headliner, but the seats are staying! Even if they don't match the new color scheme!

Some thing that works for me is to just be committed... When I don't get started, or barely start, the project just sits. Once I'm elbow deep into a project and there's no easy way out, I tend to make good progress. I think I'm committed at this point!

I plan to swap out the engine currently in Aerogirl with my rebuilt spare -- it is the original engine for this patrol so the serial number will match the VIN plate. Also, I'll be installing the Marks as well!

Anyway, all fun and games! Let's see if I can keep this momentum going!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:37 am

Wow! Rock on! :character-beavisbutthead:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Weird -- I always assumed that our soft top has un-cut fenders (well, at least this feels like a new discovery... perhaps my memory is defective!). Anyway, the rear fenders have that lip neatly folded back like they should be, but this morning I was looking over the parts that will be heading to the sand blaster soon and while vacillating between "oh boy, what have I done" and making new and exciting plans to make the nicest Patrol ever, I notice something...

This is Aerogirl's stock, uncut rear fender - 4-1/2" from the opening to the body contour line.

And, this is the lip on the soft top's rear fender -- Looks stock and uncut, doesn't it?

But, here's the top of the arch -- suddenly not so stock looking. - 1" from the opening to the body contour line.

Someone really spent some time cutting the fenders cleanly so they even look like they are supposed to!

And just for reference, here's the '66 Hard Top's definitely cut fender

Anyway -- Apparently there is always something new and exciting to discover on the ol' Patrol!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:45 pm

That's amazing! I have never seen cut fenders that someone took the time and effort to re-make the inner lip. :o And they did a great job.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects