1967 Patrol frame off restoration - light

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RMP&O » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Picking up sand blasted frame and axle housings this weekend. Lot's going on with this project.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RMP&O » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Sand blasted frame and axle housings are at my shop. Absolutely slammed with the day job but trying to stay on track and keep plugging away with the projects. Found a busted piston in the motor for this truck so the engine is getting a full rebuild.

Body color and canvas color have been selected for the project also.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby miller » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:14 am

Sounds like you've been busy Ian.
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RMP&O » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

miller wrote:Sounds like you've been busy Ian.

Very.....
RMP&O Offline

Postby miller » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:59 am

Need some up dated pics mate! :D
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

Postby RMP&O » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:25 am

Just finished work for the year, if you know me you know I own a seasonal company besides doing trucks. So now it is truck time for the next 5 months!

Acid bath on inside of the frame in prep for painting the inside of the frame with a rust encapsulating paint.

Love my frame cart! Very hard to see inside these frames like I am sure some of you know without a scope camera but I have spent sometime with this frame and given it the best look I can inside. It is in very good condition.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby RMP&O » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Took a fair amount of time to get all the sand out of this frame after sandblasting. Acid bath is all good and frame is looking really clean. Front brake line tab on the frame (LHS) was all mangled from previous owner bending it back out of their way to mount a snow plow. Fixed it up and welded it in place on the frame. Frame is hanging from the engine hoist, all ready for the Rust Bullet application to the inside of the frame. For this truck I also bought the black chassis paint and the manifold paint. Engine is due back from the machine shop any day now.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby RMP&O » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Getting the frame painted inside is a really really messy job.

but the results are outstanding....

So I use the Rust Bullet http://www.rustbullet.com/ to encapsulate any rust on the frame. While this frame was sand blasted the inside was not and on top of that every single seam on the frame will have rust sandwiched inside the seam. So I apply the RB inside the frame via the holes in the frame. I thin the paint down, use a honey type bottle to squirt the paint into the frame and then I use a homemade brush to get everything coated in there. The homemade brush is simply a wire coat hanger cut in half with a clean rag attached to it. I then stuff the rag on the wire inside the frame rails via the holes and spend lot's of time moving it back and forth plus I twist it a a lot. Basically everything I can do to get the RB coated on the whole inside. I also flip the frame over a few times to do this. I then go over the outside of the frame with the RB using a brush to jam and force it into every single seam on the frame, I even hit the welds with it too. I then let it cure with one end of the frame lower than the other so excess paint drains out. Once that is done it is sanding time to clean off all excess paint that has oozed out of the frame or that I spread on seams. I start with 36grit on the pneumatic sander then move to 80g and work my way up to 200g. Also takes a lot of hand sanding to get into all the nooks and crannies. In other words, lot's of hours sanding. In the following pictures I am only up to 80g and have lot's of hand sanding left to do. The RB also ends up acting like a filler or sealer since it is left in any depressions and the like on the frame. For this frame I used 3/4 of a gallon of RB.

flipping the frame over is easy with the hoist

Here are all the paint products I am using on the frame/chassis. In addition in this pile is a fuel tank resto kit I will be using on the fuel tank.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby RMP&O » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:34 pm

By the way, if you are going to do your own painting, I strongly suggest getting one of these.

That is a Hobby Air fresh air system. Breathing toxins is bad news for your body and this thing makes that impossible. It also works real good for grinding, no more black boogers!

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby pdub » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:28 am

Looks great :D
1967 Patrol
2017 Toyota Tacoma
1968 Camaro
1968 Disneyland Autopia Car
/Users/paulwilcox/Desktop/IMG_5089.jpg
pdub Offline