Minion Missile - 1973 Colombian Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:44 pm

rdarnell wrote: I am planning to make the correct mount that was offered by Koening for the lower mounted winch. I think the A frame winches were used on Toyotas and Jeeps.

Somewhere I have pictures of that mount with a measuring tape showing the measurements of all the necessary parts, but for the life of me I can't find them. This picture is actually one of my previous Patrols, and I took all the pictures and measurements from it before it went to a new home. I just need to find them. :roll: :doh:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mad4hws » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Thank you for the input. A little re-work is definitely in order. I do want to mount the PTO driven winch, which I know will take a little bit more effort and fabrication. The winch that I have mounts from the bottom (Rdarnell, i think this is the A-frame that you mention). this causes it to stand a little bit taller than the winch that is normally found on Patrols. If it was mounted to the top of the bumper, it would require a hole be drilled in the front bib, which I am not going to do. I'm thinking a frame structure of some sort that will sit between the two frame rails. Will be curious to see if anyone else has done a set-up like that with this type of winch.
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby rdarnell » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:16 pm

You could cut out part of the bumper and countersink the winch. I am pretty sure that is how the Toyotas are done. Figure our how low it needs to mate up with the hole in the frame and then build some supports that mount to the underside of the frame. That might put the top of the winch in the correct spot.
rdarnell Offline

Postby mad4hws » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Look what was in my garage when I got home last night.

A new Crazy Cart... Ya!
mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:22 pm

rdarnell wrote:You could cut out part of the bumper and countersink the winch. I am pretty sure that is how the Toyotas are done. Figure our how low it needs to mate up with the hole in the frame and then build some supports that mount to the underside of the frame. That might put the top of the winch in the correct spot.

Yes. This is what I'm going to have to do. I have to get some confidence with the welder. I guess this is as good as any place to start
mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:58 am

Got the new tires/wheels on the Patrol. What a difference:

here is the before picture:

mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 am

Yesterday was nice outside. #1 daughter is turning 16 in a few months, so figuring that she is about to get her learner's permit and also considering the amount of time she has spent with me on this rig, we took her out to a local school parking lot to do some test driving. It was the first time the Patrol has been out since the axles were overhauled, new drivelines and new brakes. The Patrol did great. No issues to report. #1 daughter, however, needs a little more time behind the steering wheel.

It was amazing the amount of people that we saw out. I was expecting streets and sidewalks to be abandoned. that was not the case. It seemed as though people were keeping their distance from one another. We were the only ones at the school parking lot :)
mad4hws Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:32 am

Very nice! Your work is most excellent. Now need to go back and re-read the history of your mosheen.

It looks like your seats are moved back a beat for more leg room. Am I seeing that right?
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby rdarnell » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:32 am

I have been taking my niece out for driving since Dec 10. Started in church parking lot getting her used to driving and her surroundings. Then we moved to her neighborhood and added route to her school. Then we kicked it up a notch with drives in the park that was one way with lots of walkers, bikers and dogs to keep an eye on. With social distancing happening we have added the major streets in Louisville ky. In ky students have to 40 hours day driving and 20 night
rdarnell Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:24 pm

It looks great!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects