Minion Missile - 1973 Colombian Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby yuke175 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:35 am

Did you ever receive feedback if any modifications had to happen to use the u joint that you did
yuke175 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby mad4hws » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I am back from a bit of a hiatus on the Patrol project. I was replacing the bushings on the rear sway bar and a bolt broke. It was a pain as there wasn't adequate room to drill it out. I ended up dropping the leaf spring and disconnecting from the axle so that I could drill it out and tap a new hole. With that behind me, the rest of the suspension is in. Finally the Minion Missile is sitting on a proper shock set-up. I do think i am going to replace the springs though.

With the axles in, I was also able to finally fit the master cylinder and bleed the lines. I learned a valuable lesson about the need to bench bleed your new master cylinders. I ended up having to take it all out once I had it set-up because I failed to read the directions.... :angry-screaming:

Once i bench bled it and got it back in, I noticed a few leaks around the circuit. I tightened those up and it looks good to go.

Now the next order of business. It has been sitting a while and won't start. I had replaced the carb a few months back and it never really ran well. A friend of mine highly recommended a gentleman that can tune her up and have her running like a watch. So, that's the next stop.

Once she's back, I need to get the new headlights in. that will be fun. The exhaust system also needs to be replaced. Can't wait to hear that new header that i got from Australia a while back. I also need to get the new windshield frame in and find some wiper motors. The tires and wheels also need to go - baby needs new shoes. Lots still to do. I'll take some pictures soon.
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby rdarnell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Are you still needing a donor frame?
rdarnell Offline

Postby mad4hws » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Richard,
Yes, i forgot to list that, but yes. This frame is considerably suspect.
mad4hws Offline

Postby rdarnell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm

10-4. Still got it.
rdarnell Offline

Postby mad4hws » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:41 pm

I got my VFA carburetor and manual choke conversion kit from Amazon. The choke conversion was pretty easy. I haven't removed the old carb yet.

A couple of questions. There is a hot air port on the new carb. My old one didn't have this connected. Has anyone connected this? Does it come from the exhaust manifold? Right now the hose that is connected to the exhaust manifold is plumbed to my brake booster. Not sure if this is correct or not.

Also,
Can someone take a picture of the stock choke cable set-up? I'm guessing there must be a bracket of some sort close to the carb to connect this to.

Thanks.

mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 pm

mad4hws wrote:...

A couple of questions. There is a hot air port on the new carb. My old one didn't have this connected. Has anyone connected this? Does it come from the exhaust manifold? Right now the hose that is connected to the exhaust manifold is plumbed to my brake booster. Not sure if this is correct or not.

I was looking at pictures of your engine bay, and the hose that goes to the brake booster is connected to the intake manifold, to a big vacuum port,
So that should remain.

In my carburetor I didn’t bother for the heat, since that’s solely to actuate the automatic choke, that you are now converting to manual.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks Esteban.

This weekend, we're going to swap carbs and hopefully she fires up and purs like a kitten. As far as vacuum lines, I only see 2. The one from the intake manifold to the brake booster and the second is from the carb to the distributor. Are there others that should be there that are missing? Can someone post a picture of the stock manual choke cable set-up near the carburetor? I suspect there must be some linkage or brackets there that are missing. even though this would have to be modified somewhat due to the change in Carbs, I would like to get it close to how it came originally.

Also have to replace the water pump as the current one is leaking pretty badly. Should be a pretty easy swap (famous last words).

Next week, the minion missile has an appointment to have it's flywheel replaced. It's coming together, just really slowly.
mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:28 am

These are a couple of pictures of my setup.

For the choke cable, I have a crude approach. One of those that began as "temporarily" and you realize that many years have passed.

Esteban Carburetor 1.jpg

And this other picture shows the vacuum port connected to the distributor.

Esteban Carburetor 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Yes, the vacuum tube needs to be attached.
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

PreviousNext

Return to Projects