Minion Missile - 1973 Colombian Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:34 pm

The grommet keeps water/debris from getting down the wiper shaft and also keeps water from getting into the windshield frame. You'll probably want a bigger OD for the latter purpose.

I JUST found the pics! There are several. I need to take some time to organize and resize them to upload here.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mad4hws » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:I JUST found the pics! There are several. I need to take some time to organize and resize them to upload here.

Awesome! cannot wait!
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:10 pm

The wiper motors look great! Congratulations.

The grommets are there to prevent the water from going inside the frame, so if they can cover the hole, you’ll be good.

The other rubber in the shape of a small cap prevents the water from going inside the axle of the motor. Don’t know if you refer to this one, but if so, my idea is that it should fit snug to the axle and loose over the jacket, so water will have a difficult travel to go inside the jacket. Other members might want it the opposite.

I’ve found that a valve stem seal works great.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Flaggoni » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Another option for a shaft seal on the wiper motor (like Esteban’s Valve stem seal) is to use a spark plug cable boot. They have a ‘stepped’ inside diameter. If you cut the boot in the right place, it works perfectly.
Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby mad4hws » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:01 pm

I was initially referring to the small grommets, not the axle shaft. But, I'm glad I heard the suggestions - Thank you Mild Bill and Esteban. I as we get the New (old) frame ready to go, we may end up trying them all. The new frame is an old frame off of a '67. My Patrol is a '73 (or so I am told). So, it will be a bit of a Frankenstein. But, it will be a pretty cool Frankenstein.
mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Back in 2017, I acquired this windshield frame from another forum member. It's been crated up all this time. Well, today we opened it up. Sort of like Christmas in April! The rubber is beyond dry rotted. It's closer to petrified! It has some surface rust, but is actually in amazing shape. Also included are the sun visors. They too are dry rotted beyond what I thought was possible. A couple of questions for the group:

1) for the rubber on the (vents, sides of frame, top an bottom pieces), what have forum members used as replacements? I bought some from the guy up in Canada at NewDatsun parts.com, but I don't think I have the side pieces or for the vents.

2) For the holes on on the inside, I'm guessing those are for the convertible top frame. Wondering if we should weld these up and drill new ones once we put the new frame on?

3) For the visors, has anyone restored these? Or has anyone had them restored?

mad4hws Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:25 pm

Some of those holes on the inside were added after the fact, others were for the hard top roof to attach to.

I'm pretty sure an upholstery shop could restore those visors.

Esteban recently posted a source for the vent rubber.

Just for posterity's sake, the windshield was from a '68/'69.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mad4hws » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:Some of those holes on the inside were added after the fact, others were for the hard top roof to attach to.

There are several that look like I drilled them (and i don't mean that in a flattering way) These are more on the interior. there are several larger ones that look like they were done at the factory. I think we'll weld up the ones that are clearly "after the fact" while we're doing all of the other rehab work. Since we are not putting on a hardtop, do I need any of these holes? If not, we'll weld those up too.

Thanks River
mad4hws Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:12 pm

Only if you need them for attaching your top, otherwise weld away.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:16 am

I personally will cover the holes you mention on the windshield frame with Bondo, rather that weld, unless you're really good at welding the hole shut. With the weld, the inside is going to rust eventually, since it will be very difficult to protect it.

Years ago, I found some rust developing inside the frame of mine, and I used an acid product (back in Ecuador) to get rid of the rust. I just filled the frame with it, let it do its magic (or so I believed), cleaned, let it dried, and then poured some epoxy primer inside, moving the frame in all directions so the primer would be distributed all over. A very messy job! The exposed holes where the vents are located is where I poured the product.

-----
Regarding the vents, as RiverPatrol mentioned, I applied the gasket to the vent, rather than to the frame as originally done.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2007&p=9657

-----
For the windshield rubber, I have in my notes that member chrisvoinche used the following profile:
https://www.steelerubber.com/master-num ... 60-0728-99

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3997&p=33015&hilit=steelerubber#p33015
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

PreviousNext

Return to Projects