Minion Missile - 1973 Colombian Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby yuke175 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:35 am

Did you ever receive feedback if any modifications had to happen to use the u joint that you did
yuke175 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby mad4hws » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I am back from a bit of a hiatus on the Patrol project. I was replacing the bushings on the rear sway bar and a bolt broke. It was a pain as there wasn't adequate room to drill it out. I ended up dropping the leaf spring and disconnecting from the axle so that I could drill it out and tap a new hole. With that behind me, the rest of the suspension is in. Finally the Minion Missile is sitting on a proper shock set-up. I do think i am going to replace the springs though.

With the axles in, I was also able to finally fit the master cylinder and bleed the lines. I learned a valuable lesson about the need to bench bleed your new master cylinders. I ended up having to take it all out once I had it set-up because I failed to read the directions.... :angry-screaming:

Once i bench bled it and got it back in, I noticed a few leaks around the circuit. I tightened those up and it looks good to go.

Now the next order of business. It has been sitting a while and won't start. I had replaced the carb a few months back and it never really ran well. A friend of mine highly recommended a gentleman that can tune her up and have her running like a watch. So, that's the next stop.

Once she's back, I need to get the new headlights in. that will be fun. The exhaust system also needs to be replaced. Can't wait to hear that new header that i got from Australia a while back. I also need to get the new windshield frame in and find some wiper motors. The tires and wheels also need to go - baby needs new shoes. Lots still to do. I'll take some pictures soon.
mad4hws Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby rdarnell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Are you still needing a donor frame?
rdarnell Offline

Postby mad4hws » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Richard,
Yes, i forgot to list that, but yes. This frame is considerably suspect.
mad4hws Offline

Postby rdarnell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm

10-4. Still got it.
rdarnell Offline

Postby mad4hws » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:41 pm

I got my VFA carburetor and manual choke conversion kit from Amazon. The choke conversion was pretty easy. I haven't removed the old carb yet.

A couple of questions. There is a hot air port on the new carb. My old one didn't have this connected. Has anyone connected this? Does it come from the exhaust manifold? Right now the hose that is connected to the exhaust manifold is plumbed to my brake booster. Not sure if this is correct or not.

Also,
Can someone take a picture of the stock choke cable set-up? I'm guessing there must be a bracket of some sort close to the carb to connect this to.

Thanks.

mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 pm

mad4hws wrote:...

A couple of questions. There is a hot air port on the new carb. My old one didn't have this connected. Has anyone connected this? Does it come from the exhaust manifold? Right now the hose that is connected to the exhaust manifold is plumbed to my brake booster. Not sure if this is correct or not.

I was looking at pictures of your engine bay, and the hose that goes to the brake booster is connected to the intake manifold, to a big vacuum port,
So that should remain.

In my carburetor I didn’t bother for the heat, since that’s solely to actuate the automatic choke, that you are now converting to manual.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby mad4hws » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks Esteban.

This weekend, we're going to swap carbs and hopefully she fires up and purs like a kitten. As far as vacuum lines, I only see 2. The one from the intake manifold to the brake booster and the second is from the carb to the distributor. Are there others that should be there that are missing? Can someone post a picture of the stock manual choke cable set-up near the carburetor? I suspect there must be some linkage or brackets there that are missing. even though this would have to be modified somewhat due to the change in Carbs, I would like to get it close to how it came originally.

Also have to replace the water pump as the current one is leaking pretty badly. Should be a pretty easy swap (famous last words).

Next week, the minion missile has an appointment to have it's flywheel replaced. It's coming together, just really slowly.
mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:28 am

These are a couple of pictures of my setup.

For the choke cable, I have a crude approach. One of those that began as "temporarily" and you realize that many years have passed.

Esteban Carburetor 1.jpg

And this other picture shows the vacuum port connected to the distributor.

Esteban Carburetor 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esteban Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Yes, the vacuum tube needs to be attached.
63 Soft Top - For Sale (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby mad4hws » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:42 pm

Well. I put took the old carb off and put the new one on. Turns out that the intake manifold wasn't warped like the mechanic suspected. That's a good thing, but it didn't make sense from the start. How could a cast iron intake manifold suddenly warp after 50 years? I think they just didn't want to deal with it. That's fine, I had fun, of course with the help of the forum: Here's the pic. I haven't attached the choke cable yet. Also had to modify my linkage, making it longer.

I also replaced the water pump. Pulled the one out of the box that Kellogg's rebuilt a while back. That stopped the water pump leak, but unfortunately, if you look closely at the inside of the radiator, there's another leak... uggghh!

Finally, I was having issues with the master cylinder that I put in from Jeggs. I opted to spend a little extra money and get the Wildwood one. I also had to put in the 10lb residual valve's in each line to accomodate the drum brakes on the Patrol. I can't wait to get this thing out of the garage and see how the brakes perform.

mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Everything looking great. The brake master cylinder and the booster specially.

Glad you sorted out the carb & manifold.
Esteban Offline

Postby mad4hws » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Thanks for all of the advise and encouragement Esteban. With the Yankees out of the W.S., I'm rooting for your Nats. They're looking pretty good right now.
mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:26 am

Last night I was going to install the center e-brake. I was waiting for a bit to ensure there was no leaks coming from the transmission. I had a spare band re-lined a while back:

Unfortunately, once I got it all set-up and all of the old connecting pieces cleaned up and ready to install, I found a very small leak coming from the tail end of the transmission. Ugghh. so, I stopped installing this as it would just get mucked up with oil. The minion has to go back to the transmission shop anyway to get a replacement flywheel installed. I'll just have them fix the leak then. Hopefully will be able to get this installed someday... soon.

Now I have a short-list of things that need to get done to make the minion missile road worthy: engine is running like a top, except for the pin hole in the radiator. It needs new springs, new shackles and a Front End alignment, otherwise the suspension is completely gone through and updated. Once that is done, it needs to get some new wheels and tires. I hope to get the minion out of the garage and on a short drive around the block this weekend to test out the brakes. Fingers Crossed. :pray:
mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:51 am

mad4hws wrote:Last night I was going to install the center e-brake. I was waiting for a bit to ensure there was no leaks coming from the transmission. I had a spare band re-lined a while back:....

I've always said that no mater where the leak is, it will end up in the e-brake. Hope you can isolate it.
Esteban Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects