1971 Nissan Patrol from Mexico

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby KyleAnschuetz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:02 pm

This is where I will be posting topics related to turning my 1971 (72?) Nissan Patrol from Mexico (the transfer case is in Spanish and the dash is in Km`s).

The current state of the Patrol is http://nissanpatrolusa.com/1972-resto-p ... asunna-nj/ as it is in those photos.

1. There are numerous holes in the body and top that need to be patched. Most of that will be straightforward as cutting out and replacing them.

2. The front cross member is swiss cheese, I need to find or fabricate a replacement. I`m looking for help

3. I`d like to source another tow hook that looks like the one I have.

4. The frame is not in great shape. I have to blast it and see where it is at under the rust, but I may need to get a section replaced. Is there a cross member that I can buy somewhere? Or does anyone have any fabrication ideas? I was thinking about Throttle Down Kustoms to see if they can build a frame for me.

5. The engine runs, and smokes. I`m not sure what route I`ll take but it may need to be rebuilt. I`m going to start diagnosing that when I get a chance. I saw that you can buy rebuilt P motors for bulldozers, or is it better to get mine rebuilt?

6. I would like to run 32`s or 33`s with lockers, after a 2" lift? Is that an option? What are the suspension options?

7. The Transmission grinds going into gear

8. Brakes are shot, not sure if it`s the lines, bleed problem, or mechanic issue.

9. The transfer case won`t shift

10. Parking break doesn`t work.

11. I`m not sure where to get parts.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvHCnwTgWisSsHr7rXiVWq_3eM_O This is my folder where I`ll be uploading pictures.

I`m going to start in August on the build when I have a free month after I wrap up my engineering degree at Penn State, and before I move out to Ohio to Start at Marathon Petroleum as a project engineer. This is going to be a long and expensive endeavor, but I`m looking forward to it!

Thanks in advance for everyone`s help!

-Kyle

-
KyleAnschuetz Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 am

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: You've come to the right place for your Patrol project.

I mentioned in your other post where you can find a replacement frame in CT.

The engine might be okay, just has stuck rings. Diagnose it before you decide to rebuild it.

Lockers are not available for the Patrol.

Transmission grinding might just be clutch hydraulics needing replaced or rebuilt.

Brakes probably need new wheel cylinders, easily found on eBay.

Transfer might just need to free up there shifters. They get stuck after lack of use.

Parking brake probably needs adjusting or relining.

Search the forum, there are different sources for various parts. Bay is very helpful.

Keep us posted on your progress, and don't hesitate to ask questions! :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny Roadkill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:25 pm

KyleAnschuetz wrote:2. The front cross member is swiss cheese, I need to find or fabricate a replacement. I`m looking for help

4. The frame is not in great shape. I have to blast it and see where it is at under the rust, but I may need to get a section replaced. Is there a cross member that I can buy somewhere? Or does anyone have any fabrication ideas? I was thinking about Throttle Down Kustoms to see if they can build a frame for me.

6. I would like to run 32`s or 33`s with lockers, after a 2" lift? Is that an option? What are the suspension options?

Hi Kyle,

2. & 4. Very common to see this crossmember rusting away, my plan is to copy what I've seen done on this and other forums - find a good one, cut it out and replace that piece completely ( but of course that's more difficult if you don't have access to a donor frame ). Alternatively you could fabricate one out of new steel, carefully replicating the relative distances between the 4 drivetrain mounts - with a bit of planning this would also help you avoid the problem of the front propshaft fouling the crossmember when the lifted front suspension is at full droop.

6. A member on this forum has advised that 2" lift makes 33" tires fit ok ( with the right wheel offset ). For springs, I believe Alcan do a set for the Patrol, or Dobinsons in Australia will have everything you need. ARB in Australia do the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger N49 shock absorbers to suit up to a 2" lift, and the SD22 steering damper. If you want more lift options and more control over spring length ( to keep your shackles pointed the right way ) you'll have to consult the manuals on this forum, work out the extra length required in the main leaves and get a springmaker to fabricate some for you.

cheers,
D
'71 P510 Wagon - the smile generator.
'74 G60H - strawberry farm patrol.
'78 G60H Ute Cab - the cherry on top.
'80 G61H - the start of things to come.
'92 Pulsar Ti - my SR20 powered daily driver.
'01 Kessner 7x4 - the pack horse.
'07 Challenge Camper - home away from home.
'09 Prado - the family fourby and her daily driver.
'14 200EXC - a chainsaw with wheels.
Johnny Roadkill Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby KyleAnschuetz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Guys!

I`m working on getting an excel of sheet of parts to order that I will post for others to follow. I`m trying to find the right carb to replace my original with. From combing through the forums I`m thinking a weber 32/36. Someone said that the kit K550 from redline works, but if someone could confirm that I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kyle
KyleAnschuetz Offline

Postby KyleAnschuetz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Hello again,

I`m trying to find these parts:

1. Hubs for my axles, preferably Warn, how do i look the ones up I need
2.Is there an axle seal set that I can use to rebuild my axles?
3. Does anyone have or know where I can get a decent front Cross member from a donor vehicle?

Thanks!
-Kyle
KyleAnschuetz Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:36 am

Sounds like you're making some progress!

The hubs you need are 10 spline. You can probably find some used Warns, but the only way to find new is the very rare eBay score or your first born child from someone who score one of those rare eBay finds.

Front or rear axles?

Cross member can only come from another frame, or have someone fabricate one. Did you check on the one in CT?

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby KyleAnschuetz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 pm

River,

Thanks for helping! Yes I did contact him and I`m most likely going to be getting his old frame but his crossmember is also shot. I may contact an ebay guy who seems to be running a patrol junk yard down in Columbia.

Can someone verify this carb will work on my P engine? https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Redline-Ca ... B00449S3QQ I thought I saw that someone posted an adapter plate number, but I can`t find it. If someone knows the correct adapter plate, I would really appreciate it!

I have been unable to find brake parts so far, does nissan carry the shoes and springs still?

Thanks for all the help! I can`t wait to get my new lady back on the streets! Okay side note, I bled most of the brakes and I have taken her on the streets, but... I`m hoping to get her looking good and reliably on the streets!

-Kyle
KyleAnschuetz Offline

Postby KyleAnschuetz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:02 am

I was looking for all the seals I will need to rebuild the Axles, both front and rear. Does RTV work for most of them? Or are there specific ones I`ll need.

Sorry for all the questions I`m getting nervous watching my Excel sheet total grow (currently at 7k$) and not being sure when it may stop...
KyleAnschuetz Offline

Postby Peter60 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:35 am

There are kits available on eBay for both the rear and front axle/bearings. See ebay.com.au Not sure if ebay.com has them but assume so.

I think if you search the forum you will find topics relating to this.

The Excel spread sheet will only stop growing when you delete it :D
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 am

KyleAnschuetz wrote:I was looking for all the seals I will need to rebuild the Axles, both front and rear. Does RTV work for most of them? Or are there specific ones I`ll need.

Sorry for all the questions I`m getting nervous watching my Excel sheet total grow (currently at 7k$) and not being sure when it may stop...

RTV will only work where there are gaskets, not seals. Like the differential cover gasket can be RTV'd, but not the axle seals.

The eBay.au kits are good, but only the front one will work for you. The Aussie G60's have a bigger rear diff than the US Patrols.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Projects