69 patrol restoration and 350 Small Block Chevy install

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby chester3 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:32 pm

Np 231 transfer case out of a Jeep and holly carb
chester3 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby chester3 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:34 pm

TC needed an adapter plate but bolted up very easy.
chester3 Offline

Postby Johnny Roadkill » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:55 am

Thanks chester3, much appreciated...

The carb looked like a Holley 2bbl, but thanks for confirming that, and the transfer case info too.

Looks fun to drive !

Cheers,
D
'71 P510 Wagon - the smile generator.
'74 G60H - strawberry farm patrol.
'78 G60H Ute Cab - the cherry on top.
'80 G61H - the start of things to come.
'92 Pulsar Ti - my SR20 powered daily driver.
'01 Kessner 7x4 - the pack horse.
'07 Challenge Camper - home away from home.
'09 Prado - the family fourby and her daily driver.
'14 200EXC - a chainsaw with wheels.
Johnny Roadkill Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby rashid » Sat May 04, 2019 11:02 am

Nice job. I also like the cage design.

What power steering gearbox did you use? I got the same kind that should be there for my G61, i.e. IPS56L from a 79 280ZX. I got the gearbox and pump. I do not know what shaft will get accommodated with space and steering wheel constraints.

Regards,
rashid Offline

Lurker
Lurker

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 pm

chester3 wrote:If you go with the 350 it fits perfect. No hacking up the fire walls. I also went with 400r tranny for the overdrive and it cruises down the highway @ 75 no problems plus parts are much cheaper. One other thing I did was put Jeep axles under YJ axles under it so I could just shift into 4wd from inside no lockouts. They are only about 3/4 wider so they look normal and again they are cheap and available. I have tons of pictures if you need anymore information.

XJ (Cherokee) right? I am thinking that could be a direction to get disc brakes.
Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Kdiv_n_tx » Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 am

This is the direction that I went with Oso, my 1970 MWB - PO had installed SBC 350 with TH350 tranny mated to a '75 Toyota LC transfer case what would not shift into 4x4. I dumped the LC TC and replaced it with a NP 231 and replaced front and rear axles with a set from ~2001 Cherokee (Dana 30 up front, Chrylser 8.25 in back). Doing this necessitated new wheels and I ended up going with super-high offset NATO steelies to get my 235/85r16 Duratracs in under the fenders. This gives me disk brakes up front, drums in rear and ability to shift into 4x4 with no locking of axles, etc.

In the early days I had all kinds of fuel delivery issues but cleared all that up by sending the fuel tank for a long soak in an acid bath. I have almost 4000 miles on it since as my fair weather daily driver (I work from home when in town, otherwise flying around to customers/meetings) and am very happy with the entire set up. Since she was not original when I bought her, the decision to go further away from stock was much easier but the end results are fantastic, to me.
Kdiv_n_tx Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm

rashid wrote:I got the same kind that should be there for my G61, i.e. IPS56L from a 79 280ZX. I got the gearbox and pump.

more info on this please! is this gearbox a bolt on for G60 patrols??
World's only Chevy LS powered G60 Patrol

...at least that I know of :D
yitzac1990 Offline

Postby Slowtech » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Kdiv_n_tx wrote:This is the direction that I went with Oso, my 1970 MWB - PO had installed SBC 350 with TH350 tranny mated to a '75 Toyota LC transfer case what would not shift into 4x4. I dumped the LC TC and replaced it with a NP 231 and replaced front and rear axles with a set from ~2001 Cherokee (Dana 30 up front, Chrylser 8.25 in back). Doing this necessitated new wheels and I ended up going with super-high offset NATO steelies to get my 235/85r16 Duratracs in under the fenders. This gives me disk brakes up front, drums in rear and ability to shift into 4x4 with no locking of axles, etc.

In the early days I had all kinds of fuel delivery issues but cleared all that up by sending the fuel tank for a long soak in an acid bath. I have almost 4000 miles on it since as my fair weather daily driver (I work from home when in town, otherwise flying around to customers/meetings) and am very happy with the entire set up. Since she was not original when I bought her, the decision to go further away from stock was much easier but the end results are fantastic, to me.

Kdiv_n_tx HI I am new around here. Recently I picked up a 69 Patrol and three days ago I stalled/ bucked the car while driving and broke my rear :( sad times indeed. I was wondering if you had any info on what was needed to make the swap in yours to the Chrylser rear? My drivetrain in my patrol is still completely stock. the thought of disc breaks is also appealing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slowtech Offline

Postby moore_rb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:28 am

Slowtech wrote: Recently I picked up a 69 Patrol and three days ago I stalled/ bucked the car while driving and broke my rear :( sad times indeed. I was wondering if you had any info on what was needed to make the swap in yours to the Chrylser rear? My drivetrain in my patrol is still completely stock. the thought of disc breaks is also appealing.

Wow... That's a bummer of a way to join the forum; but still: Welcome.

It's not often that we read about Patrol's breaking teeth on the ring gears- These diffs are usually pretty stout, and handle all the torque that these old 6's can throw at them.

Start asking around to other folks from California - there is bound to be a spare diff or two floating around out there. :think:

If not, and if it's worth a round-trip to Phx, I have a spare front axle I could tear down, and I think all the diff internals are swappable from front to rear (if memory serves me correct :think: )

That could at least get your truck back on the road and buy you some time while you decide if you are going to "go big" on your drivetrain rebuild
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Projects