L60-00511-The "El Bondo Patrol" rises from the ashes...

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Esteban » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 am

Everything looking tops! Congratulations.

Did you change the U-joints, and if so, are they original parts?
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby poinrobe » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 am

Looks great. This thread is an inspiration for me to keep forging ahead on my 1966. Cant wait to see what it looks like when it is all done!
poinrobe Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby moore_rb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Esteban wrote:Did you change the U-joints, and if so, are they original parts?

All my U-joints are restored originals. I disassembled the 20 I had, soaked everything in degreaser for a week, then took the 12 best crosses and the 48 best bearing caps and built 12 good U joints for my 3 Patrol projects. All the crosses got a coat of paint, and a new grease zerk

I had enough pieces left over to build a few spares, too... While any rusted, pitted crosses and cups, and all worn out needle bearings got tossed.

Why go through all this effort, instead of just swapping them out for a set of new 1330 U joints at $20 apiece, you ask? Simple- Modern U Joints are all crap. Even Spicer sold out and is sourcing most of theirs from China now.

The originals are way higher quality- Stronger, beefier center crosses (more metal, less hollow full of grease, and larger diameter roller bearings) if they can be rebuilt, then rebuild them.

Ditto for the driveshafts themselves- Only the 6 with the tightest splines and the least slop in the slip yokes are being used on the project trucks.
"Saving the world- One Patrol at a time..."

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:42 pm

I'm with you Rob, the new stuff is shameful.
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - For Sale (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby PetrolPatrol » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 am

moore_rb wrote:
jwgreen wrote:Here's your drawing Rob :teasing-neener: , granted you didn't provide proper dimensions :roll: and I didn't go out and measure anything :shock: so I S.W.A.G.'d it. :shifty: :shifty:

Center to center bolt spacing for the two 1/4 inch bolts on the front plate, to fit the Protex (or Willwood, or Tilton) MC: 1-3/8"
Center to center bolt spacing for the two 5/16 inch bolts on the rear plate to fit the stock firewall holes: 1-5/8" (stock Tokiko MC bolt pattern)

center pipe ID: 1-1/4"

I'd pay 5 dollars to know why Nissan decided in 1960 that the Patrol should have a unique, non-standard master cylinder bolt pattern that doesn't even jive with any other NISSAN product, let alone any other master cylinder anywhere in the known Universe... It is (to me) by far the weirdest of the many weird little design quirks inherent to these machines...

Wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to have the original holes welded and then mount the new MC than have a custom bracket made? The bracket will extend the pushrod measurements and make it look less "stock" than welding. I ask in part because I need to do the same thing and I've been thinking about it during this COVID break.
PetrolPatrol Offline

Postby moore_rb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to have the original holes welded and then mount the new MC than have a custom bracket made? The bracket will extend the pushrod measurements and make it look less "stock" than welding. I ask in part because I need to do the same thing and I've been thinking about it during this COVID break.

Actually, the spacer is needed because the Protex MC plunger is shallower than the stock Tokico MC plunger, so the MC needs to be about 1" off the firewall in order to use the stock length pushrod

Your idea could work if you shortened the pushrod, and yes it would be quicker/easier/cheaper.

For my build, I didn't want to modify the firewall or the pushrod. If someone wanted to go back to a 100% factory MC on my Patrol in the future, they could do it by simply unbolting the spacer, and then installing a stock MC and changing the brake lines back to stock

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby PetrolPatrol » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 pm

moore_rb wrote:

Actually, the spacer is needed because the Protex MC plunger is shallower than the stock Tokico MC plunger, so the MC needs to be about 1" off the firewall in order to use the stock length pushrod

Your idea could work if you shortened the pushrod, and yes it would be quicker/easier/cheaper.

For my build, I didn't want to modify the firewall or the pushrod. If someone wanted to go back to a 100% factory MC on my Patrol in the future, they could do it by simply unbolting the spacer, and then installing a stock MC and changing the brake lines back to stock

I gotcha. It also looks like you can basically do a lot of it yourself while in my case anything custom would have to be paid for. Regardless, looking at your earlier posts in here have been a big help in planning things out for me, so thanks.
PetrolPatrol Offline

Postby moore_rb » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:50 am

At some point in any car rebuild project, you inevitably end up with a collection of pieces that you forgot to paint....

20200331_170433.jpg

and, something I've been meaning to "show off" with this Patrol: Since this one is going to be convertible, and since the hood hinges aren't rust-welded together and the windshield can actually be raised and lowered, I used the hood that originally came with the old red patrol (may she rest in peace... 8-) )

Someone had riveted in a lot of aluminum strips to provide extra bracing on this hood at some point in the past; and they did a really good job, so I expect this mod to help prevent that common stress-fatigue ridge that can form across the hood from the weight of the windshield lying on it while off road. If you look closely, you can see that they even sandwiched aluminum strips onto all the original steel braces. Really nice, and really strong

I plan to re-use this great idea and brace my 65's hood in similar fashion when I put that truck back together, someday.

20200403_110304.jpg

This hood is actually in really good shape, considering it was "3rd best" in my collection; and good thing, because number 4 was pretty sketchy (I felt guilty taking $40 from PDUB when he hauled it away... I told him he was taking a risk with it :geek: ), and number 5 has already gone to the scrap yard and has been ground up into steel chips by now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:52 pm

1) Operational clutch: check.
2) Operational starter: check.
3) Brakes: Check
4) Exhaust: Check
5) Working hand parking brake: check
6) Working marker lights and turn signals: check
7) Windshield: check

Took an extra day off work today, and used the time on the Patrol project... got the windshield installed, and the front marker and tail lights, and turn signals working...

also got the front grill installed- the best "#3" grill I had was chrome, so I decided to reverse the stock look- Instead of a body color grill and a chrome bar, this one will have a chrome grill, and a blue bar...

20200406_133421.jpg

Also got the spare carrier installed:

20200406_161636.jpg

and then spent the rest of the afternoon doing more parts-sorting... sitting on the garage floor, polishing headlight bezels and sorting them looking for the best 6... (organized right to left)

This would have been more comfortable at the dining room table, but after the gauge cluster episode, the landlord has issued a moratorium on car parts in the dining room... :?

20200406_145550.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby zed » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:57 pm

Looks fantastic.
Keep the photos coming!
Keith
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:23 am

Excellent work Robert. Everything is looking tops.

The picture with the headlight bezels arranged looks like candy for a kid.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Postby Daner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:03 am

I had to go back to the beginning of this thread and see what El Bondo looked like when you bought it, and how you were able to turn it into what looks like a very nice, solid Patrol. The body looks surprisingly straight-which must have taken a lot of hard work and perseverance! I also appreciate your realistic approach for El Bondo. Only a few Patrols are worthy of a full-on restoration, but there are many out that are good candidates for preservation.
Daner Offline

Postby moore_rb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Daner wrote:I had to go back to the beginning of this thread and see what El Bondo looked like when you bought it, and how you were able to turn it into what looks like a very nice, solid Patrol. The body looks surprisingly straight-which must have taken a lot of hard work and perseverance! I also appreciate your realistic approach for El Bondo. Only a few Patrols are worthy of a full-on restoration, but there are many out that are good candidates for preservation.

Thanks...

Ya know, before I threw the car cover back over it last night, I was actually wondering to myself about how long it has been since this truck was in this condition. Probably not since the 1970's.

yeah, definitely a preservation, moreso than a restoration... but it's been a fun (and challenging) project, for sure....

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm

I'm having a dilemma about what to do about wheels and tires for this truck... :?

I have 2 sets of 16 inch one piece OEM wheels, which were always intended for my 62 and 65 builds, and this one was going to get a set of el-cheapo 15x6 steel modular wheels that I have lying around here, somewhere...

But then I started thinking: If I'm going to do non-stock wheels, then I should at least get a set of 16x6's, so that if another set of OEM wheels should pop up in the future, the tires could be swapped over without having to buy another full set of tires.

And THEN I started thinking...: If I'm going to buy a new set of wheels, I might as well buy them for the 65 hardtop, since that one is going to be more "resto-mod" style anyway...

which loops me back (full circle) to whether I should just throw one of my sets of OEM wheels onto this truck...?

When I started putting this Patrol back together, I didn't anticipate that it would end up having so many cool OEM parts going back into it.. But that is a welcome surprise, and maybe this one is becoming "correct" enough that it needs a set of original wheels...?

and If I do use OEM Patrol wheels, should I paint them blue? (US market style) or should I paint them gray or silver (international market style)...?????

(Full disclosure: I'm not a big fan of body-matched wheels, to be perfectly honest. I'm going to do it for my 62, in order to pay proper respect to originality, but my eye likes the contrast of a different wheel color)

Decisions, decisions... I welcome any and all opinions. (Even though none of them may have any bearing on my final decision :lol: )

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby pdub » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Hey Robert,

I was reading someone else's post the other day and you mentioned you would go with a painless wire kit if you had to do it again. What were the problems with the original? I'm going to be tackling wiring soon and need to make that decision.

Paul
(hood guardian)
1967 Patrol
2017 Toyota Tacoma
1968 Camaro
1968 Disneyland Autopia Car
pdub Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

PreviousNext

Return to Projects