L60-00511-The "El Bondo Patrol" rises from the ashes...

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby moore_rb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:01 am

jwgreen wrote:Rob,

Can we get a CAD drawing of this?? ;) ;)

Yeah, sure. Here's your CAD drawing:

:teasing-nutkick:
"Saving the world- One Patrol at a time..."

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby jwgreen » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:05 am

moore_rb wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Justin
jwgreen Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby moore_rb » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:07 pm

Water pump is done, ready to go back on the truck.

20200220_171618.jpg

Then, the moment I've been dreading: it was time to start pulling together the dash and guages... I thought I'd post a pic of why this project is taking me extra time. For each piece I need in order to build a working Nissan Patrol, I have been collecting every piece I have, and sorting/prioritizing them as follows:

1) All The highest quality, rare OEM, and "correct for a 62" pieces get labelled and boxed up for the 62 restoration
2) The next highest quality, and "correct for a 65" go toward the 65 Project
3) Any 3rd place piece (or 2nd place, if it's something the 65 doesn't need, or the highest quality piece that might be from a later model year, but is still a correct Patrol part) goes toward this truck.

4th and 5th place pieces either go in the "spare parts, or maybe sell it someday" box, or they go to the scrap pile if they are too far gone...

This process assures that Senor del Bondo is going to be MUCH better than he was before... But it also means a lot of time spent sorting and inspecting

20200307_105400.jpg

Guess how thrilled my wife was to see Nissan Patrols spread out across her Ethan Allen dining room table... But she did thank me for putting down the towels first :geek:

After all the sorting, and some cleaning and re-assembly, El Bondo Diablo got his gauge cluster...

20200307_182005.jpg

AND CHECK THIS OUT... I was blissfully unaware, but apparently I had enough map lights in my stacks of boxes, for all 3 of my Patrols (for some reason I thought I only had one map light.. But nope, I've got three... :happy-partydance:

20200307_105334.jpg

However- I am missing an ashtray (only got 2 of those) but I might just do the 65 minus an ashtray, since it it going to be resto-mod (or, if somebody has a spare ashtray they want to send me, I'll pay the shipping, plus some extra bucks for your time and effort... 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:21 am

So what are you going to do for lenses for those map lights, make some up? If so, I could use a few.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby jwgreen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm

moore_rb wrote:

Here's your drawing Rob :teasing-neener: , granted you didn't provide proper dimensions :roll: and I didn't go out and measure anything :shock: so I S.W.A.G.'d it. :shifty: :shifty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby moore_rb » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:06 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:So what are you going to do for lenses for those map lights, make some up? If so, I could use a few.

Well, let's recap: I didn't even know/remember that I had more than one map light.... How am I supposed to remember if I have the globes? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everything that's glass gets wrapped in bubble-wrap, then hermetically sealed in a gun safe that I lost the combination to 3 decades ago...

Actually, I know that I have at least one early style maplight globe, somewhere (the one that came with the red patrol when I bought it eleventeen years ago)

But which of those boxes is it in? How many more are in there with it?

THESE are the questions yet to be answered 8-)

But rest assured, if I have one, then I can make duplicates (especially since I found this new, super ultra cool plastic compound that completely BLOWS AWAY the stuff I used to use.)

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:21 pm

OMG...you can make plastic globes too! Why don't you take a crack at a vaccine for Chinese plague going around?

Regards from beneath my rock,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - Might be for Sale
L60Boerne Offline

Postby moore_rb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:22 pm

jwgreen wrote:Here's your drawing Rob :teasing-neener: , granted you didn't provide proper dimensions :roll: and I didn't go out and measure anything :shock: so I S.W.A.G.'d it. :shifty: :shifty:

Center to center bolt spacing for the two 1/4 inch bolts on the front plate, to fit the Protex (or Willwood, or Tilton) MC: 1-3/8"
Center to center bolt spacing for the two 5/16 inch bolts on the rear plate to fit the stock firewall holes: 1-5/8" (stock Tokiko MC bolt pattern)

center pipe ID: 1-1/4"

I'd pay 5 dollars to know why Nissan decided in 1960 that the Patrol should have a unique, non-standard master cylinder bolt pattern that doesn't even jive with any other NISSAN product, let alone any other master cylinder anywhere in the known Universe... It is (to me) by far the weirdest of the many weird little design quirks inherent to these machines...

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 pm

L60Boerne wrote:OMG...you can make plastic globes too! Why don't you take a crack at a vaccine for Chinese plague going around?

Regards from beneath my rock,
L60Boerne

Hey, if a cure for viral infection could be fabricated out of scrap steel, or molded in silicone and 2-part plastic compounds, or dialed in with a screwdriver and a timing light, I'd be all over it... :music-rockon:

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 am

moore_rb wrote:I'd pay 5 dollars to know why Nissan decided in 1960 that the Patrol should have a unique, non-standard master cylinder bolt pattern that doesn't even jive with any other NISSAN product, let alone any other master cylinder anywhere in the known Universe... It is (to me) by far the weirdest of the many weird little design quirks inherent to these machines...

Remember - the Patrol was built at the Nissan commercial vehicle factory. This is why it is so heavy duty, why it was badged 'Nissan', and why it has so many parts non-compatible with other Datsuns of the time. But I don't imagine there are many vintage parts around for Homers to compare with either.

You can PayPal me the $5. ;)
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby jwgreen » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:28 pm

:clap: :clap:

Center to center bolt spacing for the two 1/4 inch bolts on the front plate, to fit the Protex (or Willwood, or Tilton) MC: 1-3/8"
Center to center bolt spacing for the two 5/16 inch bolts on the rear plate to fit the stock firewall holes: 1-5/8" (stock Tokiko MC bolt pattern)

center pipe ID: 1-1/4"
I'll update the drawing to reflect the dimensions and try to produce some drawings.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby moore_rb » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:43 am

RiverPatrol wrote:
Remember - the Patrol was built at the Nissan commercial vehicle factory. This is why it is so heavy duty, why it was badged 'Nissan', and why it has so many parts non-compatible with other Datsuns of the time. But I don't imagine there are many vintage parts around for Homers to compare with either.

I disagree...

The only logical (and correct) answer to my question is: "Because they were stupid." :twisted:

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby jwgreen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:02 am

moore_rb wrote:
RiverPatrol wrote:

I disagree...

The only logical (and correct) answer to my question is: "Because they were stupid." :twisted:

:laughing-rofl: :laughing-rolling:
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby moore_rb » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 pm

1) Operational clutch: check.
2) Operational starter: check.
3) Brakes: Check
4) Exhaust: Check
5) Hand parking brake: check

20200317_150100.jpg

Also pulled the oil pan to inspect the bottom end (make sure the oil pickup was clear of sludge, etc)- everything looked great. I've already said- This is a great engine that is as tight as a drum- Can't wait to have it running again....

20200322_100505.jpg

OIl pan got cleaned out, and a fresh coat of paint...

20200322_100850.jpg

20200322_102956.jpg

and a new Napa 1302 oil filter

20200322_112428.jpg

and, got the driveshafts and U-joints all buttoned back up and ready to go back in the truck...

20200322_100932.jpg

20200322_100950.jpg

I'm getting close- Within the next couple weeks, I'm gonna wire and fire this thing......

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:45 am

Rob, looks great. I wish Eddy had the time to finish the mechanical on mine. Maybe this week.

L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - Might be for Sale
L60Boerne Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects