my 1967 patina project build

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:05 am

I bought a couple Patrols back in Feb 2017 with the plans of keeping the green 1967. They were in Kansas when I got them but I think they both came from Colorado. The other one is a red 1969 that last ran in 2014 and had a bad fuel pump. I have since sold the patrol after keeping a couple pieces off of it. The green 1967 was mostly complete but did not have the original dash and the engine was open with head and pistons removed. Not sure when it was taken apart, hopefully I will find something during the teardown that will point to a timeframe. I have also purchased 2 parts trucks to help in building. I bought a 1965 in Toledo that had a recently running 1967 engine. I also bought a 1963 in Nashville basically because it was there. Hopefully I have acquired enough parts to make one. My goal is to leave the body alone and only rebuild the drive train, but that was also the plan with my Land Cruiser and that turned out rather glossy!
INDEX(mostly for myself to minimize searching all pages)
Page#
1 parts trucks and trans teardown
3 trans seal and bearing part numbers
4 transfer case seal and bearing part numbers
5 front disc brake conversion ... see modifications section for more details on build
7 engine disassembly and engine kit invoice with part numbers
9 engine build with pdf of TCM PPU240 engine manual, I also post a copy of the manual in the manuals section
11 front and rear axle reinstalls
16 hubcap modification for use on Land Cruiser rims
17 oil filter and distributor differences over the years
18 land rover rear taillights and remove wood dash to start dash wiring
19 repair dash wiring and chase wires to test all circuits
20 turn signals and wiper motors
21 warn hubs and mock up rear disc brake, possible replacement heater core
22 rear disc brake build, also in the modifications area
23 make brake lines and booster mount
24 short block engine install
25 clutch comparisons and install
26 install head / adjust valves and mount oil filter adapter
27 rochester carb comparison

rdarnell Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 am

All of the patrols were stored out at my parents in the country but it is also about 30 miles away. My garage is already full with my FJ55 Land Cruiser and Porsche 914 so I needed to build someplace for the patrol. I decided to go with a carport since I have already maxed out my legal sf on the garage, maybe they will not say anything about the carport! I was able to finally get my patrol home in its own spot in Nov 2018. Now I can start taking things apart and see what is good or bad.

I finished taking the 1965 parts rig apart after taking the engine and trans out last year. The engine will be the new engine for my project. It is a 1967 engine and the number is only 89 numbers away from my current original engine.
rdarnell Offline

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 am

I took the donor engine apart and it look pretty good so far. I still need to have the tolerances measured to see what machine work needs to be done. If I have to bore the block I might try to reuse my original block.

I started by removing the transmission and transfer case. After pulling the skid plate and removing about 10 pounds of dirt/grease mix went to drain the oil and nothing! The TC was almost dry and the trans had oil but it was very low and very old. There is a skim of dried oil everywhere in the trans But the needle bearings were intact. I have a spare trans from the 1965 that did not have any needle bearings on the input shaft. I still have a trans in the 1963 parts rig but the PTO cover has been off for a while. Hopefully I can build one good trans out of the three.

Looks like the previous owners were not much on maintenance, not sure what the axles will hold for me. The oil pan skid plate has been repaired in the past from where they sheared it off. All the front driveshaft bolts had to be cut off as the ends of bolts were beat and threads damaged. All the U bolts and shocks might have to be cut as well. Looks like one of the front springs has been replaced too.
rdarnell Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks for the update! Looks like you've got a good handle on the project, and your work cut out for you. The green '67 does look like a worthy project, nice that the replacement engine is so close sequentially.

Tractors are SO handy when working on Patrols. :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 am

Unfortunately the tractor is now 30 miles away from my project! have to break out the old school tools and use the trans jack and the engine lift. But I did recently add a air assisted ram on my engine hoist.... Nice!
rdarnell Offline

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 am

looks like I might be using the trans and transfer case from the 1965 parts truck. the engine was actually a 1967 but not sure if they swapped everything from the 67 or kept the original 65 trans and TC. They are a cleaner place to start but the input shaft needle bearings were missing and the end of the shaft is galled up a little. Hopefully my input and output shafts from the 67 will clean up. Pics are from last year when I took 1965 parts patrol apart and cleaned for storage.
rdarnell Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks for posting all these photos and descriptions about your project.

RiverPatrol wrote:Thanks for the update! Looks like you've got a good handle on the project, and your work cut out for you. The green '67 does look like a worthy project, nice that the replacement engine is so close sequentially.

It certainly looks like you have everything figured out, and what parts to use from the various donors. I think that repairing the donor engine including the block will probably be better. Your original engine might have some rust in key places that will require some extra elbow grease from your part.

It's going to be great to follow your project.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby rdarnell » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Got trans parts back from being hot tanked. Carmel oil never had a chance. A little more cleanup and I can see what I have to work with. But that will have to wait as I will be taking a hard top up to Kyle in Ohio.
rdarnell Offline

Postby rdarnell » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 am

Transfer case taken apart and cleaned also. Now to inspect and see what I can reuse and what needs replaced. New bearings for transmission should be in today so I might build it this weekend. 6245
rdarnell Offline

Postby rdarnell » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Decided to do some parts comparison between my caramel coated trans and the one from the 65 parts rig. The gears in the parts rig have some rust pits on a couple of the gears and the needle bearings were non existent leaving the output shaft a little chewed up. The end of the splines are welded over from t he bad needle bearings. The only gear on my trans that's shows any damage is the first/reverse slider, and the parts trans looks good. Parts trans on left and my original is on the right. I have another trans in a 1963 parts rig but the side cover has been off for a while. 6247
rdarnell Offline

Next

Return to Projects