1969 Patrol, Take 2: Action!

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Esteban » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Excellent work! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks for taking the time to do it... and so fast! :shock:

yitzac1990 wrote:so if I wanted to leave the hazard switch out, could I still run the brake switch integrated with the turn signal switch? Based on the wiring schematic I found on this forum, I came up with this diagram specifically for the turn signal circuit (attached).

Also, if my color call-outs and numbers on the hazard switch could be double-checked and confirmed I would appreciate it. the diagram I downloaded was a bit grainy!

Patrols before 1997 didn't come with the hazard, and also some later models for other markets (I had a 74 without hazards). Basically is an add-on, so you can take it out of the system and everything will work.

Comparing your diagram with one that I had downloaded from a couple of years ago, it looks correct, colors and terminal numbers... So rather than checking the correctness of yours, I was learning in the process.

At some point in your progress these diagrams will need to me moved to the electrical section in the forum. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby yitzac1990 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:17 am

Esteban wrote:At some point in your progress these diagrams will need to me moved to the electrical section in the forum. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you very much! I actually kind of like doing wiring diagrams. The first time I ever did one was on just the last project I worked on and it made everything so much easier.

The wiring diagram that I am making for my patrol will not be an OEM diagram "remake", more like a custom diagram to suit my needs for my patrol. But I did want to make the turn signal diagram matching the OEM diagram to make sure I wire it up right. Feel free to grab the turn signal wiring above and post it wherever it needs to go.

I think I will keep the hazard switch since I have the colors/numbers correct....just hope my gf can help me with the colors since i'm color blind :lol:
World's only Chevy LS powered G60 Patrol

...at least that I know of :D
yitzac1990 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:33 am

yitzac1990 wrote:...I think I will keep the hazard switch since I have the colors/numbers correct....just hope my gf can help me with the colors since i'm color blind :lol:

I'm color blind too!! :lol: or color vision deficiency as more and more is known. Always use my wife's help with these projects. For a number of years was a good excuse for not buying her any clothes..
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby yitzac1990 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:18 am

since my patrol didnt come with a gas pedal, for whatever reason, I did some cutting and welding and put on a Nissan 240sx gas pedal. I also added in a throttle cable from a 240sx as well.

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:01 pm

so today I was able to get the engine and transfer case pressure washed. I am going to be replacing all the "easy" gaskets on the engine, and rebuilding the tcase and trans. getting closer every day. I have a stockpile of parts in my shop just waiting to go on!

I also "refurbished" the OEM control switches (headlights, wiper motor, hazard, blower motor) and they all seem to work just fine! I am only missing one knob, for the wiper motor. I found a knob on amazon that I think should work just fine, I will just need to drill a small hole for a set screw. it is a J.W. Winco GN419 series knob, part number 6NB59. Here is a link to it on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00PUDAQB0/ ... _lig_dp_it

it has an internal M6 thread, which is what the wiper motor control is, so it should thread right on.

I also got the fuel tank "converted" for EFI, with a new 3/8" fuel feed fitting, 5/16" fuel return fitting, brand new fuel level sender, and cleaned out the rust/crud as best I could. Installed the fuel pump as well, which is an external 255lph pump and will be plenty for the chevy engine.

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby MadTripper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:37 am

Nice work and I'm anxious to see the outcome!

Tripper
MadTripper Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 am

Here I have attached the wiring diagram I have made so far. completely new wiring all throughout the vehicle. In general, the line thickness represents the wire gauge. Let me know what you think!

- I know the brake switch circuit is wrong, since it will be integrated into the turn signal and hazard switches (2nd page), but I wanted to put something in there representing a brake still.
- I currently have the ECU wiring harness in a standalone configuration, therefore all it needs is a single power wire to make it all work.
- I will have to get the ECU tuned to remove VATS (vehicle anti theft system), and when I do that I can have one of the pins "turned on" as a fan controller, so I will be doing that for the fan relay signal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Here is the current status: the engine received all new gaskets, new timing kit, new oil pump, new water pump, and a general cleanup of at least most of the gunk that was all over it. and the transmission rebuild has started. I had to run out and get a bearing puller kit, so the transmission progress will continue tomorrow. Reading the instructions from Novak, I think it might actually be easier than I thought, but this is the first time I have ever rebuilt a trans, so wish me luck!!

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby Edgar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:47 am

Wishing you luck!! Looks like you are on the right track. :pray: :pray:
Edgar Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:54 am

Here is a slightly updated PDF of the wiring. I believe this is the finished wiring diagram, for my patrol at least. I forgot the ECU has a couple more power inputs needed, and the gauges will all have power together as well. The electronic speed sender will be included with the gauge wiring, so its not pictured, and again the brake switch will be switched out appropriately for the turn signal and hazard wiring seen on page 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yitzac1990 Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects