Phoenix Patrol Build Forthcoming

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby plateaucal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:46 pm

David and Rob,

You guys owe River a bottle of Absinthe (so do I for that matter).
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:45 pm

Ooooh, this is getting ugly :shock: ...now we are turning on ourselves :lol: .....Let me see..... Rob usurped River's unfailing good will. :naughty: I have saluted the wrong flag :oops: :pray: :shock: while Plateaucal is resorted to solving all our problems with the devil's drink :drool: :hand:

Once again Esteban has no hand in this dark winding road :clap: :clap:

Patrolling palms up,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:10 pm

L60Boerne wrote:Ooooh, this is getting ugly :shock: ...now we are turning on ourselves :lol: .....Let me see..... Rob usurped River's unfailing good will. :naughty: I have saluted the wrong flag :oops: :pray: :shock: while Plateaucal is resorted to solving all our problems with the devil's drink :drool: :hand:

Once again Esteban has no hand in this dark winding road :clap: :clap:

Patrolling palms up,
L60Boerne

:lol: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rollingyellow: :laughing-rollingred:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:33 am

What the hell are you people talking about...?

All I did was convert a distributor 7 years ago, and took the extra time to post a write up and some pictures... :ugeek:

:angry-extinguishflame:

RP definitely gets all the credit for the existence of the Pertronix kit(s) that I have installed in those 7 years. :bow-yellow:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:11 am

RiverPatrol wrote:Just because Rob is unaware what tail lights are correct for a '67....

Now THAT's debateable.... :D :D :D :D

I think you would agree that all 68's (and the holdover 68's that were sold as early 69's) came with the plastic 2-screw Koito marker and tail lights... right?

But I didn't say that ALL 67's should have the Koito lamps in order to be correct- I said that the Koito lamps started showing up on Patrol's in 67.

I have seen 67's (like Faux40's) wearing the earlier style Everwing glass lamps, and I have seen other 67's wearing the later style Koito lamps.

I present "Exhibit A" for the Jury's consideration: The beat up blue 67 Patrol in my signature below (2nd pic from the right) - That truck had the Koito 2 screw style lamps, and I am 100% certain that they had never been replaced, because the mounting screws on the backing plates had permanently rusted themselves into the fenders, and the lenses were old, fogged over, crumbly plastic that looked 30 years old; and the backing rubber was still there, and also looked 30 years old.

The 2 photos I still have of that truck were both taken in 1996, when the truck was 29 years old.... No one had ever replaced those lamps between 1967 and 1996.. I would stake my reputation as a certified car-nut on that... :D

67Patrolzoom.jpg

Exhibit B is all hearsay (no photos or coraborating witness testimony), but Mr. YellowDatsun (Ryan) here in Phoenix used to own another 67 Patrol (Beige hardtop) that he purchased from the original owner and had been a garage queen its whole life, and it also had the 2-screw style lamps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:24 am

Now you're going to make me have to dig stuff out to take pictures to prove you're wrong.

The one in your picture looks like someone screwed a plastic lens onto an original glass lens receptacle. I will provide pictures to show the differences.

The mounting holes in the fenders are different for the two different receptacles, I will go take pictures since I fortunately have a later style fender that accepts the plastic lens receptacle out and available. A '66 - 67 fender is different than a '68 fender in a few features. I can also pull some light assemblies to take pictures to show the differences in sizes and mounting screw locations. But that's fine, that will give me something to do this afternoon. :ugeek:

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:22 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:The one in your picture looks like someone screwed a plastic lens onto an original glass lens receptacle.

If they did, then they had done it MANY years prior to 1996, and there was no evidence of tampering when I removed everything (in order to replace them with lights that actually worked ;) )

RiverPatrol wrote:The mounting holes in the fenders are different for the two different receptacles

Agree- They are totally different- I had to re-drill the holes in El Bondo's fenders in order to fit the later style lamps.

RiverPatrol wrote: I will go take pictures since I fortunately have a later style fender that accepts the plastic lens receptacle out and available. A '66 - 67 fender is different than a '68 fender in a few features. I can also pull some light assemblies to take pictures to show the differences in sizes and mounting screw locations. But that's fine, that will give me something to do this afternoon. :ugeek:

I've seen all the same differences you have, I'm sure. The lamps I installed on the Blue Bondo machine are original NOS Koitos, and thanks to you and Plateaucal, I also have a full set of correct, original Everwings for my 62

My position on this matter matches my position on many other year to year nuances inherent to the Patrol, and that position is that component changes came into these trucks based on the timelines during which they were built, and are not fixed to specific model years.

the prime example of this are the side door handles, and model year 1966, where you will see many "early 66's" (like PFohl's Patrol, or my own 66) with the older style recessed door handles, as well as many "later 66's" (like David's, or Togo) that have the newer style door handles. Due to that, how would one determine which door handles are "correct" for a 66?

I thnk we can also agree that any Patrol sold in the US during 1967, was probably assembled either in late 1966, or early 1967

I think Nissan probably signed a new supplier agreement with Koito, and then proceeded to install the remaining Everwing lamps (and Everwing compatible fenders) that they had in inventory, at which point they swithed over and started installing the newer style fenders and lamps...

(Pure speculation, but the REASON they probably signed a new supplier agreement with Koito was that Nissan Management had grown tired of bleeding red ink from all the glass Everwing lenses that were being dropped, and shattered, on the assembly line ...)

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I simply don't think they drew a hard line on which fender (and corresponding marker lamp design) would go with which model year- We see far too many examples of the opposite behavior, where they would build with what they had, until they ran out, at which point they would start building with whatever new part superceded the one that they ran out of...

That's all I'm sayin... :romance-grouphug:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Oh boy. :roll: I'm really too old for dissertations.

moore_rb wrote:If they did, then they had done it MANY years prior to 1996...

Which is highly possibly. Look at Edgar's gas tank for example; someone put that in there long enough ago that it has the exact same rust patterns as any original tank.

moore_rb wrote:
RiverPatrol wrote:The mounting holes in the fenders are different for the two different receptacles

Agree- They are totally different- I had to re-drill the holes in El Bondo's fenders in order to fit the later style lamps.

The fenders are different from '67 to '68, and the obvious visible difference (besides the mounting hole for the marker lights) is the fender vent door; the '67 fender vent door was still flat like early years, the '68 fender vent door was stamped with a ridge like later models. Look at Edgar's '67, which is a late '67 in the Registry - it has a flat fender vent door, and glass lens markers. And the vent doors are not interchangeable between fenders, completely different design.

moore_rb wrote:My position on this matter matches my position on many other year to year nuances inherent to the Patrol, and that position is that component changes came into these trucks based on the timelines during which they were built, and are not fixed to specific model years.

Yes and no. While changes did not always precisely match model year cut offs precisely, there were never instances of mixing previous and new. Once a change was made, it continued, it never reverted back to the previous style.

moore_rb wrote:the prime example of this are the side door handles, and model year 1966, where you will see many "early 66's" (like PFohl's Patrol, or my own 66) with the older style recessed door handles, as well as many "later 66's" (like David's, or Togo) that have the newer style door handles. Due to that, how would one determine which door handles are "correct" for a 66?

Again, the door handles, and doors, latches, tub, all changed at the same time. It was early in the '66 model line, where it's already published elsewhere other changes happened, larger gas tank, split rim wheel, etc. Your '66 is doubtful whether it is actually a '66 model. It falls between krc65tan’s ’65 and rdarnell’s ’65 in the Registry, so it’s highly debatable that yours is an actual ’66 model, which would explain the door handles.

moore_rb wrote:I simply don't think they drew a hard line on which fender (and corresponding marker lamp design) would go with which model year...

Find me a single example of a '67 that has a '68 style fender on it that came that way originally and I might have to concur. The latest example is Edgar, which has a '67 fender.

I will give you this: the first time you ever saw a plastic lens may have been on a '67 Patrol, but that wasn't correct for the model year. It wasn't my intent to question your expertise, I was just throwing some snark your way. :ugeek:

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:36 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:Oh boy. :roll: I'm really too old for dissertations.

It keeps the blood flowing to the brain... :ugeek:

RiverPatrol wrote:Your '66 is doubtful whether it is actually a '66 model. It falls between krc65tan’s ’65 and rdarnell’s ’65 in the Registry, so it’s highly debatable that yours is an actual ’66 model, which would explain the door handles.

Again- Totally agree. My 66,and PFohl's were probably both assembled during the early part of 65, and were simply "sold as" 66's when it came time to stamp the firewall plate.

same goes for the "65" that I got from you- the serial numbers on that one (frame and engine) fall within the number sequence of a bunch of 63's and 64's

RiverPatrol wrote: It wasn't my intent to question your expertise, I was just throwing some snark your way.

It's all good, I wasn't offended or anything- Just having fun; and you know I yield to your observational and documentary experience/expertise FAR more often than I challenge it; and you offer very compelling technical details that are being put up against my feeble memory, and a couple old, grainy photographs of what was probably the biggest hunk of rust-bucket crap in the history of Nissan Patrols...

but as far as debates go, at least this topic is objective, and arguable in matter of technical facts; as opposed to being some nebulous debate topic like whether late 69 Billboards (oops, I mean marker lamps :? ) are, or are not, the coolest marker lamps ever used on a motor vehicle :lol:

See, if ONLY I had known to snap the vent door shut BEFORE I snapped the pic in my signature, 24 years ago... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Here, I will get you out of your faux pas of not closing the vent door before the picture. It is quite obvious from the picture that the vent door is an early model. Here are early and later, later on the right. Your picture clearly depicts the difference. There, bailed you out. :D

997062A0-AE29-4B33-B64F-18031A00C9AE.jpeg

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects