'66 Soft Top Back on the Road - But Still Much to Do

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby FJ40alex » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:34 pm

Previously posted over in the "Show Us Your Patrol" thread- the "5 year Lurker " post. Our very, very budget "build" has made decent progress for the first time in 6+ years. Goal is to get is roadworthy for soon-to-be 16 y/o who likes to work on stuff. The new driver has wrenched on this Patrol since we first acquired it. It was not running, unsure if motor turned over, transmission frozen, no wiring, and was not complete. Needless to say, it was cheap. It is now running, motor running great, transmission degunked, new generic wiring harness installed, and about 90% complete. It is tagged too! Praise be to PB Blaster.

Big items knocked out so far: original water pump and fuel pump professionally rebuilt. New generic dual master cylinder and Aussie brake cylinders installed. New brake shoes and springs installed. New brake lines made. New shocks and bushings installed. POR-15 painted on the frame and other visible parts. All fluids changed. Donor Optima battery from our FJ40 installed. New generic wiring harness installed with extra circuits for future add-ons such as stereo, heated seats, 12v charging ports, etc. Other misc. small items cleaned.

Needed items - hopefully help lies (again) in this forum:
- gas tank. Original is rusted through. Have read about a poly option on another thread. Any thoughts? It is running off a tiny lawn mower tank currently.
- seats. Originals are toast. Looking at low back, inexpensive bucket seats. Like from a vintage Jeep. Any suggestions?
-dash cluster panel. Wasn't in our box of parts at acquisition. Anyone have an extra? Gauges not required. Will go with some aftermarket gauges.
-windshield brackets. To fold the windshield, there are bottom latches on the dash, and "hooks" - I guess - on the windshield. We are missing the top hooks, such that the windshield can't stay up. Looking for the two attachment points that bolt onto the windshield frame.\
-Soft top. Long range post-lottery win. Would like to have a soft top manufactured. Any resources for that search? We have the top bows and parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FJ40alex Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Esteban » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:28 pm

Congratulations!!

Great progress and great that your son is wrenching and enjoying the Patrol.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:32 am

Congratulations! :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

I just had a gas tank cleaned and sealed and a huge dent removed from another It wasn't crazy expensive, about $300 each. I'm sure your tank could be repaired by a similar shop. I took it to a local radiator shop that also builds diesel fuel tanks.

I probably have a dash panel and the windshield clips. I'm a few weeks away from being able to get into my parts room safely though. If you haven't found them check back with me next month.

Check this thread for a possible soft top source. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6382
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby timber » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:28 pm

FJ40alex wrote:- seats. Originals are toast. Looking at low back, inexpensive bucket seats. Like from a vintage Jeep. Any suggestions?

I have the type seats you're referring to. They look nice but the problem with aftermarket seats is they will not slide back far enough for decent leg room. The divider wall immediately behind the seat blocks any kind of slide-back. I am 5'10' and I have got to do something to get more legroom, so I ordered this to mount the current seat on but have not put it in yet....https://a.co/d/emCZW2S
Tom
Modelo 1976 L60
Batalla 2200mm
Cilindrada 130 a 3956cc
timber Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Peter60 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:19 am

Getting good seats is a real pain!

The ones in the link increase the seat height by 5". You won't have much space between the steering wheel and your legs (if any).

I use small vehicle seats - Mazda 3 (not sure if that means anything in the US!). I try to find seats that sit low to the ground.

I tried VW GOLF seats but they are too high and also to big all round. They push you to forward.

Old style seats (Patrol, Land Rover etc) are the best as their seat is very thin BUT they lack comfort!

By the way Alex, great work with your patrol
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:12 am

I have found that taking the seats to a quality upholstery shop results in original seats that are plenty comfortable for the amount of time you'll spend in your Patrol. A good shop will rebuild the springs and use modern foam which will make the original seats comfy. The seat adjusters can be cleaned and lubed to work smoothly as well.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby timber » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:02 pm

Peter60 wrote: The ones in the link increase the seat height by 5". You won't have much space between the steering wheel and your legs (if any). I try to find seats that sit low to the ground.

I am going to cut the rear legs of that so I won't be elevated too much. I envision me getting frustrated and start kicking like a 5 year old on the seat back in an airplane. LOL. We'll see how it goes....
Tom
Modelo 1976 L60
Batalla 2200mm
Cilindrada 130 a 3956cc
timber Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:55 pm

I my 65 Patrol and on a 74 I used to have 30 years ago, I cut the wall behind the seats flush with the base that support the seats. Problem solved.

Of course the purists will scold me for that.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby zed » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:03 pm

Esteban wrote: Of course the purists will scold me for that.

After 50+ years of continued ownership, you certainty have earned the privilege of making your Patrol just as you want it!
Keith
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby timber » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:18 pm

Esteban wrote:I my 65 Patrol and on a 74 I used to have 30 years ago, I cut the wall behind the seats flush with the base that support the seats. Problem solved.

Of course the purists will scold me for that.

You had aftermarket seats in, right? Was that wall hard to cut? Did you cut it all the way across on both the driver's and pax's side? I like function, comfort and safety over purity.....
Tom
Modelo 1976 L60
Batalla 2200mm
Cilindrada 130 a 3956cc
timber Offline

Next

Return to Projects