How long takes remove complete canvas frame?

DIYs, FAQs, How-Tos and anything else that doesn't fit in another topic

Postby rrodriguezsal » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi. Sorry for slow reply. My Internet Access is very restricted for now.

David, Leslie is rigth. Your canvas is a combination. The size and location of side and rear Windows will be like old models. The roll system (sides and rear) will be like new models with zippers. I Think It will be great.

By the way . On my shop Rigth now are working on a new convertion Project (Frame Number 15th) and it is the first Colombian SWB with my Frame doors and others. Because the owner wants the same like you both, canvas will be done at the same time (The canvas expert must be working on it rigth now), and Your canvas will be install on this SWB before ship to USA, just to confirm all is perfect.

Thanks

Raul R
rrodriguezsal Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Raul,

Ok, Now I have another request.

Can you divide my canvas top into two pieces? I'd like a zipper connection of the front and rear half just forward of the frame cross bar just behind the seats.

I have the frame with a dorsal frame bar running above the midline of the tub so that will keep the frame rigid over the tub.

I want to be able to drive it with the front windshield down and the curved metal pieces over the doors and with the doors removed.

I'd pay extra for this, if it is not too late. We just need to loop some canvas around the cross bar and secure it with multiple snaps. It will be a configuration I will use at low speeds.

This will work. What will it cost? I am willing to pay.

Regards,
David
63 Soft Top - For Sale (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby L60Boerne » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 am

Raul,
Now, If you want to take it another step further how about this.....

Here is the goal...Use the front half of the canvas top as a bikini top.

Here is how it can be done.

The leading edge attachment will be the normal attachment to the front windshield. The trailing edge will fix to the same cross bar immediately behind the driver seats. The tension from the from windshield and curved pieces will keep it in place.

In addition to the zipper that connects the two halves the front piece needs the same canvas loops as that secures the rear half when the front windshield is down. Now the front half will not always be used as a bikini top. When it is zippered to the rear half the securing loops will hang down while not in use, which is bad. So please stitch in a retaining canvas loop from door to door to "hold up" the extra canvas when not in use...or sew in some heavy duty velcro.

I will wait longer for my canvas if you can follow these requests.

The important thing to remember for my Patrol is that Iwill almost never drive it over 25 MPH and most of the time around 10 MPH. So I am nt worried about failures at highway speeds.

Kind regards,
L60Boerne/David
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

Postby rrodriguezsal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:13 am

Hi David. Let me contact today to canvas expert. He has last Word. I think Price is not the problem. In my mind while read your message are some points

1) Zippers resistance. As you know there is a limit for lateral forcces,,
2) Water inside the car. The zipper can not seal and by sure you will have wáter inside because rain or when you wash the car
3) How easy is close a very long zipper...... Remember the canvas is not straigth in this part, It has curve follow the curve of all pipe frame
4) In my opinión is more easy remove all canvas and fold. After you do it a couple time by sure just 5 or 6 minutes to remove and the same for install

Anyway I will talk to canvas expert today in the morning and check how much He advanced during last 10 days

I will back to you son

Thanks
rrodriguezsal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 am

Good points!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Raul,

I appreciate your points, they are practical observations....but this is not a practical vehicle for me. I doubt I ever drive it in the rain. It will likely never go through a car wash either. If I need to reattach the two halves i can remove both from the vehicle and do it on the ground. then re-install in one piece.

When in Bikini mode, if the cross bar behind the seats is not rigid enough I will make several tensioning straps and run a line between the cross bar and the rear tub wall to provide stability.

However, if you say no, then no is the answer.

Kind regards,
L60Boerne/David
66 Hard Top - CCV6
L60Boerne Offline

Postby rrodriguezsal » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:52 pm

June 2020. Prepaing new video
rrodriguezsal Offline