Headliner Replacement How-To

Posts by members with instructions on how to do certain mechanical projects.

Postby Peter60 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 am

HEADLINER REPLACEMENT How To - on a CAB

EDIT/UPDATE: Step 7 gluing canvas to backing. After about two years the glue gave way. The canvas comes away, however I can push it back on and it still sticks for a while..... Maybe a better glue is required. The cab does get very hot in the Australian Summer.

I just replaced the headliner on my Cab/Ute. I didn't have the luxury of being able to turn it upside down! So this is how I went about it.

1. I removed the old headliner. It came out in 1 piece but left behind much of the foam backing.

2. Removed the foam backing with an angle grinder fitted with a wire brush. That makes a big mess but seems to get most of the foam and the glue off.

IMG_5171.JPG

3. I purchased some sound proof heat proof foam. 6mm (1/4""). The foam was sticky on one side.

4. I purchase some material (canvas) to use as the headliner.

5. I cut out the material (canvas) using the old headliner as a template.

6. I cut the foam out to fit onto the roof - it was smaller all round that the canvas. This was because the canvas gets pushed into front of the cabin lip and gets pushed down the side and back roof 'channels'. It would be impossible to push the sticky foam down into these spaces.

IMG_5170.JPG

7. Glued the canvas to the non sticky side of the foam. It takes 24 hrs to dry.

IMG_5166.JPG

8. With great difficulty and an extra pair of hands we removed the foam sticky protector and pushed the foam sticky side onto the cabin roof.

9. Cleaned up a bit. Pushed the excess canvas into the front cabin lip and the side and back channels.

10. Job done. It didn't take too long. It was a reasonable job. It did have some wrinkles but it really doesn't look as bad as it does in this image.

Making the foam smaller than the canvas (say by 25mm (1")) on the sides and back and 12mm (1/2"") on the front meant that the sticky foam was just manageable.

Next time I would cut the foam first and do some trial runs to make sure it fitted easily. Then sitck the canvas to the foam and lastly cut the canvas to size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 am

Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good tips as well.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!