The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread.

DIYs, FAQs and anything else that doesn't fit in another topic

Postby Mattbob53 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 pm

So I finally got around to switching the title to my name and getting the registration for my patrol. I didn't notice until today that the make on the title was Datsun and not Nissan. From what I have read Nissan imported them under Datsun because it was easier. Wondering if it's the same on others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mattbob53 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Yes, it's always been this way. Nissan used the Datsun name for exports but it was always the same company. But the Patrol was made at the Nissan commercial vehicle factory, not the Datsun factory which is why it is badged as a Nissan instead of a Datsun. Back in the 60's the only company name available to use on titles and registrations was Datsun.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mattbob53 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks River. That's what I thought, had to about strangle the DMV foks to get it done. They wanted me to bring it down for an inspection.

Mattbob53 Offline

Postby Peter60 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:50 am

How do you remove the 'hinges' on the windscreen/windshield air vents?

When you push the air vent open there are two springs that are easily removed. The hinge is fixed to the vent whilst the other end is tucked up inside the windscreen. How do I remove the tucked up part and thus remove the vent?
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

Postby Mattbob53 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 pm

So I'm getting ready to pull my motor and tranny in one peace. Is this really the pick points? Image

I'm pretty sure they are but there like nothing I have seen

Mattbob53 Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 am

Yes, those are the lifting points.

Try to hook up the hoist closer to the back, since the weight of the tranny combo will unbalance the load a lot. I see that the front panel is out, so things should go out easy.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mattmctree@gmail.com » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm tearing down a patrol to get parts. Is it ok to store the engine diffs and transmission with the oil drained out or should I leave it in to preve corrosion
mattmctree@gmail.com Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

mattmctree@gmail.com wrote:I'm tearing down a patrol to get parts. Is it ok to store the engine diffs and transmission with the oil drained out or should I leave it in to preve corrosion

I'll vote to leave the oil inside, and even filling a little bit more. Some parts of the engine will end up exposed no matter what, like the camshaft and followers. Depending on how you setup the transmission and diffs, you can overfill them. Get some cheap dyno oil for it.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby SBP78g60 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 am

hey couple of quick, small, stupid questions here, 1, did all 60s come out with the latch and stops on the bonnet for the windscreen when it folds down? i dont have them and it doesnt look like there ever was anything on thr bonnet nor the catch on the windscreen. dosnt look like any holes have been patched up either
2. what seating arrangements did a mwb come out with? compliance plate says lisenced for 3. but its hard to find my answers without just asking as iv seen some have a bench seat some have rears..

thankyou, shayn
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Esteban » Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 am

SBP78g60 wrote:hey couple of quick, small, stupid questions here, 1, did all 60s come out with the latch and stops on the bonnet for the windscreen when it folds down? i dont have them and it doesnt look like there ever was anything on thr bonnet nor the catch on the windscreen. dosnt look like any holes have been patched up either
2. what seating arrangements did a mwb come out with? compliance plate says lisenced for 3. but its hard to find my answers without just asking as iv seen some have a bench seat some have rears..

thankyou, shayn

1. Yours being a 78 softop should have come with the latch and stops. Even hardtops used to come with them, but I'm not sure about late models of hardtops (77 and up).

2. Seating arrangement: They all came with 2 bench seats facing each other, for 6 additional passengers. Patrols sent to Australia might differ here due to the compliance that you mention. Probably member Johnny Roadkill can answer these questions better.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech