Brakes, Master cylinder, wheel cylinder, and shoes. I need s

DIYs, FAQs and anything else that doesn't fit in another topic

Postby IdahoPatrol60 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:47 pm

I recently scored a very clean 1967 Nissan Patrol North American spec. I got the motor running very well and the only thing keeping me from taking it for a drive is the lack of brakes. I am in need of a Master cylinder, wheel cylinder and a set of shoes all the way around. I could probably get by without the shoes but I would like to rebuild the brake system. Does anyone have a Parts Source for these I see a lot of parts on eBay but I'm not sure about compatibility with my specific gear and model. Any help would be much appreciated.
IdahoPatrol60 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby L60Boerne » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:19 pm

Idaho,
There are many brake experts here. I am not one. However, I do know the drums can be re-machined. The lines are available. Each wheel has a wheel cylinder that can occasionally be found from several sources, sometimes here, sometimes Australia. There are no replacement OEM master brake cylinders but this forum can direct you to a modern replacement with a little modification. I have an used OEM on my shelf but for the same money you can get a modern dual cylinder model that is much safer.

You have a great start to a a wonderful project.

Rolling and patrolling,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:00 am

Mountains of threads on brakes and options here. My preference (but mind you I am a purist) is to rebuild the existing brake system. I've done it a few times and with everything working correctly and adjusted right the brakes are very reliable. They do require adjusting on occasion to keep them that way as the shoes wear.

Here is the complete set of front and rear wheel cylinders on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331677862533 . The same seller has shoes, these are rear shoes but if you contact them you can probably get front shoes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331679339711 .

You can search this forum for master cylinder solutions. One option is to rebuild your existing master cylinder. Another option is to go with a dual cylinder Wilwood, several threads on that. Here's one: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4239&p=52076&hilit=wilwood#p52076

Another option is to modify and go with disc brakes which would include replacing the master cylinder, thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6217&start=10
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Tech