Gas Cap

Original and compatible parts

Postby IrishPatrol » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:33 am

I think I've talked to this guy befor. Don't think he actually has all the parts. Just a list and prices. I could be wrong but when I first got my Patrol I had them send me a list of parts But they stated they may or may not actually have the parts. Will look back through my emails and see if I can find it.... hope i'm Wrong.
IrishPatrol Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby moore_rb » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:54 pm

sleepyzzz wrote: and yes the caps will work without the key if the lock is retracted. the key throws out a flat blade that keeps the cap from screwing off. so if the blade is sticking out, it won't let you screw the cap in.

Yeah- my red patrol has an original locking cap and one day I shoved the key in there and it locked, and then unlocked just fine.

Then a few weeks later I needed to add some gas and I shoved the key in and nothing. It wouldn't budge - wigggling, jiggling, WD-40 I tried everything I could to get the darn thing to unlock. Finally, I carefully pried it off, and went ahead and ground off the locking tab.

Now I have an orignal LOOKING, but non-locking gas cap. :twisted:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby G60michael » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:18 pm

moore_rb wrote:Then a few weeks later I needed to add some gas and I shoved the key in and nothing. It wouldn't budge - wigggling, jiggling, WD-40 I tried everything I could to get the darn thing to unlock. Finally, I carefully pried it off, and went ahead and ground off the locking tab.

Never had that problem :think: was the tabs bent or something, when i got my 66 it handnt been filled up in the tank for years and ran just a jerry can, Gas cap was locked, but it unlocked first go, and hasnt played up, i have opened it several times since :think:
G60michael Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RMP&O » Sat May 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Good info with that list of parts in pdf form but I would be wary. They don't seem to understand the G60 didn't come with a P40 but rather the P engine. They also are listing timing chain for the P40 which is way wrong. P engine does not have a chain it has gears, P40 has a chain though. P engine is 1960-1979. P40 is 1980-onward. You would think a supplier of parts would know this and if you bought the timing chain stuff, had it sent all the way over here that would be a big waste of money.

Absolutely dislike the stock gas caps. They are cool looking and I like original but I opened up a box the other day, NOS cap in it that was not cheap at all and the key cover fell right off. Disassemble the cap to find it has hardly any flaring on the pin that is supposed to hold the cover on. After 50yrs, sure they wear out and need help but an NOS cap that cost mucho $$$, big disappointment. Now I have to drill and tap it, not looking forward to that since it is so darn small. 6-32 tap is even to big, going to have to try and order something smaller.

Great info here
http://www.datsunparts.com/2148

But NOS cap I have has a leather sealing seal not cork or rubber. There is a place that still sells NOS caps, I believe they are for the roadster but they are very expensive and you may end up dealing with what I got to deal with after shelling out big bucks for a new cap.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Previous

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts