Reproduction (replica) lenses for the Patrol...

Original and compatible parts

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun May 31, 2015 2:00 pm

Another excellent 'How to'. Thanks! :clap:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby miller » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:22 am

Fantastic :clap:
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby moore_rb » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:30 pm

I have updated the first post in this thread with all pricing and ordering information, for each lense that I have successfully made test-copies of...

http://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3638

I'll be updating the tables again soon, with Australian package deals that include the additional white front lense... Miller is going to send me one of his clear park lamp lenses to take a copy of :handgestures-thumbup:
"Saving the world- One Patrol at a time..."

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby offroadkid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:28 am

Could you also be able to reproduce the knobs (Lights, Choke, Throttle, etc.) using this or a similar method? And if the answer is yes, would you?!! Using a different material of course...
1966 Patrol
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Collector Edition-built for expedition wheeling
"Some dream in color, I dream in 4 wheel drive"

Instagram: we_lexplore
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/offroadkid
offroadkid Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby moore_rb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:26 am

offroadkid wrote:Could you also be able to reproduce the knobs (Lights, Choke, Throttle, etc.) using this or a similar method? And if the answer is yes, would you?!! Using a different material of course...

The original dash knobs were made out of phenolic plastic (commercially called Bakelite) - This plastic is way too complicated for small-potato hobbiests to work with. It must be injection molded into metal molds, under pressure, at very specific temps, etc...

However, I am doing some research to see if there might be an epoxy product out there that might produce an acceptable replica, in terms of strength and durability (the bakelite knobs are very dense and tough, which it why it was so popular). This effort is going to take a lot of trial and error (which translates into time.... :ugeek: )

If I do make any progress worth sharing with others, I'll start another thread on that.

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:37 am

moore_rb wrote:However, I am doing some research to see if there might be an epoxy product out there that might produce an acceptable replica, in terms of strength and durability (the bakelite knobs are very dense and tough, which it why it was so popular). This effort is going to take a lot of trial and error (which translates into time.... :ugeek: )

Carbon fiber would fit right in with the Patrol's racing heritage ;-)
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby offroadkid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:19 am

Yeah I know Bakelite! I've scrubbed the internet looking for anyone who makes reproduction Bakelite knobs. The only thing I found was a guy on the Land Cruiser forum I belong to (ih8mud) who was making reproduction knobs for the FJ40's but he has stopped making them.

You have plenty on your plate now, no need to focus on something else just yet!!!
1966 Patrol
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Collector Edition-built for expedition wheeling
"Some dream in color, I dream in 4 wheel drive"

Instagram: we_lexplore
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/offroadkid
offroadkid Offline

Postby moore_rb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:28 am

I'll keep researching, and testing on the knobs, as time allows... Carbon fiber won't be an option :twisted: (talk about tough to work with...yikes)

One other thing about the switch knobs is that they were originally cast in place around a brass knurled thread that screwed onto the shaft of the switch; so that would add complexity.

I'll keep tinkering with it, but patience will be necessary...

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:04 am

I have added the white, round Koito park-lamp lense for International Patrols to the list.

Thanks to Miller for sending me the original to take a copy from !

CAM00974.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RMP&O » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:44 pm

moore_rb wrote:I'll keep researching, and testing on the knobs, as time allows... Carbon fiber won't be an option :twisted: (talk about tough to work with...yikes)

One other thing about the switch knobs is that they were originally cast in place around a brass knurled thread that screwed onto the shaft of the switch; so that would add complexity.

I'll keep tinkering with it, but patience will be necessary...

I will buy lot's of knobs. I have sample sof all of them to build off of but even the best ones have hairline cracks.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby plateaucal » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:14 pm

I have lots of knobs, including my broken hazard flasher knob which may get the old JB weld treatment. Worked great to glue new posts onto my Patrol emblems. But if a pattern is needed, they all look pretty nice.
plateaucal Offline

Postby plateaucal » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:18 pm

And as an aside. If you ever get a chance, watch the movie about the heirs of the Bakelite Company. Weird!! Can't remember the name though.
plateaucal Offline

Postby miller » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:00 am

moore_rb wrote:I have added the white, round Koito park-lamp lense for International Patrols to the list.

Thanks to Miller for sending me the original to take a copy from !

Glad to help and thank YOU for making them for me. They look like they turned out nicely.
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

Postby faux40 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:07 pm

I received a set in the mail a few days ago... They're perfect five-footers! (to translate, they are nearly indistinguishable from the originals at a distance of five feet). Rob, you are a man of many obscure and interesting talents! I mean, I may tamper with speedos, but re-creating original molded glass items in fishing lure materials takes it to a whole new level and is awesome!

The original lens -- It's a slightly darker amber. Notice the rough surface on the inside at the outer diameter of the lens? It's roughed up as to difuse the light around the perimeter
2015-06-19-10-23-16 - Version 2 (1).jpg

The Robcreation -- It's a bit rougher to the touch, much lighter in weight but what really got me was the detail that the mold captured -- The rough surface inside the lens is the same! Even the detail in the letters are quite sharp.
2015-06-19-10-23-16 - Version 2.jpg

The biggest difference between the Robcreation and the original lens? I'll cry much less if I break a replacement! (I will still cry... at least a little! :cry: ). At five feet, the only thing that would tell me original from Robcreation is the color.

Thanks Rob! We really appreciate your odd hobbies! Can't wait to install the new lenses!

John & Family
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Put a pair of these puppies on my Patrol. Thank you Robert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was missing the trim ring so I got some chrome door edge trim from Autozone and ringed the light base with it. Screwed the new lens on and it looks awesome. I did crimp a little piece of brass at the joint to hold the chrome edging on.
plateaucal Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts