parts, where and how to get them

Original and compatible parts

Postby RMP&O » Thu May 21, 2015 11:33 pm

I thought I would share one of my main sources for OEM Nissan parts.

First you need a couple parts books, this is the best one to get for the 60-series Patrol as it has the most up-to-date part numbers.

Now that book is not going to get you unobtainium parts like glass tail lights or 69 turn signal lights. What it does get you though is what is still OEM and available from Nissan. Not really going to get any NOS parts from Nissan these days. They dumped all their NOS stock years ago. Nissan still makes some stuff though and so the part numbers in the above book is what you need. The mico-finche from 1980 also is good and works but then you need a micro-finche viewer.

I use this book for P40 engine parts.

Obviously I also use that book for any parts I want or need for the 160-series Patrol.

You can buy the parts books on Ebay from time to time, keep an eye out often! Vary your searches on Ebay, knowing how to search online for Patrol parts is key to finding the parts.

Once you have the books and the good part numbers go here,
http://www.amayama.com/

Punch in part numbers and see what comes up. Some stuff that comes up you will not get but until you place the order you never know. Amayama takes your order, submits the order to their suppliers and then gets back to you on what is available before they charge you any money. Amayama supplies OEM parts from Japan and also UAE. Lastly, if a part comes up and you try to order it but it comes back not available. Try to order it again in a month or two. OEM parts are parts still in production so they often will come back available as new stock is made.

Good luck and cheers!
RMP&O Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby moore_rb » Thu May 21, 2015 11:56 pm

This is very cool info... I have done 2 Amayama parts searches so far- one came back with no results, but the other one was a hit.

Some of the real value that a site like this can bring is when you are looking for really obscure parts, for times like when you first bring your Patrol home, and when you go to do the first oil change, and you find out the spring and washer are gone from the oil filter housing - Amayama seems to be a good source for parts like that (especially parts that are cross-compatible with forklift parts, because it seems like just about any repair part for a P40 forklift is still available out there...
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RMP&O » Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 am

I don't find many obscure parts on Amayama. Just OEM stuff still in production. A few things though, like later style high beam floor switch is available and I have gotten late 70's/LG61 inner door handles in OEM form from Japan. But for example, OEM clutches have dried up on Ebay. Yet, if you search Amayama, the disc at least still comes up. I tried to order not long ago, it came back not available. But I was told to try and order it again in a month as it will likely come back in. Same for OEM rear wheel cylinders, bought them last year, now they are not available but I am betting in a few months they are again. That is the thing, OEM parts are still being made. When they get made, they are available, when the stock is gone, they are not available until another batch is made.

Any ways, it is pretty much all mechanical parts and really only useful for people seeking Nissan parts. If you don't care what kind of parts are on your truck it is not very useful. However, I have found many of the OEM stock that shows up on Ebay is way over priced. Obviously because the seller is under the assumption the part is NLA and unobtainium. So when something shows up on Ebay in OEM form and it is $100, you can get it directly from Nissan Japan for say $45. Like a vendor out there that sells OEM rear wheel cylinders, he has them priced at $200 each but you can get them from Japan for about $60 each!! ;)

Many ways around a lot of this. For example, matching up bearings or seals at your local auto parts store or bearing supply house. However, I always have and always will go for and desire OEM.NOS parts before anything else. So far, it has been the exact same for my clients. And in my opinion, certain things like head gasket or rear main seal, simply should not be skimped on and if you can use OEM/NOS, you should. Most of your P40 stuff available in N. America is cheap parts made in Twain, China and India. Full motor rebuilds can be expensive and I personally would rather not stuff those kind of parts in a new engine.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri May 22, 2015 9:22 am

What are some examples of the parts you can get. You've posted pics of an ignition coil, diff drain plugs, a box that had among other things inner shift boots, some seals and gaskets. What about stuff for the water protect distributor, like caps, rotor points? Water pump? E-brake and transfer shifter boots? Fuel pump?
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Fri May 22, 2015 11:24 am

I tried to search Amayama for the WP cap and rotor part numbers from one of the later parts manuals (I think it was the 69/69 parts manual), and they came back several days later and said they weren't available.

But like Ian suggests - perhaps the only trick is to try again a few weeks later :?:

I figure (assume :? ) that the parts still being OEM'd are going to be stuff that is for later year, non US market Patrols, and if the part happens to be backward compatible to an early 60's US market Patrol, then it's a score.
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RMP&O » Fri May 22, 2015 12:18 pm

moore_rb wrote:
I figure (assume :? ) that the parts still being OEM'd are going to be stuff that is for later year, non US market Patrols, and if the part happens to be backward compatible to an early 60's US market Patrol, then it's a score.

That is correct. Some stuff is even used in other models of Nissan's. Sometimes even with the latest parts number they will come back and give you an even more up to date part number. Like the drain plugs for example.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Postby RMP&O » Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:What are some examples of the parts you can get. You've posted pics of an ignition coil, diff drain plugs, a box that had among other things inner shift boots, some seals and gaskets. What about stuff for the water protect distributor, like caps, rotor points? Water pump? E-brake and transfer shifter boots? Fuel pump?

You can try using older parts books, some of the numbers in them will work but you will get more parts coming up if you use the newer parts books with the latest numbers.

Nothing is available for the W/P dizzy. While it was a common item on N. American spec Patrols it is extremely rare in other countries. I have only ever heard of one in Aus. for example and it was NOS so who knows where it really came from.

Yes you can get a fuel pump, P40 in OEM form. I posted a picture of it in another thread. it is not a perfect match to the fuel pump put on say a 1965 Patrol but it is OEM and will work.

No on e-brake & t-case and trans shifter boots. Only the trans inner boot is available.

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts