New Clutch Master Cylinder, caution: Explicit photos

Original and compatible parts

Postby plateaucal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Not sure if this has been covered but; The following photo may not be appropriate for a purist, but here is the new clutch master cylinder i installed on my 69 Patrol. The install and test drive took about 1.5 hours. This is a part number CM1102 for an old Datsun truck that I got at O'Reilly's for $30. It has the same stroke and piston diameter as the original....but yah it looks different. Very similar to the Protex from Australia but cheaper and a day for delivery. I removed the original push rod and installed it on the CM1102 (as the CM1102 pushrod was too long and the holes were too small, minor deal if you have a drill bit, a threading die and want an adjustable hydraulic clutch.) The photo shows the old push rod installed on the new master. I Deleted the spacers (you may need them depending on clutch status). Installed, bled, test drove....perfect. Ended up with about 2" free play which I believe is within specs. It would have been interesting to see if the guts from the new cylinder would have worked on the old one after a little cleanup. I would bet they would (for you purists...talking to you Rob).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Excellent. Congratulations on the install. Looks that everything went as you planned.

The "explicit photos" caught my attention immediately. Your solution is great and the look will be very neat.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 am

plateaucal wrote: It would have been interesting to see if the guts from the new cylinder would have worked on the old one after a little cleanup. I would bet they would (for you purists...talking to you Rob).

You talkin to me...? You talkin to ME....? (que the DeNiro "Taxi Driver" scene with the mirror)

You can't be talkin to me: All my Patrols have manual clutches... 8-)

But I think it's a great alternative- If you had the time (and the ambition) to hone out and re-use your original housing, then that's a bonus, but any 100% bolt-on solution works in my book :handgestures-thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am

Here is an installed photo. I do not throw away old patrol parts and one day I will rebuild the original for a spare. It was that thread about hydraulic clutches failing at inopportune times (can't remember who said that, same person that loves mechanical clutch linkage) that prompted me to put a new one on. This one is connected to a Protex slave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plateaucal Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:20 am

An additional comment I forgot. Being the cylinder aluminum, it's very difficult to polish and results won't last too long. What Plateucal has done is the best solution, other than finding the original master cylinder at a reasonable price. Exchanging the guts won't do for me.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby curlrider11 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks for this thread amigo. In process of installing one myself. Your advise about using the old push-rod was spot on. An easy swap and nearly no hassle. Hopefully it goes back together smoothly. I can't afford a new slave right now but it's not leaking so I'm keeping it till it does. The master cylinder would loose it's entire reservoir through the Piston every time I would go out.
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby tkbigsky » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm

How do you remove and replace the original push rod? Working on my '69 right now and should have the new one any day.
Thank you,
TK
tkbigsky Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Flaggoni » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:29 pm

There is a wire-clip retainer in a groove in the casting. The top photo shows the clip near the old casting.
If you slightly depress the pushrod, the clip can be easily picked from the groove.
Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

Postby tkbigsky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Thank you!
tkbigsky Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Next

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts