Patrol u-joint / universal joint source turns into project

Original and compatible parts

Postby curlrider11 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey guys, does anybody have a source for compatible U joints for a 69 Patrol? I saw a forum thread a little while ago about U joints for what look like a 67 and I bought those but they are a tad too thick in the shafts themselves and when trying to install and won't go in without grinding. I really don't want to do that... The shaft thickness on these U joints are thicker than the stock U-joints. I checked the compatible parts list but I haven't seen anything on U joints for a 69. Anyone have wisdom on that or a source?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:22 pm

The U-joints are all the same through the years.

I have this list compiled, although I've never changed one.

UNIVERSAL JOINTS
The following were installed years ago by a member:

Neapco # 2-0053 HD

Don't know if this link works:
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/produ ... -0053.html
http://www.4xshaft.com/Super-Flex.html

The following supposedly allow more articulation:

NEA-2-0053

--------------------------------------
Also this one:
Neapco # 2-0053 HD at AdvanceAutoParts w/ part # 2-0053
With the following specs:
Bearing Cap Diameter 1: 1.188"
Bearing Cap Diameter 2: 1.188"
Bearing Strap Kit: 1-0019 w/ 0.75 Bolt Length or 1-0020 w/ 1.50 Bolt
Bearing Type: Round-OSR
Lock-Up Dimension 1: 3.622"
Lock-Up Dimension 2: 3.622"
Lube Fitting: Yes
Manufacturer/Series: Spicer 1350
Precision 331 at O'Reilly, part # 331
Spicer 1350
Specs:
3.625" snap ring span,
1.188" cap diameter.
Outside snap ring.
Please note the slight difference between the Spicer and the Neapco: 3.625" vs 3.622"
Napa
PART # NPJ P331
www.napaonline.com/en/p/NPJP331
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby curlrider11 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Hey Esteban, I bought those neapco ones that you had listed 2-0053 hd and I can't get them into the driveshaft carrier that mounts to the e-brake drum, can't squeeze them through to tap the bearing caps on. Am I missing something? Do guys grind down the edges of the u joint carrier to get clearance? See photo.... Won't slip down further.... Stumped. Maybe I should try the Napa ones and see if the diameter of the inner shafts are narrower and might fit better.
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 pm

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Can't be of much help since I've never change U-joints ia a Patrol.

Can you measure the original caps? At least we'll have some starting point. I guess you're now solving this issue for all of us.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby curlrider11 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:02 am

Since I haven't seen any other threads on here that deal with u-joint replacements with too much depth maybe this can be a help to some others as I experiment and try to find a suitable U-joint substitute. I'll try to post as many photos along the process as I can.

I started out by working on an emergency brake band replacement and decided to tackle U-joints since they were 50 years old and look like they haven't been serviced since day one. I began by removing the rear drive shaft/propeller that connects the rear axle and transmission. Then I gave the yoke a good clean up and Prime and paint (while taping off the inner cylinders where the U-joint caps are pressed so as to not mess with those dimensions by adding layers of paint).

After removing the forward U-joint and ordering a neapco # 2-0053 hd replacement I quickly found out that the spider would not fit into the yoke that connects to the transmission/e-brake drum. After wrestling with it for for 5 minutes I concluded that the only way it could possibly fit would be to grind either the yoke itself or the body of the U-joints which isnt an option.
old u joint fits.jpg

The new neapco U-joint doesn't clear the forward yoke but does clear the propeller side...
doesnt fit.jpg

fits on propeller driveshaft.jpg

The width of the spider for both the stock U-joint and Neapco U-joints are pretty close from end to end.
old shaft size.jpg

new shaft length.jpg

It seems like the width/diameterof the cylinder shafts on the spider is the issue.
narrower width shaft.jpg

width is the problem.jpg

The neapco U-joint is also slightly taller with the caps on.
length comparison.jpg

However, the cap bearing widths are the same
cap width.jpg

I'm going to order the other suggested U joint from Napa and see if the spider cylinder diameter matches the stock diameter more closely. Napa # NPJ P331. Stay tuned. If that works I'll post some photos of U-joint installation into the propeller shaft yoke.

After a little more research and more trips to the parts stores I tried the Napa p331 u joint and brought the yoke into the store to see if it would slide on. It also would not clear the flanges of the yoke. The part number was different (u331). Next I'm on to oreilly to try theirs. Will keep you guys updated
Screenshot_20180820-082616-540x960.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
curlrider11 Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 am

Great write up! Thanks for tackling this! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks for doing all this. Definitely needs to end up as a sticky.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Esteban » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:02 pm

curlrider11 wrote:After removing the forward U-joint and ordering a neapco # 2-0053 hd replacement I quickly found out that the spider would not fit into the yoke that connects to the transmission/e-brake drum. After wrestling with it for for 5 minutes I concluded that the only way it could possibly fit would be to grind either the yoke itself or the body of the U-joints which isnt an option.

Found some additional notes by the guy that installed the Neapco 2-0053 HD u-joints. (All this was done in a now defunct Patrol site)

"You have to remove 3mm of material approx from them for the u-joints to fit just right."

Unfortunately he never posted pictures of what portion he ground. Your observations regarding it are spot on.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby curlrider11 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Holy smokes that seems quite unpleasant to do to a yoke just to get it to fit. Thanks for the note on that Esteban. That seems like it was tricky to hunt down. I'm going to try to find one or two more u joints that possibly have a slightly smaller spider dimension to see if one would possibly work. I can't tell you how badly I don't want to grind my yoke of material. Unless he ground the U-joint itself. either way still seems like a painful solution. Will keep you updated...
curlrider11 Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:03 pm

I ended up today at the following page from Dana:

http://www2.dana.com/Expert/wc.dll?hvts ... c~2~13~06~

There you can input the bearing cup diameter and the snap ring out to out dimensions and you get a number of different choices. Unfortunately, you don't get the diameter of the cross only to match what you measured on the old ones. Will keep looking.

This link also downloads the whole Neapco catalog:

https://www.neapcocomponents.com/images ... 901018.pdf
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Next

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts