Patrol u-joint / universal joint source turns into project

Original and compatible parts

Postby nizmut » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 pm

The precision looks like it will work. I ran into problems with napa, and spicer. The small cross on the precision looks like it will go. I had 2 ujoints, same box, same number and one had a small cross and worked. The other, not so much.
Robin
nizmut Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby curlrider11 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Good to know on the precision, I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and look at the dimensions to see if they're similar to the stock. Will post results as well. Would be nice to have a source for replacement! Thx!
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

Postby curlrider11 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 pm

I just confirmed that the precision 331 U-joint has the same measurements as the neapco, I picked it up from Oreilly, the diameter of 0.774 of the shaft (the length was the same as well) and won't fit in my yoke. Threw some calipers on it at the auto parts store. Still looking for one with a narrower shaft diameter. Could there be a few different makes of precision 331?
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

Postby rdarnell » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am

I just started playing with my drive shafts this weekend and took them apart to clean and paint. The universals cleaned up nicely and look to be in very good condition so I will reuse them for now. I posted on my Facebook page and Ian (rmp&o) commented that he used Spicer universals in the past with a little modification, but he could not fully recall what he did to them. I think he might have been using part# 15178X Spicer.
I did some additional searching yesterday and looked on Amayama.com site that I got the pinion seals from. The part number 37125-85460 comes up as a UD part just like the pinion seals. It does not offer and description though and shows cost of $98 from Japan.
I did some additional cross reference and found a few other Nissan Part number that might have a relationship, the only one that got a hit on Amayama was 37126-7S026. This showed a cross reference for Febest part ASN-A60R.
When I did a search earlier today with just the original part number 37125-85460 an Amazon listing popped up for the Febest ASN-A60R for $16, so I decided to thrown a few dollars down on this search also... now we wait!6283

On a side note I think I might have found one of the only metric things. the grease zerk is 10mm I think!
rdarnell Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:45 pm

rdarnell wrote:I just started playing with my drive shafts this weekend and took them apart to clean and paint. The universals cleaned up nicely and look to be in very good condition so I will reuse them for now. I posted on my Facebook page and Ian (rmp&o) commented that he used Spicer universals in the past with a little modification, but he could not fully recall what he did to them. I think he might have been using part# 15178X Spicer.
I did some additional searching yesterday and looked on Amayama.com site that I got the pinion seals from. The part number 37125-85460 comes up as a UD part just like the pinion seals. It does not offer and description though and shows cost of $98 from Japan.
I did some additional cross reference and found a few other Nissan Part number that might have a relationship, the only one that got a hit on Amayama was 37126-7S026. This showed a cross reference for Febest part ASN-A60R.
When I did a search earlier today with just the original part number 37125-85460 an Amazon listing popped up for the Febest ASN-A60R for $16, so I decided to thrown a few dollars down on this search also... now we wait!..

Member curlrider11 posted very good pictures at the beginning of this thread. In one you could see that the cross from one that he bought can't clear the yoke. Ian (rmp&o) grinded the yoke a little bit so the new cross will clear and fit inside. I will do it on mine, since I'm not a hard core 4WD, but others might feel uneasy doing that mod.

I hope the Febest ASN-A60R works. With member curlrider we went through a number of options with all having the same dimensions for the cross. Paying $98 for each at Amayama looks way too expensive. It's to the point of ordering one and see how it goes.

What you've done with yours is perfect. A good cleaning and inspection, and good to go. My Patrol has over 350k miles and I've never changed a single U-joint. I have stressed this point to guys not familiar with the Patrol. They're better because they were designed better, and the U-joints is a good point. On a normal load condition of the vehicle, the engine and the rear arbor are aligned, so the U-joints work just a little compared with other trucks.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Esteban » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:37 am

Digging some info that I had saved, found this from how Ian (rmp&o) modified the U-joints:

"I got new u-joint recently so went to work on rebuilding the drivelines. The u-joint is a
Spicer, will post info on that later. When I bought it we put the digital calipers on the old
ones and matched it up. Seemed to be a perfect match but once I went to install them ran
into a problem. Basically they were 3mm to wide. So I removed 3mm from them between the
stud on the actual u-joint and the caps."

I don't like this solution a bit, but wanted to post to clarify my previous comment.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby rdarnell » Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 pm

I spoke with Ian on Facebook last week and he told me about the modifications. I got the Febest universal in and it has same problems as the others. It will swing down into the outer yoke but it will not clear the inner yokes. 630563066307
You could possibly grind a bevel on the inner surface of the universal to allow clearance. I dont think I would feel comfortable taking material off the yoke itself. Grinding a bevel on the universal I do not feel it would compromise any strength but since my originals appear to be fine I have not tried any modifications. One I have some miles on the truck I might come back to this.
rdarnell Offline

Previous

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts