Replacement Radiator

Original and compatible parts

Postby RichardMooney » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:14 am

G'day!

Currently working on stripping and rebuilding my '66 G60 over in Australia. It's going to be a long road...!

While waiting for my engine stand to arrive, I had a look at the radiator. It's pretty ratty, the fins are all rusty and falling apart but I thought I'd at least clean it out. Took it apart, cleaned out the tubes, but made a complete mess of resoldering the ends back on, and pretty much ruined the core. Leaks from a few of the tubes, and the lip that fits over for soldering is broken in a few places

Does anyone have any advice on a replacement radiator? It looks like the 160 / MQ radiator is quite different in size. Never done any fabricating or welding (although I'm certainly going to have to learn with the amount of rust on the body panels), but I accept that I'll probably have to make up some brackets.

Alternatively, is replacing the core and keeping the top and bottom pieces an option? The solid brass parts are in pretty good nick.

Cheers,
Richard
RichardMooney Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:52 am

No compatible radiator that I am aware of. The Patrol radiator is a huge beast, most other vehicles have much smaller radiators. It shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement where you're at, G60s abound down there.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Two years ago they replaced the panel on mine, keeping the top and bottom tanks as you suggest. The radiator shop was never able to produce a meaningful part number for the core or the name of their supplier.

It all started as a simple leak in one of the tank seams. As they tried to repair, the soldering kept failing and jumping to other places until they made a sorry mess out of it. They said that it was due to aging of the core.

Member ckhorne did a wonderful adaptation of an aluminum radiator on his Patrol. Take a look at his post:

viewtopic.php?p=27282#p27282
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Peter60 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:53 am

I had a Patrol G60 radiator repaired/reconditioned. I think it was NatRad (in OZ, Canberra). Cost $100.

They were able to get a new core but I didn't go down that path. A new core was about $250.

Suggest contact your local radiator shop.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RichardMooney » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:57 am

That's fantastic, cheers guys. I'll get talking to the radiator guys once I'm a bit closer to completion (so a year or two!).

Nice to know the community on here is so active. Are there a few of us in Oz Peter?
RichardMooney Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:57 am

Many many active Oz members.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny Roadkill » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi bloke,

I had a G60 radiator refurbished for 100 bucks at Adelaide Hills Radiators in Mount Barker SA a few years back, this guy knows his stuff and looks after his customers - we got him to fabricate an oversized radiator for our 4Runner and it's as close to art as a radiator can be, double sealed, extra row and fitted like a factory one.

That G60 radiator I had was generally in ok condition, he said at the time he could source a new core for around 700 bucks fitted, not sure if they're still available but maybe since demand would be pretty low.

Cheers and good luck with the resto,
D
'71 P510 Wagon - the smile generator.
'74 G60H - strawberry farm patrol.
'78 G60H Ute Cab - the cherry on top.
'80 G61H - the start of things to come.
'92 Pulsar Ti - my SR20 powered daily driver.
'01 Kessner 7x4 - the pack horse.
'07 Challenge Camper - home away from home.
'09 Prado - the family fourby and her daily driver.
'14 200EXC - a chainsaw with wheels.
Johnny Roadkill Offline

Postby ozscott » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:23 pm

For what it's worth I have just had my radiator recored, for a 1978 Patrol. It was done by D&D Radiators in Braybrook, Victoria, who are a franchise of NatRad. Total cost was $650AUD. They even re-rounded the inlet & outlet which had been crushed over the years. They took 5 days in total from pressure testing to finished item. They reused the top, bottom tanks as well as the original mounting frame. Pretty pleased with the job, but was surprised at the cost. It is a long time since I have had a radiator recored.
ozscott Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts