Waterproof spark plug wire.

Original and compatible parts

Postby plateaucal » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 am

Does anyone have photos of an original waterproof spark plug wire? A friend of mine in Texas is going to try to convert back to waterproof plugs and any info on the configuration would help. I am hoping to find the plug end parts to make it work.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:35 pm

There wasn't anything special about the plug wires to make them water proof. They are basic plug wires, but the boot on the distributor end has to be cut off. The distributor cap has the screw on ends. Inside of these ends is a fat o-ring. Feed the cut end of the plug wire through the hole in the screw on end, slip the o-ring over the plug wire and snug it up into the end, stick the cut end of the wire into the distributor cap, push the end down and screw it on. Viola - water proof. You'll notice if you look down into the distributor cap terminal there is a pointed spike to push into the end of the plug wire to make contact with the core.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:05 pm

I have the waterproof ends on my distributor side and the install is just like you said. The spark plug end however is different for the waterproof plugs. I am assuming it is just like the aviation or old military ones that I have found photos of. Just wanted to make sure. The parts to make a waterproof spark plug boot appear to be these: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... r-EALw_wcB

It goes like this: http://madscientisthut.com/sdp-pin/html ... rsion.html

Seems straight forward with the Champion 616 plug, but just wanted to make sure. This will be cool if it works....but not cheap!!! The larger compression spring that goes inside the screw on cap is the only part I have not found but that should not be a big deal.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Nothing special about the span plug end that I recall. It is a pretty long boot is all.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts