Steering binds on center

Bottoms out? Shimmies? Shackles, springs, shocks, steering linkage etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Suspension' category are here.

Postby patrolhead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm

We've rebuilt the steering box on the '67 and all should be fine except that it sort of binds up within one turn of the wheel in either direction off center. Perhaps it has something to do with how the shims were installed? We sourced replacement shims from a donor box. Or there is an adjustment that can be made? I seem to recall someone discussing this sort of thing but couldn't find it searching through the archives. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!
'64 drivetrain/'67 chassis project on-going
patrolhead Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am

Does adjusting the free play nut on the top of the box make any difference?
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:44 pm

patrolhead wrote:We've rebuilt the steering box on the '67 and all should be fine except that it sort of binds up within one turn of the wheel in either direction off center. Perhaps it has something to do with how the shims were installed? We sourced replacement shims from a donor box. Or there is an adjustment that can be made? I seem to recall someone discussing this sort of thing but couldn't find it searching through the archives. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Please be aware that the adjuster on the steering box cover does not adjust the steering box as it happens on other boxes. The backlash inside the steering box is corrected by the shims, and the adjuster only keeps the roller shaft in position. You probably have to work with the shims to correct the adjustment. There's always minor variations in the fabrication, so the same thickness of shims might not work the same on two boxes.

The Service Manual, both the old one as well as the 1978 on the Patrolabilia section of the forum have the same adjusting procedure. The diagram at the end is a little confusing.

In the past I had scouted the shims lists of Ratech Manufacturing Co, based in Cincinnati, OH. If you scroll down to the shims in the following link, you'll see shims package #1118, that has an internal diameter of 1.26" or 32mm as the sector shaft. I had to grind the ID with a Dremel tool, to make them fit. Was a very easy task.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/Dimension%20Chart.htm

Three years ago I had to deal with the steering box on mine. You can revisit this thread for some additional notes. In my case, in addition to more free play than the spec, I had to deal with a leaky seal:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4273&p=33405
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby patrolhead » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you Esteban! We will get to work on this and report back how it goes and what we find in our case.
'64 drivetrain/'67 chassis project on-going
patrolhead Offline

Return to Suspension & Steering