Clunking sound

Bottoms out? Shimmies? Shackles, springs, shocks, steering linkage etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Suspension' category are here.

Postby mtnPatrol » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:39 am

Yes, finally!
mtnPatrol Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby mtnPatrol » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Before getting new parts I decided I should further assess the ones I have. When I went to take them apart I found that one end of the pin is threaded with a castle nut on it. The other end of the pin is threaded with a zerk fitting in the end of it. Their is no bolt head to hold while turning the castle nut off. What am I missing?

IMG_20160420_200058.jpg

I removed the zerk fitting in the bottom pin in the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtnPatrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:27 pm

That's the end of the pin that is supposed to stay on the shackle. Normally the end of the pin is knurled and fits into the shackle bracket; the knurled splines keep it from rotating. Since your's are toasted, this is probably where Esteban meant you might need a grinding wheel. Or just a punch and a hammer.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mtnPatrol » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 pm

So normally unbolting the castle nut would not require a wrench on the other end as the gnurling would act as the wrench against the plate? Then you would push the pin out from the castle nut side toward the zerk side?

From what I can see, the lower pin in the picture is beyond toast. I'm still trying to get my head around how this happened. The springs were recently done and the po never got the Patrol on the road. Based on the little I can see of the pin, there is no way he would have reinstalled it as is. And without being driven it couldn't have been damaged after spring installation. Hmmmm.... :think:
mtnPatrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 am

mtnPatrol wrote:So normally unbolting the castle nut would not require a wrench on the other end as the gnurling would act as the wrench against the plate? Then you would push the pin out from the castle nut side toward the zerk side?

Yes. I usually use a deep socket that is smaller than the pin and hammer them out with that.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Suspension & Steering