Clunking sound

Bottoms out? Shimmies? Shackles, springs, shocks, steering linkage etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Suspension' category are here.

Postby mtnPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:34 pm

My Patrol makes a clunking sound when it goes over a bump. When I purchased it, the previous owner indicated that it was due to the slider brackets allowing the spring to hit the shackle mount. Today, I took a look at the springs and the culprit looks to be the rear bracket of each of the two rear shackles.

Here you can see the bracket has a short slider channel. Was that bracket standard on Patrols?

IMG_20160418_173225.jpg

Here you can see the spring end touching the shackle mount with the truck at rest.

IMG_20160418_172958.jpg

The po had the springs re-arched and added a leaf to each of the springs. Could it be that the added leaf was a full length leaf and that is causing the problem? There is one leaf that goes some of the way around the shackle bushing and a second that goes around that leaf and almost all of the way around the bushing. Here you can see both of those leafs at the rear shackle.

IMG_20160418_172841.jpg

Any comments on the current setup and eliminating the clunking would be appreciated. I would rather not put on a longer bracket and raise the ride height any more if I can help it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtnPatrol Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Your shackles are shot. The holes that the pins go thru are rounded out and elongated, allowing the end of the spring to go too high. Looks like the washers are missing also. That usually comes from over tightening the castle nuts.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mtnPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Haha... so they aren't slider shackles. Makes sense, since when I looked up slider shackles I saw much longer grooves and a different orientation. I can't believe he didn't change these out when he redid the springs. I guess it is possible that he thought they were slider shackles but I doubt his shop did.

So I'm looking for four shackle plates then, two for each side as they are all elongated. And adding washers. Should that be it?

Do the bushings integrate with the shackle plates in any way? Do I need a greasable shackle plates to go with the greasable shackle bolts or will any shackle plate work that has the hole spacing needed?

I searched the compatible parts list but nothing came up. I also searched past threads and saw that you mentioned Spectre Off-road as selling compatible shackles. Do you remember which land cruiser shackle is compatible with the Patrol? Any other options for shackles? Have any Patrol owners tried a generic shackle?

Okay, not just a quick question, though they all may be stupid. :D
mtnPatrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Spector Off-Road sells the Patrol shackle. It's not a LC shackle. One set comes with the pins and the brackets, and they are greaseable pins. You can only use the plate that come with the pins. The pins are knurled and so is the hole in the plates.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mtnPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Thank you Leslie.

Just so I'm clear, the pins and brackets must be used together on the Patrol? So could I use the existing bushings and generic pins and brackets? I only ask because, although I can't find the Patrol shackles on Spectre, the LC ones are in the $80-$160 for two pair (http://www.sor.com/cat288b.sor?tabpage=tab2).
mtnPatrol Offline

Postby mtnPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 pm

I also saw Dobinsons was mentioned as selling shackles. Is this the set that fits the Patrol 60 here: http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/4x4-vehi ... ol/niss-65? Does the metal sleeve have to be pressed inside the existing bushing?
mtnPatrol Offline

Postby mtnPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 pm

By the way, if you would rather these posts be in the Leaf Spring Options thread (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1768&start=60&hilit=spring), feel free to move.
mtnPatrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:11 pm

The LC shackles won't work, they're too wide. You have to call Specter and talk to someone, they don't list them online.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mtnPatrol » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:39 am

I think I'm being unclear. I was using the listed prices for LC shackles to estimate what Patrol shackles might cost and hoping there might be another solution which is less expensive.

I'm also trying to get an understanding of how the shackle is constructed before taking it apart and again having a Patrol that is a paperweight for 6 weeks.

I have removed and installed rear leaf spring shackles before but they sound nothing like these. Heck, with those you could even use steel stock and cut holes in it. These sound like they are made up of a Patrol specific pin, sleeve, and plate.

1. Is the sleeve pressed inside the bushing or is that something I can do in the backyard? The ones I have worked with have the sleeve pre-installed in the bushing.
2. Can all the Patrol parts be ditched for generic ones with the desired bolt spacing? I'm trying to understand why these need to be Patrol specific rather than using bushings which fit and generic bolts and plates. If the existing stock bushing is integrated in the Patrol system (which it sounds like) is there a generic replacement bushing that will allow for generic replacement of the bolts and plates?

If the questions I'm asking are stupid, which I'm sure they are, please let me know.
mtnPatrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:15 am

I guess I was trying to give a quick answer to the quick question. :roll: So I just created a new topic instead. :D

There are probably any number of inexpensive shortcuts you can make for shackles, I have seen all kinds of hardware used. Yes, flat steel stock with holes drilled and bolts from the hardware store will work, I've seen it done before. But if you want to do it correctly so you can count on the integrity of the repair, you should get the correct shackles. ToadPatrol's post here describes the parts well, with pictures: http://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1768&hilit=spring&start=90

I don't recall the price of the shackles at Spector, but I got the "friend" discount then anyway. Call Spector, tell them that I referred you, and they will be happy to help you.

On the outer end of the springs there is only a metal bushing that is pressed in to the eye of the spring. The shackle pin fits snuggly in that bushing. Since it is metal to metal you want greaseable shackles to prevent wear. You can easily press the bushing in with tools you have at home. But, from what I am seeing you may not need to mess with the bushing, just replace the shackles.

There is not, to my knowledge, a generic replacement for the shackles. It is Patrol specific. The post from ToadPatrol pretty much explains why.

Don't sell yourself short, there are no stupid questions. We were all newbies once.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Suspension & Steering